PDA

View Full Version : can you identify this bow

golfisserious
12-11-2009, 04:03 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150394733776&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

thanks in advance...just wanted to order some modules if necessary, so that when I get it, I can actually start shooting it

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-11-2009, 04:36 PM
:D This is an 05 Orion. Just check out the Martin 2005 site and you will see the Orion matches that picture.

bfisher
12-11-2009, 06:53 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150394733776&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

thanks in advance...just wanted to order some modules if necessary, so that when I get it, I can actually start shooting it

Not a problem, young man. The cam appears to be a DynaCam. Any of the "F" modules fit it and they are still available. Any Martin dealer should have some on hand or they can be ordered through Martin.

golfisserious
12-16-2009, 10:36 AM
You guys are the experts, I am a golfer who loves to bow hunt.

at anyrate, I was hunting with the easton axis fmj, shooting an old darton that was modified. I was shooting 233fps with a 680.5 grain total weight arrow. I prefer and over draw setup 30" draw length with a one inch overdraw and shoot a 31"inch arrow... I shoot the 100 grain 3 blade rage broadheads... I get plenty of penetration with the heavy arrows, out of the old bow... it was just getting noisy as heck and starting to wear in more ways than one...kinda getting worried it was going to explode in my face, wood limbs and all...

what I want to do with this martin orion magnum from 2005 is get my arrows up to around 285 to 300fps....

do you guys think this is possible and if so, what if any mods would you recommend for this bow... I only paid 150 for it so I can afford to do it right...

all opinions greatly appreciated.

again, Thanks in advance

bfisher
12-16-2009, 11:23 AM
With your draw length that kind of speed is not out of the question, but not with the heavy arrow you're used to. Try choosing arrows that are 6gr/lb of draw weight or a little less and see what happens. Also, try to keep as much junk as possible off the string. I might see 270-280 fps or so, but 300 fps is getting pretty optimistic IMO. That's all the IBO rating is on the bow and is usually not going to be achievable with a hunting setup.

There are some tradeoffs here. To get speed you're going to have to live with some vibration and probably more noise than you're accustomed to. If necessary give up some speed and go for the "quiet" factor for a hunting rig.

golfisserious
12-17-2009, 09:09 AM
well I am willing to sacrifice speed as long as I can get even a little more speed than the old bow... besides the fact that all I had before was 25% letoff and 87lbs of draw weight... it was a bugger to hold if the critter stopped prior to my shooting lane...

I am not willing to sacrifice the weight of the arrow however...I have only had one arrow that didn't pass through, and it tried... deer was quartering away and hit the inside of the opposite shoulder bone, arrow stayed and it was a long day of tracking... thank god I had a low entry and the arrow deflected upwards into that location, i still had a reasonable blood trail for no pass through shot...

I have a buddy hunting 300 something total weight arrows and he constantly is telling me deflection stories... he won't even hunt a mechanical broahead because he litterally can't get a pass through with one...

so I am kinda hell bent on keeping the weight of the arrow up there as it has done me very well... I noticed there are many cam options and limb options available to me... are there any of either or any in particular one might recommend to "upgrade" this bow... to try to get this heavy of an arrow above 280fps

thanks in advace

Jake-the-snake
12-17-2009, 11:49 AM
at 680.5 grains, i honestly dont think it would be possible to get 280fps. so either get lighter arrows or, shoot with what you got:)

golfisserious
12-25-2009, 10:48 AM
I have a f7 module on order... I would like to move to 70+ lb limbs, do you guys know if they are available for this bow, or another limb that would work, still keeping a short axle to axle ratio for better hunting manueverability...

I also noticed by searching that guys are twisting their strings, and "counter rotating the cam" to increase Ibo... but haven't found the right instructions that encompass each concept or procedure... is anyone versed in this or either if is so would you please expound upon how to do so or direct me to an old link that does.

I have some easton fmj dangerous game 300 arrows on order, couldn't find any in stock anywhere... for the mean time I found some Aluminum xx75 eason game getters and am shooting decent groups at 40 yards with a 4inch loop with the 25inch draw module while waitin on the f7 module to show up...

What are cam options, or should I stay with this cam... I use it purely for hunting and usually only take 20 yard or less shots but would like the option if an old monarch shows at 50 yards...

brushrat
12-25-2009, 11:39 AM
well I am willing to sacrifice speed as long as I can get even a little more speed than the old bow... besides the fact that all I had before was 25% letoff and 87lbs of draw weight... it was a bugger to hold if the critter stopped prior to my shooting lane...

I am not willing to sacrifice the weight of the arrow however...I have only had one arrow that didn't pass through, and it tried... deer was quartering away and hit the inside of the opposite shoulder bone, arrow stayed and it was a long day of tracking... thank god I had a low entry and the arrow deflected upwards into that location, i still had a reasonable blood trail for no pass through shot...

I have a buddy hunting 300 something total weight arrows and he constantly is telling me deflection stories... he won't even hunt a mechanical broahead because he litterally can't get a pass through with one...

so I am kinda hell bent on keeping the weight of the arrow up there as it has done me very well... I noticed there are many cam options and limb options available to me... are there any of either or any in particular one might recommend to "upgrade" this bow... to try to get this heavy of an arrow above 280fps

thanks in advace

holy smokes, 87lbs of draw weight with 25% letoff!! and yur arrows are as long as spears.....I'd just run them down and "kill em wit yur bare hands"! :eek::)

Montalaar
12-25-2009, 11:52 AM
holy smokes, 87lbs of draw weight with 25% letoff!! and yur arrows are as long as spears.....I'd just run them down and "kill em wit yur bare hands"! :eek::)

Long as spears?

My arrows are 31" long and are apparently already more than 0.5" on the short side so i have to use my Premier Rest as an overdraw. My target point is behind the end of the shelf when drawn.. :/

brushrat
12-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Long as spears?

My arrows are 31" long and are apparently already more than 0.5" on the short side so i have to use my Premier Rest as an overdraw. My target point is behind the end of the shelf when drawn.. :/

Either your mother carried you around by the arms when you were a baby or you are very tall like , maybe around.....let me see if i can get close using your units 1950 - 2100 mm ? is that close? i didn't even have to look that up:)

i better not get too cocky... i told alex one time that my "kisser button" on my bengal was 75mm in diameter.:D:D

merry xmas Montalaar

Montalaar
12-25-2009, 03:23 PM
You are right, 190cm - 210cm sounds about right for me. So you are also in that range? ;)

I just try to image in 7.5 cm kisser button. That would mean you have a 3" diameter kisser button.. Wow, how can you shoot that? ;) j/k.

Merry christmas to you, too.

golfisserious
12-25-2009, 03:28 PM

this is why I bought the "new to me" bow

brushrat
12-25-2009, 03:59 PM
this is why I bought the "new to me" bow

that is a very good looking bow. Looks like it has a lot of brace ht., so should be very forgiving. You're not going to know how to act with 80% letoff after holding only 25%. You'll like it.....:)

you might just give up golf and shoot archery full time.....

golfisserious
12-25-2009, 04:42 PM
you are not kidding, it was snowing and blowing here all day... and even in the cold and wind, I could hold it, all day... I was a "good" shot with the old darton... could shoot it accurately to 60 yards... after release, I could literally watch the arrow fly to the target... even funnier when I put lighted knocks on it... but I was having poor penetration on game past 20 yards... matter of fact... plenty of kills between 30 and 45 yds... but never, not one pass through over 30 yds... made me a damn good blood trailer though...

this 60# bow is so easy to pull... I am looking to try to find out if I can get 70 or even 80# limbs...but for now I love this thing... plus I can shoot a 30 inch arrow now... can't wait for a calmer and warmer day to experiment out to 70 and 80 yds... I live on a par 5 with a nice flat fairway so its easy to get out and play around...with the bow and or the clubs...

does anyone know anything about this string twisting to increase ibo and or cam counter rotating?

golfisserious
12-26-2009, 11:54 AM
that is a very good looking bow. Looks like it has a lot of brace ht., so should be very forgiving. You're not going to know how to act with 80% letoff after holding only 25%. You'll like it.....:)

you might just give up golf and shoot archery full time.....

you sure are right I have probably shot this bow 200 times or more today and no fatigue...its awesome...thought I had it all dialed in, and threw the broadheads downrange.. was way low (4 inches).. so I am playing with the knock point right now and its about 12* with 20mph wind... so I am sitting here in my man cave trying to warm back up...

Man I can not believe how quiet this bow is... I am gonna take it hunting all this week...I will probably have to do the setup all over again after my correct module shows up in the mail...oh well its such a joy to shoot, I don't care... I think I am a full blown martin fan... with the short a2a I was worried about accuracy, but the bh must make up for it...I don't even have to "hold" the bow with my left hand, it is so steady through the shot, that I can just kind of let it rest in a nice "limp grip" if you will...
I have already ruined 2 arrows and have 3 more sitting by my trusty fletching jig...I have never ever shot 1" groups at 30 yds... I can't tell you how ecstatic that I am with this purchase... best "fun tool" I have bought in the last 10 years...can't believe someone would sell this bow for a 150 bucks...I will never sell this thing, ever.
the peep on it was really small so I drilled it out to 1/8" sets up quite nicely, with a great clear target picture...I think I am going to leave the inside of the peep shiny metal after drilling it, it seems to "gather" light.

still looking for anyone that knows about string twist to tweak ibo and cam rotation and/or counter rotation to tweak it.