PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Strap or Handheld

Montalaar
11-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Hey folks!

I decided to gather as much information as possible from you to help me with my decision. So tell me everything you want to do about wrist releases and handheld releases. What do you like about them, why do you prefer the style you shoot and so on.

Let's see what i can tell you:
Currently i shoot a TRU Wirst Release and i am kind of happy with it but the wrist strap starts to disassemble. Furthermore i recognized some problems with the nerves at my wrist after long tournaments (or more than 300 arrows per day).

Furthermore i own a TRU Backtension Release without a Safety and i just cannot shoot it. My bow will fire when drawing it because the angle of my hand is kind of crazy. Also everything feels very unsafe. I feared this device could break. I am still using it now but for my mini compound bow (tuned it from 7lbs to 15lbs...).

Sometimes i already used a friends Evo+. No problem when drawing back when it comes to the feel but i found it to be very...big. Although i have large hands. It is just so much 'wasted' alloy. So i do not like the feel of most Carter Releases. And i do not like any of those backtension releases that work with a spring. I selled my Carter Backstrap after some weeks of seldom use.

But now tell me: What do you shoot, why do you shoot it, what do you like about it or dislike about it, what would you recommend and so on.

Oh, Alex. No Fingers please.

riesopje
11-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I think it's just a matter of comfort and preference. I shoot a release with a wrist strap because that's what I have always shot and it's more comfortable and stable to me on the draw. I also do a lot of hunting and when it's time to shoot, the release is always there. I do a lot of glassing and switching of equipment ie... binoculars to bow then back to binoculars. I can glass with my release on because it just hangs out of the way. It's easy to set things down in the field and forget to pick them up. This way I know it will always be there. Hope it helps.

Montalaar
11-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks riesopje.

As an additional information:
I am shooting only FITA because i have no time to shoot field yet. It is not allowed to hunt with the bow here so that is -for me- no reason to buy anything special. But keep everything coming, i need to decide if i try a new release or not with the new bow. Oh, there is no option to try one out before...

RogerSr
11-20-2009, 01:57 PM
I have owned a lot of releases, right now i have four, only one is a wrist strap, I like the hand held better, the one i shoot most is a tru ball T-handle push, i also shoot a tru-fire 3D hunter thumb pull release,and a tru ball chappy boss, these are all caliper head releases with head travels independently a full 360, and then i have a tru-fire X caliper wrist strap,
I like the handheld for hunting the best, i can clip it on the string and still use my hand for other things,I've used other ones like the Stan shoot off, but the head did not rotate so i sold it.

alex
11-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Oh, Alex. No Fingers please. :D I use a simple strap release made by the North American Archery ...(can't remember what, may be "association" ). It works good for me, but i can't say how good is it, because i've only seen and tried this one :) By the way i still shoot my other compound with fingers and feel good, but it has longer A2A, about 40" i think.

ezbite
11-20-2009, 03:38 PM
I really like my truball buckle strap, the only problem is that it chaps my wrist and my elbow hurts after about 30 shots. I think it's from the pulling with a loose grip. Someone recommended I try a glove release. Got my truball copperhead glove yesterday and after 60 shots, I really like it, gonna take some getting use to because it's always there on your hand. It also shortened my draw by an inch too which I'm liking:D

bfisher
11-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Simon,

I have used a fair amount of releases over the years. Wrist strap, back tension, and handheld. I prefer the handheld simply because I shoot them better and most (like Carter) are just higher quality releases with finer adjustments and such.

For about the last ten years I've been shooting a Cascade model 8, marketed by Spot Hogg. I have small hands and this is one of the few I tried that is comfortable for me. This is a "thumb relax" model. You draw the bow, get on target, and press the thumb trigger. As you aim you relax on the trigger and it fires. Very clean and precise adjustments.

They also make a model 10 that can be set to fire when you press the thumb trigger or set for "thumb relax" mode. I have one of these, but don't prefer it as it's just not as crisp. It's mainly a backup for me, although I have two model 8 versions. These are all rope releases for target.

If you use a string loop they have come out with two models. One is the Saturday Night Special (close faced)and the other is the Friday Night Delight
(open faced).

None are cheap, at about $100. I plan to try a Sat. Night Special on my Alien this year as I might use a loop. I had tried the Short-n-Sweet a couple years ago, and just couldn't get it to fit me right. As short as it would go it still stretched out too much during the draw. I prefer the feel of precision in my small hand.

Montalaar
11-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Thanks Barry.

Actually 100$ IS cheap. The standard price for releases here is 169 which is approx 200$!

alex
11-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks Barry.

Actually 100$ IS cheap. The standard price for releases here is 169 which is approx 200$!

:eek: :eek: That's almost half of a bow...I got mine for about 45 euros and think it's good enough, can't understand how your dealers can try to take 170 from you for a release. I'd use fingers just to make them angry :D

bfisher
11-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks Barry.

That sounds pretty steep, Simon. I just looked up a USD/Euro convertion chart and it showed $100 equaling 68 Euro (approx). That means you're getting ripped for about $300 for a release that us poor USA consumers pay $100 for.

Man, you guys sure have expensive hobbies.

RogerSr
11-21-2009, 02:38 PM
If I was their I would think about shooting fingers, that's a lot of money for a release, on one of my bows I have over $1.000 in it, but that is with sight and rest and every thing else, it looks like I didn't know how good I have it!

Montalaar
11-21-2009, 02:48 PM
I cannot complain. My bows are pretty cheap and i will pay only 750 for the Shadowcat. That is to my door with sales tax (19% in germany). That is less than a Hoyt Maxxis or any other bow would cost here. And it is top notch and kind of a flag ship.

I can tell you that it is kind of depressing to see the prices on your internet shops and convert them to euro.. But when i would buy in the US i would have to pay another 22% customs just for importing it so the difference is often nearly non-existent.

But back to the topic:
I will try the feeling of my friends Evolution next week. I really like the sensation but i need something to try out if it would work. As the Evolution has the same shape i think it will work.

jpermenter
11-21-2009, 08:35 PM
I have been using a wrist strap but like you after shooting for a while my wrist and elbow start hurting, I would assume because you are pulling a lot of weight with your wrist and elbow with no weight on your actual hand and fingers. I recently tried a Spot Hogg Saturday night special but it is a 3 finger release and I have large hands and it just didnt fit well. Mechanically I loved it but it just wasnt comfortable. to stay in budget I went a little cheaper with a trufire 3d which is a 4 finger that is a little larger and I love it so far. the spot hogg is much better mechanically but is about $50 more expensive and just a little too small for me. Again this is all my opinion and it will be a matter of finding what you like and what fits you. Good Luck!

SandSquid
11-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Strictly for hunting I shoot a True-Fire Bear Paw Glove with an older True-Fire 360 trigger/head assembly mated to it.

For everything else I shoot a TruBall Chappy Boss with a Talon head (rope removed)

RogerSr
11-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I just got another hand release used, it's a tru ball King George model, with thumb and pinky triggers and talon head, so now I have five releases, and four of them are hand releases, yes I like hand releases the best! but you will have to try a lot of them to find the one you like the best, good luck.

Montalaar
12-11-2009, 10:46 AM
I got my Carter Sensation yesterday.

I can tell you that my right hand is hurting now but man.. I LOVE this release! It is just such a different feeling but i really like it. I will need some time to find the perfect anchor and get everything settled but at this moment it is just great to have it. Wow!

RogerSr
12-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Hey Simon,
I wish I had know that you wanted one, I just sold a Carter Sensation on AT

last week for $85 and it had the ITS kit, but it's a graet release enjoy Roger.

Montalaar
12-11-2009, 11:34 PM
I got it for 100 which is somewhat more expensive than 85$ but much more cheaper than 180. A friend of mine - the second german AT moderator 'Honeymonster' sold it to me.

Montalaar
12-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Just another update:

I had to set my drawlength to 32.5" to get a perfect anchor with the Sensation.

Now, is that crazy?

RogerSr
12-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Just another update:

I had to set my drawlength to 32.5" to get a perfect anchor with the Sensation.

Now, is that crazy?

I know that you can get that kind of draw length out of the Razor X
but how are you getting it with the warthog? long string loop?

Montalaar
12-13-2009, 02:11 AM
I am not getting it out of the Hog...

I have a one inch string loop on the Warthog but that does not compensate everything. To be able to shoot the Warthog i have to bend my arm which is not really that good... But maybe i will sell it when the Shadowcat arrives. I maybe know someone who is interested in one for a low price.

RogerSr
12-14-2009, 01:34 PM
talking about releases, I have been selling some of mine, and got a new one,so I'm back at four again, my new one is a Mako by CC Porter. INC. this is one of the best releases I have used, it's very well made and comes with four extra springs, you can set the sear travel and the trigger tension, I like it as well or better then the carters, if you get a chance to try one do it, you won't be sorry.

Spiker
12-14-2009, 01:54 PM
The three finger or four?

RogerSr
12-14-2009, 03:05 PM
The three finger or four?

It's a three finger,and I put on a bigger knob, their is a guy on AT that makes larger knobs the one i put on this release is 7/8"
check it out.