PDA

View Full Version : Old rookie with old bow and little money

Gray2Hairs
12-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Howdy,
I'm new to archery and this forum. Knowing nothing about archery I went to a pawn shop and bought an old Martin Lynx Magnum (it just felt right). Found another old Martin on Craigslist that had sights, arrows, release, and other stuff. Total is up to $75. I took some lessons and found that archery is addictive. My Lynx is in great condition but I want something with a bit more letoff so i am considering a 1997 Jaguar compound with 65% letoff also in great shape for $50.

I really want a new Cheetah but I'm not only old and broke but married and if I bought a new bow I'd also be dead so for now it is old stuff.

Martin bows seem to be solid, reliable and after shooting a number of brands the Martins are very comforable for me to shoot. I think I'm hooked.

Gray2Hairs
Spokane, WA

bfisher
12-03-2009, 04:54 PM
You almost sound like you're an antique dealer. Hey, welcome to the forums and shoot what ya have the most fun with. That's what it's all about---fun.

timtim146
12-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah welcome to the forum there are alot of nice people here willing to answer any of your questions. Oh and good job getting them older martins at a pawn shop that much. All the pawn shops around me wont sell anything under $100. (kids bows, the oldest pse ever, a broken oneida,) it all goes for at least a hundred or more haha

Gray2Hairs
12-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Thank you for the welcome. I belong to way too many web forums and this is easily the friendliest one I have participated in and one that I trust the content. I have already received answers to many questions just by viewing the various threads.

I was talking to my archery instructor last night about the old Jaguar bow and he asked me if I was sure my wife wasn't buying me a bow for Christmas...Hmmm. I can wait a little longer before making a decision. She was there when I tried out the Cheetah and saw me acting like a kid with a new toy. Maybe Santa is gonna be real nice to me this year. Hope I've been a good boy.

Later

Gray2Hairs

BRETT760
03-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi, its a so nice and good site ever. Its a really great and fantastic post here in this site. So, thank you for the sharing of your ideas and thoughts to all of us.

willow ms
03-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Hey welcome to the forum. Jaguar is an excellent bow in my opinion. I had two of them and I am tring to buy another used one from my local shop. I want to set up as backup bow. The Lynx Mag is also a good bow in its own right. Martin shooters value all Martin's. I had a Firecat the first year they came out. I would get it back but the guy I sold it to won't sell it! Martin's only mature and ripen with age they don't get old!