PDA

View Full Version : String broke at full draw

RogerSr
12-09-2009, 06:01 PM
I just put new string and 4 cables on my Razor X about four days ago, well I was shooting it today and the string broke at full draw, cut the inside of my left wrist all the way to the bone, had one hell of a time to stop the bleeding
I will not say the brand of the strings till I talk to them, but to say that I'm upset is being kind, anyone ever have this happen to them? I've been shooting archery for more then fifty years and never have seen this happen.

bigbob
12-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Never broken a string but being someone of your vintage had a teardrop let go on an old compound with steel cables years ago. Not quite as drastic an outcome as yours but still enough to make me gunshy for quite a while. Incidently notice you have a couple of Razor x's . What would be your opinion of them as a hunting bow [ with the SE limbs] for a guy who has never shot any way but barebow and fingers,now looking to go to sights, release, aid etc just for hunting. My budget precludes me buying new.My draw is too big for most new bows anyway at 31 1/2 - 32. thinking I could use the 31'' draw on the Razor and use a longer d loop.

RogerSr
12-09-2009, 06:34 PM
I think they make a great hunting bow,one of my sons is 6-6" and has a
32 DL and he has a Razor X with 14"se limbs, and has taken a lot of game with it, you big guys have a hard time finding bows that fit you, there a good bow with a long riser so they give more DL, hope this helps.

hotrod26
12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I just bought a 2005 Slayr SE with C cams that I plan on using for 3D. What kind of speed are you getting out of your 05 Slayr? Also do you think the Slayr will make a good 3D bow?

bfisher
12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Roger,

You know I've been shooting a long time, too. I've had a tear-drop pull off a cable years ago. No harm except I missed the fullseye on that 50 yard field shot by 6"--and I was having a good day, too.

Have only had one string break, but not at full draw. That's really odd when you think about it. At full draw the string has very little stress on it. Most of the stress is in the cables at that point.

Hope you get the bleeding stopped. Need stitches? Let us know what's going on bud.

timtim146
12-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah that is really odd. Are the lengths of the string and cables correct for sure? Maybe they were to small? I have no idea but i hope you get it all worked out and you heal up good! :)

brushrat
12-09-2009, 08:05 PM
I just put new string and 4 cables on my Razor X about four days ago, well I was shooting it today and the string broke at full draw, cut the inside of my left wrist all the way to the bone, had one hell of a time to stop the bleeding
I will not say the brand of the strings till I talk to them, but to say that I'm upset is being kind, anyone ever have this happen to them? I've been shooting archery for more then fifty years and never have seen this happen.

holy smokes!:eek::eek: I would keep whats left of the string and only show them pictures until you find out what kind of recourse you have. Make sure they know you have witnesses. I would think they would certainly be liable for your medical bills and the damage to your bow. I would say that they should also provide you with a lifetime supply of strings....but then, who would want their strings after what happened! Hope this works out for you ,heal fast and can get this behind you without it effecting your nerves everytime you get behind a bow ! Good luck, Del

RogerSr
12-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Roger,

You know I've been shooting a long time, too. I've had a tear-drop pull off a cable years ago. No harm except I missed the fullseye on that 50 yard field shot by 6"--and I was having a good day, too.

Have only had one string break, but not at full draw. That's really odd when you think about it. At full draw the string has very little stress on it. Most of the stress is in the cables at that point.

Hope you get the bleeding stopped. Need stitches? Let us know what's going on bud.

I had just pulled it back and when it hit the wall it let go, it broke right were the top of the center serving is, it just pulled apart, and the strings and cables are the right length, i always check new ones with a ruler for length, the bow is a 45-60 and i have the bolts backed out 3 turns, that is about 51#, and I had 8 stitches put in my wrist, I want to thank everyone for the good wishes!

RogerSr
12-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I just bought a 2005 Slayr SE with C cams that I plan on using for 3D. What kind of speed are you getting out of your 05 Slayr? Also do you think the Slayr will make a good 3D bow?

The SlayR is a great 3D bow that is what i use mine for,and I have never
shot it through a chrono, mine is 53# max

ezbite
12-10-2009, 01:44 AM
PLEASE...pm me who it was so i dont buy their strings. thanks

bigbob
12-10-2009, 02:51 AM
BFisher you were lucky your arrow went close to your target when the teardrop let go. I never ever saw which way mine went and never found it later either!

bigbob
12-10-2009, 02:57 AM
Roger, hope you recover quickly and keep right on shooting. Yep. I am about 6'4 1/2'' and think I will look for a good used Razor x after xmas. got to sell my tinny first [ aussie slang for aluminium dingy] to get some more funds.

alex
12-17-2009, 02:25 AM
Roger, hope you are okay now! I had the same problem this summer but with my cheap taiwanian bow. The string broke at full draw where the peep sight was. I was just very unpleasantly surprised, not hurt or even touched by the string. The bad thing was that i've lost a tru-glo peep and the good was that i've changed for the first time a string using my Bowmaster press.Luckily the string for this bow is only about 10$ :)

RogerSr
12-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Roger, hope you are okay now! I had the same problem this summer but with my cheap taiwanian bow. The string broke at full draw where the peep sight was. I was just very unpleasantly surprised, not hurt or even touched by the string. The bad thing was that i've lost a tru-glo peep and the good was that i've changed for the first time a string using my Bowmaster press.Luckily the string for this bow is only about 10$ :)

Thanks Alex,
I'm OK now, I'm still in recovery but back to shooting, I just rap a ACE bandage around my wrist over the bandage, I've been shooting to long to stop now, I also had the old string still in good shape, Roger.