PDA

View Full Version : martin threshold package

rickyjames
12-04-2009, 12:35 PM
hello, new here, 1st post. i am interested in the martin threshold package as gifts for xmas. has anyone used this bow? any feedback? they would be presents for myself and sons, none of us have any real bow experience. thanks.

baerman
12-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Hey Ricky James,
I saw the Threshold in the 2010 catalog, and it looks like a really solid bow. Frankly, I think that you'll be very please with it.....most bows can shoot better than the archer, and while I'm new to Martin, I'm old to "string-guns". My only regret.....I discovered Martin later rather than earlier.
________
Suzuki K125 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_K125)

rickyjames
12-04-2009, 03:54 PM
thanks, well maybe i stumbled onto something good here. i know the martin name is respected but i'm not familiar with the products. since it is an entry level bow i guess i wondered just how entry level it is. i think i may give it a try. actually 3 trys, myself and my 2 sons unless i hear something bad.

timtim146
12-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Yea i haven't seen anyone shoot the bow yet because of how new it is but im sure it its a very solid bow and it should shoot great. Archery is a passion and its very addicting so who knows. Im sure it will grow on you :D

JohnnyThunder
12-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Not to discourage you from trying the threshold or anything, but since its near xmas time and at the end of the 2009 model year - you might consider looking on eBay. If you look around and don't mind getting last years model instead of a new 2010 you can buy Martin's top of the line for about the same price as entry level. Just something to think about.

fxdwgkd
12-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Not to discourage you from trying the threshold or anything, but since its near xmas time and at the end of the 2009 model year - you might consider looking on eBay. If you look around and don't mind getting last years model instead of a new 2010 you can buy Martin's top of the line for about the same price as entry level. Just something to think about.

I will attest to that. Hey there guys I am new to this place, and new to martin bows. I just purchased an 09 Firehawk for 350 (that's darn near half price) to my door. It may not hurt to look around.

scottdc
02-09-2010, 11:09 AM
does or has anyone put a peep sight in, wit hthe orriganal string it came with. its seem that the string is not twisted. or i would be willing to shoot wothout the peep if its posable for a first timer. in a add for this bow, i seen the guy in the video useing a release, but did not have a d-loop, why?

alex
02-10-2010, 01:24 AM
You can shoot the bow 30-50 times without a peep in order the string to stretch and find its place and then put the peep. You can shooth both from the string or with a d-loop - i use a d-loop because i think it's more forgiving to the string.

coma
06-17-2010, 06:56 AM
I own this bow and very pleased.. when I can smoke a target at 60 yards very very pleased I need to get a better site and rest and with an upgraded quiver it looks and shoots very clean. Next time I think about it Ill do a video at different yardages just to show how str8 this thing shoots.. 10thru60 yards at 60 yards depending on wind conditions arrow flight is awesome had it crono'd for a second time and was shooint 294fps 1st time was 295 but thats set at 65lbs might hit 299 at 70lbs im sure you could get more speed if you wanted but for an out the box bow at the price ill take this thing and put it thru normal abuse this season and reply back... like i said a new site,rest and quiver an this thing will last many of seasons

chris001979
11-21-2011, 05:09 AM
ok im very dissapointed in this bow first of its very cheaply made the arrow rest is complete junk you cant adjust the draw weight in any direction the bolts will not turn the bow is louder than my truck starting up and has no power the bow is just complete crap. I had to adjust the sight so much for 20 yards there is no adjustment left and the other 2 pins are useless i guess ya get what ya pay for and for another 100 bucks you could get a nice used pse or even a new stinger and have 100 times the bow this is a childs toy not a killing machine and i have the 2011 martin threshold right hand 60 to 70 lbs and its set at 27 inch draw im using some cheap carbon arrows i bought at gander mountian had them cut there to 28 inches the arrows are the 6075's and the feild tips are 100 grain the bow is a waste of cash end of story

elkslayer4x5
11-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Since this was first posted back in Dec 09, the Threshold has proved to be a lot of bow for the begining archer, and most report that they are very pleased with the purchase. In your case, it sounds that your anchoring kinda high, move you anchor point down some, and you'll find that you'll have an inproved sight range.

HawgEnvy
11-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Wow! new guys coming outta the woodwork. lol welcome to all of you. i dont have any experience with the Threshold. i doubt it's complete crap as stated,but neither is it top of the line. it is an entry level bow. something to get started in this great sport w/o breaking the bank. as long as the shooter does their part,the bow will kill deer. its not a parallel limb design,so it will be louder and have noticeable hand shock compared to higher end bow. there are plenty of products on the market that will take care of the bulk of the noise. look at limbsavers and bowjacks and the limbsavers stabilizers to start if you feel the need to quiet it down. also,a heavier arrow will absorb some of the energy making it quieter also.

find a good pro shop that's a Martin dealer and ask if they have any 2010 Martins in stock. if so,you may be able to get a higher end bow for less $$. they will usually deal on the price to make room for the newer models. specifically,a Cheetah or Exile(same bow,different name). alot of members shoot these and will tell you,they're an excellent bow at a good price. i chose a Cheetah over newer Hoyts. it shot just as nice for 1/4 the price of a big name bow.

if you need help setting the bows up,feel free to ask any questions you have. Martin bows can be worked on completely without a bowpress. with our help,you can be your own bow tech. Martin's customer service is THE best in the archery business if you ever need them. unfortunately,though,the CS department doesn't monitor the forums. so any issues you have as far as warranty work will require a phone call directly to Martin.

this is a very helpful sight and the guys here are very cool and laid back. that's the way we like it and as long as you're respectful and keep attitudes in check,all is well.

gravedigger
11-21-2011, 07:06 AM
ok im very dissapointed in this bow first of its very cheaply made the arrow rest is complete junk you cant adjust the draw weight in any direction the bolts will not turn the bow is louder than my truck starting up and has no power the bow is just complete crap. I had to adjust the sight so much for 20 yards there is no adjustment left and the other 2 pins are useless i guess ya get what ya pay for and for another 100 bucks you could get a nice used pse or even a new stinger and have 100 times the bow this is a childs toy not a killing machine and i have the 2011 martin threshold right hand 60 to 70 lbs and its set at 27 inch draw im using some cheap carbon arrows i bought at gander mountian had them cut there to 28 inches the arrows are the 6075's and the feild tips are 100 grain the bow is a waste of cash end of story

welcome to the forum.are you new to archery?do you know how to tune a bow?is this your first martin?

so you have your self a bow that is really ment for the first time archer,and yes it can be tuned to shoot great.infact it will shoot better then anyone who gets behind the bow,take some time to ask questions about tuning your bow in a new thread and we can get you shooting it.or worst case throw it up on the classifieds here or on archerytalk(i bet your a member there) and get a bow that fits you.

i do have a question,did you shoot the bow befor you bought it.all you problems should have been noticed if you shot befor you bought.

again welcome to the forum.we are a bunch of goood ol boys itching to help a guy out.best of luck to you and happy shooting.

chris001979
03-03-2012, 12:28 AM
No i did not shoot it first i bought it offline the bow has been tuned but still shoots like crab it is only shooting about 30 yards flat out i can adjust the sight all the way down at the anchor point and put the bottom pin all the way down and at 40 yards the arrow hits the ground 5 yards before the target at a loss of words for how disappointed i am in this bow

chris001979
03-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Yeah spend the extra 100 bucks and get a real bow pse all the way

droppixel
03-03-2012, 04:17 AM

First mistake imo. Find it hard to believe that you would have to adjust the sight that much, ever think that your center-shot was off or that it wasn't set up properly from the start?

No i did not shoot it first i bought it offline the bow has been tuned but still shoots like crab it is only shooting about 30 yards flat out i can adjust the sight all the way down at the anchor point and put the bottom pin all the way down and at 40 yards the arrow hits the ground 5 yards before the target at a loss of words for how disappointed i am in this bow

Other part of all of this, if you were that unhappy, what is the point in coming back 3 months later to dig up this post? And going off the first part, I'm going to put my money down that it is operator error and not the bow. This is where I'm going to get a little defensive in that this isn't a place for trolls. If you want to try to stir up drama and bash the company who's forum this belongs to - do that else where. Everyone is here to help and share what they know and learn what they don't.

Digger asked questions specific to you that when unanswered until today where you come back for this? Really?

NuttyNative
03-03-2012, 05:27 AM

Or, you could'a used that $100 and got a 2011 Ridge Hunter, Firecat, Bengal, or possibly a Pantera online. I watched a new (in box) 2010 Cheetah go for $174 + free shipping, yesterday on ebay. Take a deep breath, and start tinkerin with it rather than flame your choice. It's a good bow for the price if you give it a chance. You may want of move your peep one way or the other to help with the sight issue.

gravedigger
03-03-2012, 10:06 AM

feel free to post it up on the classifieds if you no longer wat to keep it?im sure some new archer would love to have it.

Double S
03-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Members have been trying to help you out here but you seem to not want the assistance. We would gladly try to help you . Post some pics, the gear your using so that we can try and help you. Post a picture of the peep, rest, etc. Right now it just seems that your trolling. We can't help you unless you want the help.

p.s. I removed foul language in your post.

chris001979
03-03-2012, 01:03 PM
It just has the sight and arrow rest it came with i bought a different rest off ebay it should be here Monday or Tuesday and i think my brother has a better sight for it didn't mean to up set any one on here and thanks for the help

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Apology excepted, Now lets see if we can help you to the fullest of our knowledge. We have helped a lot of people on here. I will have to say there are a lot of knowledgeable members on here who can answer questions you have.

Oh btw welcome to the forum!

Hutch:cool:

Double S
03-03-2012, 01:21 PM
It just has the sight and arrow rest it came with i bought a different rest off ebay it should be here Monday or Tuesday and i think my brother has a better sight for it didn't mean to up set any one on here and thanks for the help

No problem. Welcome to MTF. I recommend that you have a Martin dealer take a look at your new bow once you get your rest and sight put on. If you don't have one nearby, Take a look at Nuts & Bolts Book. it's free. I printed it out and placed it in a binder. It's always at the ready when I need something Archery related.

http://archeryhistory.com/archerytalk/The_Nuts&Bolts_of_Archery.pdf

chris001979
03-05-2012, 10:41 AM
First off i want say in sorry for acting like a jack *** and i changed the sight and arrow rest and the bow shoots 100 times better it not as true as some but i can at lest hit the target at 50 yards now not a bad starter bow at all

droppixel
03-05-2012, 11:50 AM
We are all here to help. More info on the set-up, etc will be let everyone provide more info for you to make things even better. What arrows are you shooting/spine/length/tip size - what draw# and length are you going with?

From there a good amount of information can be giving on where to start with things and how to get things in tune so they are shooting lights out. My Cheetah, not the highest end bow out there, I would put that up against any other bow from any other company any day of the week. Why, because I know the thing inside and out and have it dialed down perfectly for me.

chris001979
03-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Ok im shooting beaman carbon fiber arrows 400 spine the bow is set at 70 lbs 27 inch draw had the arrows cut just a tad over 27.5 100 grain field tips the weigh around the 386 grains

chris001979
03-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Was out shooting today nd the top fully is very noisy on draw back it goes squeak every pull

wscywabbit
03-05-2012, 01:28 PM
could be a few things... first I'd look over the limbs, see if there's any obvious signs of cracks, maybe even take a cotton ball and just wipe them down; if it tears the cotton ball up you may have micro-cracks

second, look at the wheel (top) see if it has any noticeable lean one way or the other. If it does you can take the buss cable on the high side off and give it a twist or two to bring it even, or let out a twist or two on the other. (you'll need to either press the bow to do this or turn the weight on the limbs down until you can pull them off by hand.

Last would be to take the limbs off, and grease the contacts, barrel nut and bolt with white lithium grease...

chris001979
03-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Was just going to dab a little 3 in 1 oil on the pully or do you think that's a bad idea i originally put the bow together and took it to a very well known shop to have it tuned and the guy who tuned it put the d loop in the wrong place and just said ok looks goods and sent me on my way i don't want to bash the place i took it but i sure won't take it back granted he wasn't a Martin dealer and he was in a hurry but still

chris001979
03-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Ok i looked at the pully and it is straight from what i could tell so i just used a dab of that 3 in 1 oil on both sides of the pully right where the shaft goes through the pully and the squeak went away i can't wait to shoot again cause i had the rest and d loop redone and leveled it was way out of whack it was amazing it even shot at all

droppixel
03-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Was out shooting today nd the top fully is very noisy on draw back it goes squeak every pull

One other thing to keep an eye on is the cable rod, I had this happen with my Cheetah and thought it was the idler wheel and also coming from the limb-pockets. The rod was a little loose so it made a creak when I cam to full draw as tension was placed on the rod as the cables came back.

Money Man
03-06-2012, 04:44 AM
You can also try powdered graphite instead of oil. It does not gum up like oil and it is not affected by temperature. You can find it near the lock sets in the hardware stores.

droppixel
03-06-2012, 04:58 AM
You can also try powdered graphite instead of oil. It does not gum up like oil and it is not affected by temperature. You can find it near the lock sets in the hardware stores.

2 things and only 2 things I use for any lubrication on my bows are Graphite Powder and White Lithium Grease. Both found right next to each other basically at most hardware stores.

chris001979
03-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the info i will clean the 3in1 oil off and pick up some graphite to windy here to shoot today but soon as i can i will let you all know how it shoots now that the bow has been properly tuned

chris001979
03-07-2012, 04:23 AM
Darn wind and weather here is just crazy 63 for a high but 20 to 30 mph winds no shooting today looks like id go to preslys but its an hour drive and i haven't shot it since the new tune job can't wait tho

droppixel
03-07-2012, 04:59 AM
Same here, got 30mph gusts. Hope it calms down for this evening, would like to get some more shots to break in my new strings. even if it is just 20 yards.

bfisher
03-07-2012, 06:32 AM
OK, I took a look at the Threshold from the website. This bow has a split (Y) harness attaching the cable to the top axle. Older technology, but it worked for years and still does. The squeaking you heard might be/have been the little plastic buttons that the split harness attaches to. These are often not lubed, but as the bow is drawn they usually rotate a bit as the limb flexes on drawing the bow. Being a dry spot they can squeak. A little drop of some kind of teflon lube or even silicon spray can alleviate this.

One other source that could end up squeaking or chattering this the cable slide on the rod. Best remedy here is to remove the cables from the slide if possible, paying attention to which cable goes in what groove. Slide the it off the rod and clean the inside of it with a QTip and alcohol. Then use a tissue with alcohol on it to clean the rod. An even better solution is to replace the slide with a teflon unit if yours isn't already teflon. Even then a periodic cleaning of the rod keeps things hunky dory.

droppixel
03-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Even better than that is getting a Saunders Hyper Glide slide - have one on my Cheetah and it is awesome!

chris001979
03-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Ok so i thought i had my bow fixed and ready to go but that's not so. no matter what shop take it to no one can tune it had it all redone as far as the d loop arrow rest and sight but no matter what the bow just dose not shoot right its all out of whack and You have to adjust the sight all the way to the right just to get it to hit a target at 20 yards im about to wrap this thing around a tree 309 648 3387 i have had the bow to 2 different bow shops but no one can fix it they both said the my bow is basically junk due to poor quality

chris001979
03-13-2012, 02:31 PM
I have well over 400 tied up in this thing wit my sight rest fuel to take it back and forth from shop to shop

wscywabbit
03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Sounds to me like you're either getting fletching contact somewhere, or your arrows are too limber (looking at Beman's chart, 27.5" arrow and 70# single cam bow is right on the edge)

Make sure you're not getting any riser contact by taking some foot powder spray and spraying your arrow shelf and riser. Shoot an arrow and see if the powder has been disturbed.

Shoot a group of fletched arrows at a single spot. Then shoot a couple unfletched arrows at the same spot. If they hit to the right of where the others hit, your arrows are too limber and you need to up your spine to a 340.... or maybe shoot a lighter tip.

chris001979
03-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Isn't the 400 spine what it calls for i mean really shod i be even having this issue i know my buddies don't have any issues with there bows granted they paid more and shoot pse or mathues but still even at that i feel i got took on this bow its been nothing bit trouble from day 1

chris001979
03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
I just don't know what to do any more in not getting any fletching contact guess i give up cause i have way to much cash tied up in this bow to just dump more money in it i could of bought a really nice bow for what i paid to get this one where i am and its still not acceptable i wouldn't even hunt with it at this point

bfisher
03-14-2012, 06:27 AM
You would probably be better off with a 340 spine if you're stuck on the idea of shooting 70#. Or you could try dropping the draw weight down to about 65# and see what happens. And if you are trying to tune with broadheads quit doing so till you get it done with target points.

chris001979
03-14-2012, 07:58 AM
My buddy has some mutiny 340 cut to 27.5 and they shoot the same as my 400 and no i am only using the 100 grain bullets not the broad heads its not the issue the issue is there is no more adjustment left on the sight and yet it still shoots right can of gas and a match will fix it lol

droppixel
03-14-2012, 08:57 AM
My buddy has some mutiny 340 cut to 27.5 and they shoot the same as my 400 and no i am only using the 100 grain bullets not the broad heads its not the issue the issue is there is no more adjustment left on the sight and yet it still shoots right can of gas and a match will fix it lol

I'm going to bet that if you are shooting far right and that you have no more adjustment in your sight that your center shot is WAY off. I might have this backwards but you would need to move your rest away from the riser if you are hitting far right.

chris001979
03-14-2012, 01:52 PM
I was just told that by someone else as well i am going to try that tomorrow if nothing else the great folks at tech support told me to just box it up send it to them and they would get it going for me awsome customer service thanks for all of your guys help

droppixel
03-14-2012, 04:25 PM
I was just told that by someone else as well i am going to try that tomorrow if nothing else the great folks at tech support told me to just box it up send it to them and they would get it going for me awsome customer service thanks for all of your guys help

The help will always be here, but keep in mind as joel said in another post - You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar

gravedigger
03-14-2012, 06:22 PM

so does this mean you want to lock you thread in the classifieds for the time being