PDA

View Full Version : martin string

bowgramp59
11-20-2009, 03:06 PM
i have a 2009 martin moab! it came with a yellow & tan or grey i can't really tell , anyway if i ordered a string for the bow would i get that same type of string i really like the string. i don't like the grey looking strings that came on a couple of bengals that i had. i think that there is a regular string, the grey one is the yellow string the martin elite?

moab54
11-20-2009, 05:13 PM
I have a Martin Moab I purchased a month ago. The string it comes with is junk. Twists so much your peep will never come up correctly. I put a Vapor Trail string on it and it is fantastic!!
A good string and you will never need a peep that has a condom attached to it. Your peep will come up perfectly with a high quality string. I also had the idler buffed down as the one on them comes with a razors edge for some reason from the factory. My factory string wore out in two weeks.after purchase. 160.00 later I have it shooting like a charm. I also had new wrap serving put on the vapor trail string and increased the speed a couple of feet per second more.
Prior to this I had a Martin Cougar Magnum--great bow- Martin is a great company and makes great bows why they put cheap strings on the bow is just like other manufactuer's ---price points- that is what it is all about.
Martin is a good family company and I will continue to support them.

moab54
11-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Here is the website for Vapor Trail Strings. You cannot do Better!!!

http://www.vaportrailarchery.com/

tommyhydro
11-20-2009, 05:55 PM
you can order the strings off martin website, double helix. my string wore out in about a week or 2 as well and if i didnt have the biggest meta peep G5 makes i would be in trouble, just hopin that the string will hold out for another month or so and then its winners choice all the way :)

drevilmike77
11-20-2009, 07:29 PM
I have Vapor Trail strings and they are awesome. no peep twist and 7FPS more on the old chronograph.

reeladdiction
11-20-2009, 10:42 PM
i have the dakota string on my 2009 firecat which is stock how is this string should it be replaced

tommyhydro
11-21-2009, 05:31 AM
i believe the Dakota strings are better than the double helix strings that the 2009's came with. the Dakota strings come stock only on the pro series bows for 2010

bfisher
11-21-2009, 06:09 AM
In answer to a couple of questions here, the stcok strings (Double Helix) on the Gold Series bows are so-so or hit-or-miss so to speak. Some are good and some not so good. It's not the maerial they are made of, but how they are made and I don't know who makes them.

The ones on my Moab did some twisting and creeping. Not a lot of creep, but the peep rotation does get annoying. A couple things I did was serve those parts where it rolled over the idler and CCS rollers. Then I reserved the center serving. I made my center serving about 3 1/2" long and put some where the string bumps the STS. There is no reason to have one continuous serving to cover both sections. All it does is add weight to the string, robbng the bow of potential speed.

After this the string did settle down after a while and the peep rotated about 10 degrees on the draw, which I can deal with. Another reason I reserve is that I'm real picky about nock fit. Many don't know how much nock fit affects arrow flight and accuracy.

The Double Helix Elite are Stone Mountain Dakota strings. These are a much better quality string. Maybe the same material, or close, as the Double Helix, but put together with greater care. The ones on my 2008 FireCat have been good from day-one. They are a year and 9 months old, soon to be replaced, and the only peep movement I've had has been very minimal. I've had to add 1/2 twist due to a change in peep orientation and there has been no peep rotation whatsoever during the draw.

So for those asking, I'd say you can replace your double helix or play with them a bit and see if they settle down. Might take several hundred shots. Or sometimes adding a few twists to the string can reduce or eliminate peep rotation. Or you can replace them as you wish. There are lots of string makers around that can make a good string for you.

There probably isn't much reason to replace the Dakota strings unless you just don't like the colors or some other personal reason.

bowgramp59
11-21-2009, 07:05 AM
bfisher how do you idenify the double helix elite or dokata string? like i said my string is yellow and tan or grey. i have not had any problems with this string, no stretch or peep rotation. when i replace the string i would like to get one just like the one i have. [ thanks for any info ]

bfisher
11-21-2009, 07:11 AM
The Dakota string is a two colored one that comes in yellow and forest green. Both solid colors.

The Double Helix is the same colors, but are what is referred to as veriegated, meaning it's kind of speckled throughout the strands.

Make any sense to you?

bowgramp59
11-21-2009, 03:50 PM
The Dakota string is a two colored one that comes in yellow and forest green. Both solid colors.

The Double Helix is the same colors, but are what is referred to as veriegated, meaning it's kind of speckled throughout the strands.

Make any snes to you?

yes thank you very much for the info

kjwhfsd
11-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Double Helix are made by Martin.

SandSquid
11-21-2009, 07:06 PM
I have only once gotten a "stock" string on any new bow that I was pleased with....
I usually replace the string withing the first few days. I will tweak and tune till I get the bow shooting sweet, remove the stock strings and keep them as "master's" to make my own from.

All you need is a lenght of uni-strut, a good quality set of posts, a stretcher and some patience, and you can build you own strings they way YOU want them of a fraction of the cost. After about the third set of stings you are running "on the green" side of the profit/loss equation.

I will say that Mrs.Squid's 2009 (custom) Mystic had a great stock string on it. It was the variegated double helix. Sometimes you get lucky I guess. Even a blind squirrel find the occasional nut.. eh?