PDA

View Full Version : hmmm hoyt parts on a martin bow?

brushrat
12-08-2009, 09:30 PM
i have a dilemma. My 09 bengal with the straight cable guard and slide has too much lateral pull because of the new side mounted CCS/Cable guard system. With 2" blazer vanes i have very near 3/8" vane clearance. I found a way to get that down to slightly over 1/8" clearance by using Hoyts standard black (plastic ??)cable glide and still be able to use my straight carbon (martin) rod.

The other solution would be to buy a aftermarket 8" dog-legged guard and use my original martin teflon slide and have total adjustability. However.....i have heard some bad things about the steel dog-legs. One , is that the blk. coating comes off fairly easily and can cause chatter and two, they are prone to bending. I have no idea if that is just hearsay or gospel. I was hoping some of you that have used the doglegs could comment on them.......

I need to buy either the cable guard or the hoyt slide (my son wants his back...dogonit). So the cost is probably going to be about the same. Does anyone have an opinion as to which solution would work the best???? Or is there a 3rd solution?? would appreciate any comments. Thanks:)

Montalaar
12-09-2009, 12:21 AM
There are more cable slides that give you less clearence than the one made by Hoyt. But in my opinion this is the best way to go. I have some dog-legged cable guard rods here and when installed they all tend to bent.

bfisher
12-09-2009, 06:31 AM
I'd go with the cable slide idea first. It's probably the easiest route. If that doesn't work well enough then Martin does make a steel rod (Part # CG5) in
8" and 9" lengths. Of course, any 3/8" doglegged rod would work. I assume you already know you'd have to get an adaptor to mount the rod where the CCS bolts on.

I'm not sure the rod would take a permanent bend although I have seen a lot that do bend inward as the bow is drawn and more force is applied to the cables. I believe, though, that the rod actaully snaps back to it's original position as the bow is shot.

RogerSr
12-09-2009, 08:47 AM
I use a Hoyt cable slide on my Bowtech Guardian, it has the same offset as the bowtech one but it does not eat up my cables, I mix brand parts all the time, if it works use it!

brushrat
12-09-2009, 09:27 AM
There are more cable slides that give you less clearence than the one made by Hoyt. But in my opinion this is the best way to go. I have some dog-legged cable guard rods here and when installed they all tend to bent.

Montalaar........do you have another one in mind? the hoyt provides 3/4" reach from the C/L of the cable guard to the "cable" groove on the slide. I know that because i measured the one on my sons Reflex bow. None of the slides advertised give any dimensions at all. I would welcome other brands that have at least 3/4" reach and would really like to have the teflon material. (which i don't think the Hoyts are but the reach is great.)

I never thought I'd ever have to deal with too much clearance! If anyone knows of an aftermarket one with that much reach , i would sure like to know about it. An easy way is to measure is to hook the blade of the tape measure on the cable and measure on up to the center of the cable guard while still on the bow. It only takes a second. If there are others that would work i would sure be interested!

oh, bfisher in answer to your question, the answer is yes. That adaptor you're referring to is basically just a grooved plastic clamp that secures it into the CCS location that allows the use of a guard. thanks:)

brushrat
12-09-2009, 12:31 PM
I use a Hoyt cable slide on my Bowtech Guardian, it has the same offset as the bowtech one but it does not eat up my cables, I mix brand parts all the time, if it works use it!

good to know....thanks for the imput Roger. Don't suppose you know of any other aftermarket ones that have the same dimensions ??? Just curiuos , did you switch because you heard that the hoyt was easier on strings or because it DECREASES the amount of vane clearance by having less pull?

It would be nice to know that a person has a choice even though the Hoyt sounds like the answer. thanks:):)

bfisher
12-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I was thinking of suggesting the teflon model by Martin, but following your suggestion I measured to one on my FireCat and it comes up to just about 1/2" measuring your way.

Then I dug out my Lancaster catalog and see what you are saying. Nobody gives any kind of measurement.

So now I have to do a reassessment. You might be just as well off to use the Hoyt slide or change rods. It's too bad I don't keep all the stuff I get because I did have a stainless rod with teflon coating that would have been just what you are looking for. Made by Martin a couple years ago. Unfortunately I gave it away with a bow that I sold last year.

I can see what you mean about the finish on the present steel rod. I don't know how well it would hold up so I wouldn't stick my head on the chopping block and say it would work. Oh, I know it would work, but for how long?

Looking further in Lancaster's catalog there isn't much to choose from. The only other option I see that might be suitable is the Windstalker, but that's a cool 65$ and mounts where the STS is.

Sorry I couldn't help more. I'll keep my eyes open.

brushrat
12-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I was thinking of suggesting the teflon model by Martin, but following your suggestion I measured to one on my FireCat and it comes up to just about 1/2" measuring your way.

Then I dug out my Lancaster catalog and see what you are saying. Nobody gives any kind of measurement.

So now I have to do a reassessment. You might be just as well off to use the Hoyt slide or change rods. It's too bad I don't keep all the stuff I get because I did have a stainless rod with teflon coating that would have been just what you are looking for. Made by Martin a couple years ago. Unfortunately I gave it away with a bow that I sold last year.

I can see what you mean about the finish on the present steel rod. I don't know how well it would hold up so I wouldn't stick my head on the chopping block and say it would work. Oh, I know it would work, but for how long?

Looking further in Lancaster's catalog there isn't much to choose from. The only other option I see that might be suitable is the Windstalker, but that's a cool 65$ and mounts where the STS is.

Sorry I couldn't help more. I'll keep my eyes open.

yea , my martin one is about 1/2" also...that is a full 1/4" more side pull than is neccessary. Didn't have a problem on my 08 bengal as it was centered on the back of the riser rather than side mounted like the 09. Anyways thanks for the info. and time you spent looking. I was in hopes someone would come back with an aftermarket one that would be the same dimensions as the hoyt ...as i don't have a hoyt dealership around my neck of the woods.:mad: Thanks Del

RogerSr
12-09-2009, 05:47 PM
good to know....thanks for the imput Roger. Don't suppose you know of any other aftermarket ones that have the same dimensions ??? Just curiuos , did you switch because you heard that the hoyt was easier on strings or because it DECREASES the amount of vane clearance by having less pull?

It would be nice to know that a person has a choice even though the Hoyt sounds like the answer. thanks:):)

I tryed a lot of them,Alpine Mach 5-Sanders hyper glide, and had to much clearance, the hoyt was the best I could find, good luck!

brushrat
12-09-2009, 06:01 PM
I tryed a lot of them,Alpine Mach 5-Sanders hyper glide, and had to much clearance, the hoyt was the best I could find, good luck!

yea ,thats what i concluded . Iv'e read about guys on other forums that are buying those because they don't have enough clearance. Anyways ,thanks for your imput. :)