PDA

View Full Version : i want a new rest, please

ezbite
11-22-2009, 08:31 AM
can someone please suggest a hunting/3D rest? thanks:D

flytier17
11-22-2009, 09:38 AM
The Spot-Hogg Whammy is about the best you will find for the hunting/3-D you intend to do. It is a dropawayrest. Unlike other dropaways, it flexes like a target rest to compensate for the arrows flexing. It is tuneable and timeable. It has vertical and horozontal micro-adjust, and macroadjust for the horozontal. The prongs offer a lot of containment, so it is hard for the arrow to get accidentally get bumped off the rest while walking around the woods. In addition, it never has to be cocked and locked in the up position. it is always up, and ready to draw and shoot. It offers more support of the arrow than any other rest made, by supporting the arrow till just before the fletchings hit the rest. The faster the bow shoots, the faster the prongs are pulled out of the way, so it advusts for any arrow speed without retuning. It is made of heavy-duty aluminum and steel, with brass bushings, and will stand up to anything you can put it through. I own 3, and have never had a problem yet with any of them.

Alec

SandSquid
11-22-2009, 10:17 AM
RipCord...

But wait a month for the 2010's to come out. They are going to be spiffy, that is all I am allowed to say about them at this time.

Or just buy a used 2009 model once all the lemmings run out and buy the 2010's

ezbite
11-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks, keep em comming

RogerSr
11-22-2009, 03:02 PM
I have used Ripcord's for years, I have them on about half my bows, the other half have limbdrivers, it is also a great rest, you can't go wrong with either of them.

reeladdiction
11-22-2009, 08:34 PM
i have the scizor and love it..

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I have a Bodoodle Zapper 300. It's extremely accurate for target shooting but holds the arrow in three metal prongs so you shoot at any angle; even upside down. Just put silencing tape on the prongs for hunting, and you can hardly here the arrow being drawn.

bfisher
11-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Some people may think I'm bonkers, but I use either a Trophy Taker Spring Steel or a SuperStarconverted with a blade. I have no need of or any use for any capture rest. Just more junk to get in the way.

Montalaar
11-28-2009, 01:47 AM
Some people may think I'm bonkers, but I use either a Trophy Taker Spring Steel or a SuperStarconverted with a blade. I have no need of or any use for any capture rest. Just more junk to get in the way.

You say what i am thinking. If you can control the bow and if you can handle the draw weight and have a proper draw length set the spring steel rests (and it does not matter if it is a TT or a SpotHogg or a NAP) will be the best rests. Easy to isntall and to tune. Less problems. Most reliable. Even for tree stands.

bfisher
11-28-2009, 07:59 AM
You say what i am thinking. If you can control the bow and if you can handle the draw weight and have a proper draw length set the spring steel rests (and it does not matter if it is a TT or a SpotHogg or a NAP) will be the best rests. Easy to isntall and to tune. Less problems. Most reliable. Even for tree stands.

Exactly Simon. Having the bow set so it can be controlled goes a long way.

I know the QAD is very popular because of the capture features, but I can't see the need of the two forks on each side of the arrow sticking up another inch. It just takes more time for them to mover down out of the way.

I do have to say I have used a Trapdoor with prongs that are about come up to the top of the arrow. I can cant my bow almost 90 degrees before the arrow tries to roll off the rest.

Then there are those that say "I can shoot my bow standing on my head". Yeah, right. Post a picture of this the next time you do it.

flytier17
11-28-2009, 01:04 PM
I agree with you Barry and Simon, but remember that its not just shooting the bow where containment applies. If you walk with an arrow nocked through the bush on the way to the stand or on a ground hunt, it can be a real pain having the arrow fall off all the time.

Alec

Montalaar
11-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Well, then i'd put it between th blade and the riser. So it would not keep falling off the shelf. When you get near a dear you can always put it back on the blade as there is no sound when doing so...

bfisher
11-28-2009, 03:30 PM
I agree with you Barry and Simon, but remember that its not just shooting the bow where containment applies. If you walk with an arrow nocked through the bush on the way to the stand or on a ground hunt, it can be a real pain having the arrow fall off all the time.

Alec

Alex, this might sound condescending to some, but I would personally never walk or stalk with an arrow nocked and on the rest. Something I used to preach when I was a NBEF instructor was to never do this. One slip or fall could put a broadhead through a leg or some other nasty place and be fatal. Those couple seconds to remove an arrow from a quiver and nock it are not worth a person's life or limb.

Sorry, but I'm hell on safety---first.

flytier17
11-29-2009, 09:54 AM
I see your point Barry. There has only been 1 time where i nocked an arrow while walking out to my stand. I came out of the woods into the swamp right in front of a buck. He never spooked, but he walked away. I was about 10 feet away, but he didn't recognise me as a threat I guess. Anyways, I decided to nock an arrow before he came back. I did so, and was walking to my stand, and a doe started to come up the path behind me. I never got a shot oportunity because she saw me draw, but I would have had even less of an opportunity had I not had an arrow on the bow. I was on a clear trail through the swamp, and other than grass, there was no real alkward obstructions to hamper my movement. However, with the grass, a spring rest would have been a real pain. My whammy was fine for the most part.

A lot of people do spot-n-stalks with a bow. Even if you don't nock an arrow until you are close to the deer (for safety reasons like Barry said), those last few moments where you are waiting for a shot opportunity can pose some situations where an arrow rest that more securely holds an arrow can be appreciated. For example, if you have to move to get around a bush or branch to take a shot, there is an opportunity where the arrow may come dislodged, and spook the deer. Perhaps a blade of grass snags the arrow, or the broadhead touches a branch. With a spring rest, the arrowwill fall off and ting against the riser or shelf. With a more supportive rest, you would most likely see the problem before you dislodged the arrow.

Alec

bfisher
11-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Yours is a point well taken Alex, and I can agree with you on some of it. However, I honestly believe most people who walk around with an arrow nocked are just looking for the ultimate disaster and just haven't found it yet. It's kind of like climbing into treestands and using no safety harness. Disaster only has to happen once and life may be over.

I just guess as I get older I understand how frail the body can be. I know I've done all the negative things we have discussed here and lived to talk about it. That's why I try to advise people on the safety issues. There are just too many headstones in graveyards as a testimonial of how to do things wrong.

Oh yeah fellow, I'm not saying that a blade rest is what people should use or a capture rest should not be used. There's tons of different rests on the market. I'm just saying that people should not use a capture rest as an excuse for common sense.

A good comparison would be how bow quivers have changed over the years. Used to be we just had two rubber gizmos on the bow that the arrows clipped into, with broadheads exposed. Enough people died or were injured and along came the hood to cover those blades. Even after that it took some time before some would use a "modern" quiver. Excuses like "too bulky" or "just added weight" were heard. Well, you don't see any of those old style quivers anymore, and for a reason.

Another one that comes to mind. Since 2004 all treestands come with some form of safety harness. BUT----ya can't make a person use it if they don't want to. People die or are crippled every year because they refuse to use it. And "it always happens to the other guy".

timtim146
12-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah i mean i can understand stalking game but its kinda like the saying dont run with scissors if you fall u can lose an eye.. or worse!

drevilmike77
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
i have a Limb Driver from Vaper Trail.... works great

JohnnyThunder
12-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Last night at the pro-shop I was looking for one of the rests that you guys mentioned in this topic. And the pro-shop guy asked me if I was hunting or shooting targets, and I said I would like to do some of both. He suggested a PSE Archery Phantom and told me that was what he was shooting, so I went with that. It cost quite a bit less than some other rests too.

Anyway, I really like that rest at lot. Maybe its the way he set it up, something to do with a laser, I don't know I wasn't really paying attention but it didn't need any adjustment and its shooting perfect through paper.

I will probably buy another one for my Saber once I get paid again - I've kind of been spending wildly on archery and xmas lately - need to cool it a bit for the next week.