PDA

View Full Version : 291 fps Firecat, but hearing a crack/slap!!

ezbite
11-25-2009, 01:57 PM
took my bow to gander mtn today to chronograph it. im getting 291fps at 70# with a 27" 5575 goldtip expedition hunter at 368 grains (85 grain fieldtip included). im very happy with this except for a loud crack/slap after release. ive been shooting outside and thought i was a little loud, but inside of their 10'x40' range, its real loud. any ideas of what to look for. they told me i need rubber on the limbs and wanted me to get the $55 tune-up. its only 2 weeks old, so no tune-up. they also suggested an octane tripwire rest. my center shot was off by 1/4" i know thats alot. i could see where the fletching was hitting the launcher on the QAD hunter rest. i switched out the launcher to the one with the smaller arms and fixed my center shot, went out back, shot 6 arrows and can still hear the crack/slap now that i know what to listen for, its not as loud, but still there for sure. he also put a square on my cams and there is a lean in the top cam, bottom was good and parallel to the string. is this a defect in my bow?? this lean really does have me concerned. do i need to ship it back?? what do you guys think the crack/slap is comming from. i just shot 18 shots and i am clearing the rest now, but do still hear the crack/slap. thanks

Montalaar
11-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Check for lose module screws. That made my Warthog really loud. better check ALL screws you have anywhere on the bow.

tommyhydro
11-25-2009, 03:28 PM
i had a somewhat similar problem with my cheetah/STS, try moving your STS away from your string, about 1/8", also try to wiggle your STS, that was my problem, the factory set screw to hold the STS got stripped out and i wasn't getting it tight enough, had to fab a new one and my bow is now veeeeeeery quiet, i shot a doe @ 15yds, she was standing with 5 others and the only ones that even knew i shot was the one i did shoot and the one in front of her, the others just stood there. sorry for rambling, but hope this can help you out :)

Jake-the-snake
11-25-2009, 04:43 PM
nope the cam lean isnt a problem, i have a little bit with my bow and im shooting a little faster than you, but the cracking sound is most likely from your STS, or a loose mod. screw:)

bfisher
11-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Yep, check every nut, bolt, and screw you can find on the bow. Check the STS clearance. If nothing is found then check cam orientation. Cams that are over rotated tend to make more noise and vibration.

timtim146
11-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Alright so im guessing this is to close? lol If i move it farther back how much quieter do you think my cheetah will get?

timtim146
11-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh and sorry about the picture being so big.

ezbite
11-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Should the STS be closer to the D-loop or bottom cam?

timtim146
11-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Wherever it can be installed at? lol idk but id guess closer to the d-loop

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-27-2009, 02:07 PM
I don't know if you have a single or dual cam Firecat, but we've discovered that moving the STS closer to the bottom cam on a single cam bow usually quiets the bow down. This may or may not work for a dual cam. I hope this helps.

ezbite
11-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Yes it is the TR2 (2cams). It came with the STS closer to the bottom cam and I moved it because I read it was suppose to be closer to the nocking point, back to the drawing board.lol.

bfisher
11-27-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't know if you have a single or dual cam Firecat, but we've discovered that moving the STS closer to the bottom cam on a single cam bow usually quiets the bow down. This may or may not work for a dual cam. I hope this helps.

FireCat is a Binary cam. The single cam version for 2009 is called a Moab.
I've had both. Kept the FireCat and scrapped (sold) the single cam.

ezbite
11-28-2009, 08:58 AM
ive done just about everything i can think of to quiet this slap, im still getting it. i really starting to think its the QAD rest. i even went down a 2 full turns on the limbs with no difference. i dont want to start sticking chunks of rubber on it but i gotta do something. any suggestions?

Montalaar
11-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Try another rest and see if it changes anything. Maybe some fellow archery around you will help you with that.

bfisher
11-28-2009, 03:36 PM
OK, is the rest hitting the shelf when it drops? If so then maybe a couple layers of moleskin on the shelf or the bottom of the launchers would help. Maybe even a small piece of insulation like that for use around doors. The foam rubber/self stick kind.

Hey, give something like that a try to find out for sure. Better than pulling your hair out. Keep it up and you might look like me. (Thin on top).

ezbite
11-28-2009, 04:05 PM
It's got the v.e.m. Shelf covering on it, but I like the idea of the insulation. By the way, how tight should the v.e.m. screws be? Their snug but will go in more, it just looks like they weren't made to be cranked down. I'll give the insulation a try, if that doesn't work think I'm going to try a limb driver. The QAD was free with the bow, so no loss there. Thanks for the ideas.

bfisher
11-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I do all kinds of jerry-rigging. I just got to thinking that maybe the rest prongs are whacking down on the shelf. I know it's got the VEM cover, but trying to think of anything that might be making noise.

As for the screws holding the shelf cover? Snug. Make 'em too tight and they'll just split the rubber around the screw holes.

NEstickslinger
12-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Is your flethchings hitting your cables as they pass by? Why does it look in the pic like your cable is rubbing on your sts shaft? :confused:

ezbite
12-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Is your flethchings hitting your cables as they pass by? Why does it look in the pic like your cable is rubbing on your sts shaft? :confused:

thats timtim146's bow. i just added a picture of mine. ive got the CCS. fletchings are clearing cables, i just checked, thanks for the thought, you never know:D

timtim146
12-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Is your flethchings hitting your cables as they pass by? Why does it look in the pic like your cable is rubbing on your sts shaft?

lol Yeah its just how the picture is i get plenty of clearance with it on. I hope the servings on the vapor trails im getting hold strong with the ccs and the wheel on this bow though. As seen on my picture i posted in the 3d section my string is destroyed now at the wheel. Id say dangerous now? :(

B_Rad_AK
06-20-2011, 10:16 PM

... also I would definitely put more of a gap between the string and the STS, also I would definitely check the screw holding the STS. You may also want to change to a different shape rubber bumper on your STS, most of the bows I have heard with the style you have were louder than normal, my firecat included, after changing to the newer rubber bumper and checking all screws (they were good), the noise went away. Hope this helps.

cjchasman
06-21-2011, 06:02 AM
I would be interested to see if shooting a heavier arrow combination helps. If you have available to you, give it a try. Just for the H/// of it.

gravedigger
06-21-2011, 06:06 AM
keep in mind..this post is 2 years old.

cjchasman
06-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Oh cr_p! Thanks GD didn't see that.

cj

HawgEnvy
06-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Oh cr_p! Thanks GD didn't see that.

cj

lol-ing. Yeah,CJ,how could you not see that.

that's like...3-2 isn't it A.S.? I'm catching up!

Arrow Splitter
06-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Hawg, I have to commend you. You're actually learning how to read dates.:p Only thing is, GD already mentioned that this thread is two years old, so I'm sorry, this one doesn't count.:p:D

A.S

cjchasman
06-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Hawg and AS...keeping score? :p
I'm glad to be the source of the Ha Ha, but don't tell my wife. She is always saying I don't pay attention and she sure doesn't need anymore proof. :o :)

bfisher
06-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Hawg and AS...keeping score? :p
I'm glad to be the source of the Ha Ha, but don't tell my wife. She is always saying I don't pay attention and she sure doesn't need anymore proof. :o :)

What's her email address? LOL.

cjchasman
06-23-2011, 03:48 AM
She told me once but I wasn't paying attention...lol

bfisher
06-23-2011, 04:04 AM
She told me once but I wasn't paying attention...lol

I'm guilty of that, too. She tells me something and it's "in one ear and out the other". Probably because it's not archery related.