PDA

View Full Version : How do I know what size of Arrow length and weight I need?

Unregistered
06-08-2006, 04:11 PM
I have a used 04 Martin Tracer LT with a wisker bisket arrow rest and a 29" draw. Is there a calculation a person can do to find the length of arrow needed or does a person need to go in and have a shop measure your length?
Does anyone know of a good arrow combination with this model?
Thank you,
Mark

dgmeadows
06-09-2006, 03:18 AM
Check the Easton archery website (or any other arrow manufacturer) they will have either charts or a fill-in-the-blank program to help you select the right arrow. The draw weight, type of cam, type of release, length of arrow you want to use, & weight of point are some of the factors to be input.

As a general rule, they recommend you have about 1 inch of shaft in front of the point where your arrow last touches the rest. That is probably conservative; I generally use about 1/3 to 1/2 inch past the front of the rest. However, you should keep in mind that the shorter the arrow, the stiffer it will be. The AMO standards for "spine" are based on a set length of shaft, I believe it is 30", but it might be 28 or 29. The point is, if you have a really short draw length (say 25"), you may need to use a little longer arrow to help make tuning a little easier.

The Easton program will tell you several options, from ultra light to heavy weight. The choice is up to you. If you have a Martin, it should be warranted for use of arrows weighing not less than 5 grains per pound of bow weight (that is total arrow weight, including point - thus 60 lb bow = 300 grain arrow min.) For most shooting, there is no need to go that low, unless you just want to shoot through a crono and brag about how fast your bow shoots (some people actually do that.) I love fast bows - I generally buy faster rated bows, but I then equip them with arrows a little heavier than the minimum (generally about 30 -50 grains higher). I still get the flat-shooting speed benefit, but without pushing my bow's limbs too much.

Hope this helps.

Bubba101st
06-09-2006, 03:38 AM
From your post it would apear that you where never measured. If not the bow may not fit you. Meaning the draw could be to short or to long. If the draw is to short, you wont reach the vally (letoff) point and will not get the full performance of the bow. If it is to short you wont be comfortable shooting the bow. You could also loose some accurassy.

When I get arrows I buy them cut 1/2" longer than my draw as a general rule of thumb. The bows draw length is measured from the front of the riser at the top of the handle to the point of the string at full draw. You need to make sure that the broadhead (if this is a hunting bow) if far enough forward so you dont have a chance to cut your hand when you come to a full draw.

There is also other stuff you need to cocider when buying arrows. The spine or stiffness of the arrow, FOC and a few others. I would suggest that you go to a pro shop and ask for some help. you can also go to archerytalk.com and ask a few questions there. They are a great bunch of guys and I haven't seen then say any question is dumb or stupid.

Myk
06-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Since Martin cams on a Tracer are either adjustable with modules on Dyna or on the cam with Tru-Arc and they have a 26"-31" or 27"-31" range, odds are it will fit.
You might need a module pack if it's Dyna and didn't come with one.
If you didn't get the manual with the bow either download it from Martin's website or contact them. That will show you how to adjust the draw length.

Since you seem new and don't know what proper form is you should have someone who knows good form measure you and give you some shooting tips. But it can be done by trial and error.
If you have the Tru-Arc or the module pack you could try the wingspan method and go with how it feels. It's not exact for everyone so you will probably have to adjust from there.

Wingspan.....drawlength
63------------24
64------------24 1/2
65------------25
66------------25 1/2
67------------26
68------------26 1/2
69------------27
70------------27 1/2
71------------28
72------------28 1/2
73------------29
74------------29 1/2
75------------30
76------------30 1/2
77------------31
78------------31 1/2

Leave your arrows at least an inch long to start with because you likely will change your form as you get better.

A bow's draw length is measured from 1.75" ahead of the deepest part of the handle where the web of your thumb goes, that is not always equal to the front of the handle.
Proper form has the nock of the arrow about at the corner of your mouth at full draw.

PLASTIC PAUL
06-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Great advice......Once you have a good idea on your draw length we can better recomend a shaft for you. It will quite honestly depend a little on the cams on the bow as well. On my Nitrous cams I shoot an arrow on the softer side of the spine range.