PDA

View Full Version : Old rookie with old bow and little money

Gray2Hairs
12-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Howdy,
I'm new to archery and this forum. Knowing nothing about archery I went to a pawn shop and bought an old Martin Lynx Magnum (it just felt right). Found another old Martin on Craigslist that had sights, arrows, release, and other stuff. Total is up to $75. I took some lessons and found that archery is addictive. My Lynx is in great condition but I want something with a bit more letoff so i am considering a 1997 Jaguar compound with 65% letoff also in great shape for $50.

I really want a new Cheetah but I'm not only old and broke but married and if I bought a new bow I'd also be dead so for now it is old stuff.

Martin bows seem to be solid, reliable and after shooting a number of brands the Martins are very comforable for me to shoot. I think I'm hooked.

Gray2Hairs
Spokane, WA

bfisher
12-03-2009, 04:54 PM
You almost sound like you're an antique dealer. Hey, welcome to the forums and shoot what ya have the most fun with. That's what it's all about---fun.

timtim146
12-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah welcome to the forum there are alot of nice people here willing to answer any of your questions. Oh and good job getting them older martins at a pawn shop that much. All the pawn shops around me wont sell anything under $100. (kids bows, the oldest pse ever, a broken oneida,) it all goes for at least a hundred or more haha

Gray2Hairs
12-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Thank you for the welcome. I belong to way too many web forums and this is easily the friendliest one I have participated in and one that I trust the content. I have already received answers to many questions just by viewing the various threads.

I was talking to my archery instructor last night about the old Jaguar bow and he asked me if I was sure my wife wasn't buying me a bow for Christmas...Hmmm. I can wait a little longer before making a decision. She was there when I tried out the Cheetah and saw me acting like a kid with a new toy. Maybe Santa is gonna be real nice to me this year. Hope I've been a good boy.

Later

Gray2Hairs

BRETT760
03-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi, its a so nice and good site ever. Its a really great and fantastic post here in this site. So, thank you for the sharing of your ideas and thoughts to all of us.

willow ms
03-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Hey welcome to the forum. Jaguar is an excellent bow in my opinion. I had two of them and I am tring to buy another used one from my local shop. I want to set up as backup bow. The Lynx Mag is also a good bow in its own right. Martin shooters value all Martin's. I had a Firecat the first year they came out. I would get it back but the guy I sold it to won't sell it! Martin's only mature and ripen with age they don't get old!

Gray2hairs
06-19-2014, 04:43 PM
I just found this old thread I started and laughed at the content. So I though I would fill in the activities. Bought the 1997 Jaguar and shot league for a couple of years with it. Just sold it to a friend and he is really liking the bow. I have a 2010 Cheetah on the way and it will be here next week. I took me 4 years to get it but I have enjoyed the Jaguar a lot. My wonderful wife is so forgiving...at least that's what I hope. I'm not sure how to tell her I bought a new bow...any suggestion?

david nick
06-19-2014, 06:01 PM
buy her a rose ,thats works for me when im in the doghouse ,lol

Arrow Splitter
06-19-2014, 08:27 PM
I just found this old thread I started and laughed at the content. So I though I would fill in the activities. Bought the 1997 Jaguar and shot league for a couple of years with it. Just sold it to a friend and he is really liking the bow. I have a 2010 Cheetah on the way and it will be here next week. I took me 4 years to get it but I have enjoyed the Jaguar a lot. My wonderful wife is so forgiving...at least that's what I hope. I'm not sure how to tell her I bought a new bow...any suggestion?I'm only 21 and not married, so I can't exactly help, but I hope you enjoy the doghouse. LOL

A.S

elkslayer4x5
06-20-2014, 08:58 AM
Glad that you've finally joind us here, and yeah, you're right, archery is addictive! Welcome to the friendlest site on the web! :D

CarlosII
06-21-2014, 04:21 PM
Wife problems? Do what they do...leave it in the closet for a month or so and then take it out and shoot it. If she asks, "Is that another new bow?" you say, "This old thing? I have it for some time now."

That's what they do when they buy clothes. :)

CLT Bluesman
06-21-2014, 09:31 PM
Thats what I do with guns and deerstands. i hide my deerstands in my friends barn. I do have a couple in the garage. But it is such a mess, she will never find them. She don't know how many guns I have in the safe. Shoot, I don't either.

CLT Bluesman
06-21-2014, 09:35 PM
The only time I get caught is when I order scopes on-line. Then I just say "But Honey, it was on sale, and my eyes are getting so bad, besides you paid 6k for super dooper cataract surgery, and this scope is way cheaper, only $300 dollars" Then I wait a week and order the rings, and she does not even question that. It's all about timing. By the way, I buy Burris scopes, really like them for the price.

bfisher
06-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Burris makes good stuff. I kind of wish I had a wife like you guys. My wife always says I made the money so I can spend it as I wish. She has never questioned any of my archery purchases. If she had done so over the last 38 years I could have afforded a much nicer house. And I might still have been shooting my 1977 Arrowstar.

As much as some people think bows have advanced exponentially over the years they haven't changed that much. Back then a bow consisted of a riser, two limbs, some round wheels, and cable and strings. They are still that way today, except that they have gotten faster and shorter. Honestly, the debate goes on, but that 48" bow was still the most accurate I've ever had. Of course, maybe it had something to do with me being younger, better eyes and muscles, and more going on between the ears. Back then I could consistently shoot sub-2" groups at 40 yards.

CLT Bluesman
06-22-2014, 11:36 PM
Sounds like your talking about my Cougar II. 48" with wheels. I could shoot tight groups back in 1981. I used to tack a styrofoam coffee cup on the target and at 20 yards, I could get 6 arrows in there. I don't think I was that good at 40 yards.

I didn't spend that much on archery over the years. I bought the cougar II in 1981, and then just this year I bought the slayer from Jim. I did buy my grandson a Mathews craze last year, but that does not count. My father gave me the Browning Nomad, and the Browning crossbow.

Sounds like you have a great wife!! I have a great one too. She does not bother me too much, as long as I keep it in reason. Couple scopes a year, same with guns for the most part. I really just started again with both archery and guns the last 5 years, and I am going to be 60, so I am going to time out soon. The grandson will have a nice gun collection between his father and me. Shoot he already has a nice gun collection for a 13 year old.

elcid99
06-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Yeah, my wife asks me why I have x # of bows all of the time. I hide them all over the place & move them around in order to keep her on her toes (I unfortunately forget where some are or otherwise lose count) . Her favorite question to ask has remained the same for the 5 years we have been married...... Something like, "when will you be done spending money on your bows?" Tough one to answer. I am always honest with her, so I decided long ago that it was in my best interest to plead the 5th & remain silent.

Sounds bad, but it really isn't at all. She doesn't understand & I do not expect her to. She will get it when my daughter is old enough to pull a string back & asks mommy for a pretty little pink bow! She is definitely a daddy's girl so I look.forward to that day.

Gray2hairs
07-02-2014, 03:29 PM
I do enjoy the banter here. This weekend we are holding a Man Camp with archery as the topic. So far at least 6 people have held and drawn a bow for the first time as we talked about the camp. We arranged for a local owner/guide of Cascade Outfitters in Omak Washington to hold the introductory training. I was not able to get a Martin Dealer to participate, closest functional dealer is 3 1/2 hours away. But we now have 4 Martin bows and 4 Bowtech/Diamond bows for the event. One 12 year old has ordered his bow already so I think we may grow a few archers here. We expect 30-40 guys and most are new to archery. I am amazed that so many have never tried it. Hope you all have a great and safe 4th of July weekend. God bless.

P.S. My wife knows about the one bow and accepted it. The 2nd one I bought I am planning to raffle off at the Man Camp and with luck she will not need to be upset. We do have a nice doghouse though. I keep it up just in case...

bfisher
07-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Sounds like a nice get together. Promoting outdoor sports is always a good way to spend part of your life. Don't forget the kids.