PDA

View Full Version : martin at dick's

david33
12-12-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm thinking about buying my first bow. I've got a draw length of 28"(arm span of 70"). Last time I was at dick's sporting goods I saw a Martin bow I think it was called "monster buck" or something like that and I'm trying to get the time to go and shoot the bow. I'm debating between this bow,a fred bear(2010 Charge if they have it), or maybe the PSE Stinger. I don't want to spend a fortune but I want to get a good bow to start with. One of my friends has a martin and I've shot it a couple of times until it gave me a welp on my forearm(assuming it was too long of a draw length). Does anybody recommend this bow for a beginner adult?

jpermenter
12-12-2009, 06:46 PM
I believe the Monster Buck is a cheetah renamed to sell at dicks, IF this is the case then I would say it is a great bow for anyone, I shoot a cheetah and couldnt be happier with it. Maybe someone a little smarter than me can chime in to correct me if it is not basically a cheetah. The cheetah is a great bow at an even better price. Good Luck with your choice.

david33
12-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Do you think since the Cheetah has a short ATA, it would be hard for me for my first bow? I've heard to get a brace height greater than 7" so it will be more forgiving. I just haven't heard about what ATA to look for. I don't have a Martin dealer close by.

timtim146
12-13-2009, 01:34 PM
The short ATA will make it a little less forgiving but it is still a very forgiving bow. I also like single cam bows for being more forgiving also. My cheetah is a great shooting bow and i say yo should go for it. :D

tommyhydro
12-13-2009, 02:36 PM
the ata for a cheetah is 30" yet the brace height is 7 1/4", so you cant go by ATA alone;)

jpermenter
12-13-2009, 04:01 PM
David, everyone is different in what they like and shoot well, the cheetah was my first "real" bow and I couldnt be happier with my choice. The reasons I think it is a good first bow are single cam (less tuning than a dual cam), short ata (espcially for hunting purposes, easier to move around in a stand for me), for me by far the smoothest draw cycle I have tried in that price range (also again great for hunting), on the cheaper side (cheap in price not quality of course), and if you go with one of your other choices you cant hang out on here (joking of course). Good Luck on your decision.

riesopje
12-14-2009, 06:57 AM
I would go with the Martin or PSE Stinger. Shoot the bows and see what best fits you and what feels better to you. I have a Cheetah and a Stinger and they are both great bows. Shot a cow elk at 50 yards with the Stinger a month ago and had complete pass through, it's a great little bow.

david33
12-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know the price of the package for the Monster Buck at Dick's? I haven't had time to go there but I'm hoping to get there this weekend? I forgot how much they are. Also, the serial # tells what year model it is right? If so, is it the first two? I want to make sure I get the newest possible. Isn't Martin's warranty lifetime for original owner? I couldn't find it on the website.

jpermenter
12-17-2009, 08:18 AM
The Cheetah package at Academy sports is $399 so I would assume the monster buck at dick's would be about the same since it is the same bow. That is for the ready to shoot package. Dont be fooled by the name they dont come completly set up so you will want to take it somewhere to have it set up before you shoot it. Unless dick's has someone that knows what they are doing. Good Luck
Jared

david33
12-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I just left Dick's and they had the trophy hunter(Saber) for $299.99 and the monster buck(Cheetah) for $299.99. I almost bought the monster buck. Both were on clearance.

Spiker
12-19-2009, 01:48 PM
both Martins - shoot'em and see which feels best to you.