PDA

View Full Version : fraying shooting string

AlienX
12-02-2009, 04:35 PM
My bow isn't that old and the shooting string looks like ive shot a million shots thru it, has anyone else had that issue with the Alien X?

SandSquid
12-02-2009, 08:08 PM
My bow isn't that old and the shooting string looks like ive shot a million shots thru it, has anyone else had that issue with the Alien X?

Wax it recently?

ezbite
12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
my firecats not very old either, ive noticed a little fraying also. i waxed my string almost as soon as i got it home. my serving by my nocking point is showing some yellow string material where its pulling apart. nothing im too concerned about at this point, but you can see the wear for sure.

JeffW
12-02-2009, 10:52 PM
My 09 MOAB is doing the same thing, yes I wax it. Thinking new string, maybe Vapor Trails?

drevilmike77
12-03-2009, 06:22 AM
I had the same problem with my 09 Bengal with STS and CSS. I just got my vaper trails in. I will let yall know how they are and post pics.:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-03-2009, 06:44 AM
As far as I can tell, Martin strings are JUNK! We build custom bow strings with material from BCY. Mine has got thousands of shots on it with no problems.

bfisher
12-03-2009, 08:00 AM

I'm curious as to just where the string is fraying. Are you hitting your arm or something? Are there problems around the idler wheel or cam module? I honestly don't know how other guys treat their equipment, but I've used a lot of factory strings and customs over the years and hardly ever get fraying like some guys---and putting 5000-8000 shots a year through my bows, and I only wax about every 1500 shots or so---maybe more. I don't count.

I read a lot of forums where guys talk about factory strings being junk, and sometimes it's true, but not because of fraying. It's usually poorly assembled string that creep and/or serving separation. Most strings are made of virtually the same materials. Some materials are known to fuzz or get whiskers more than others, but fraying??????????

The last few years I've gotten into some of the more technical side of things and have shortened my draw length to a point where it fits like a glove and haven't even owned an arm guard for at least 7 years.

I do know that some strings get damaged by cams being out of kilter or modules. Then there is the normal wear and tear where they are pulled through a cable slide, but my goodness, this is after almost 2 years on my bow and maybe 15,000 shots.

If your string is actualy fraying as bad as you say then I certainly wouldn't spend good money on a set of custom strings till you find what's causing it in the first place.

moab54
12-03-2009, 12:06 PM
I have posted this before but make no bones about it, there is a problem. The idler wheels on all Moabs and Bengals at my pro shop are like razors on the edge and need to be buffed smooth otherwise they will chew up the string. That and yes their factory strings , by the number of posts here have had the same problem as I.
Call a spade a spade--------Their factory strings are junk!

Since restringing (Vapor Trial)mine and shooting it alot and having the idler smoothed down (you could have shaved with it) it shoots great--but at a added dollar cost.

Older post---
I have a Martin Moab I purchased a month ago. The string it comes with is junk. Twists so much your peep will never come up correctly. I put a Vapor Trail string on it and it is fantastic!!
A good string and you will never need a peep that has a condom attached to it. Your peep will come up perfectly with a high quality string. I also had the idler buffed down as the one on them comes with a razors edge for some reason from the factory. My factory string wore out in two weeks.after purchase. 160.00 later I have it shooting like a charm. I also had new wrap serving put on the vapor trail string and increased the speed a couple of feet per second more.
Prior to this I had a Martin Cougar Magnum--great bow- Martin is a great company and makes great bows why they put cheap strings on the bow is just like other manufactuer's ---price points- that is what it is all about.
Martin is a good family company and I will continue to support them.

AlienX
12-03-2009, 02:57 PM
if i had a camera id show you its looks more like fuzz but anyway its between the serving on the nockpoint and the peep. For a newish bow it looks bad Ive been waxing my string every 500 shots or less just because of that

ezbite
12-03-2009, 07:21 PM
if i had a camera id show you its looks more like fuzz but anyway its between the serving on the nockpoint and the peep. For a newish bow it looks bad Ive been waxing my string every 500 shots or less just because of that

LOL, that's exactly where mines becomming fuzzy or was becomming fuzzy, rewaxed her last night after replying to this thread yesterday.

Hoosieroutdoorsman
12-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Fuzzy sounds a little better lol, Fraying is broken strands or strands of the string bundle starting to shread and that is due to contact with something. Fuzzyness could be due to several things, string material itself, some fuzz`s quicker than others, over stretched during the prestretch process will cause almost immediate fuzzing within the first 20-30 shots. Just keep them slicked down with a good wax and you should be fine. I have made strings for nearly 20 years and used pretty much every material BCY and Brownell has to offer, eventually they all fuzz to a degree thats just the nature of the beast and how well or not so well you take care of your strings.

AlienX
12-06-2009, 04:08 PM
thanks Hoosier i know that ive been waxing enough bout every 300 to 500 shots to keep the fuzz down no mater how much i wax the fuzz is back after 3 shots kind of anoying oh well