PDA

View Full Version : New to compound bows, help deciding.

Unregistered
12-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Had some buddies, and family who have dabbled in compound bows but nothing serious. I'd love to learn to shoot, been reading for a while realized i'm gunna need a 60-70#, close to a 70 weight. I'm a fairly big guy 6'3 250 so i figured it would be around my area if not lower.
I'm still confused as to which bow i should be looking for i know a 7''brace height is the best for a begineer but need some tips on bows to look at.
ps.- been looking and im starting to like the martin saber but any input is greatly appreciated

timtim146
12-14-2009, 05:47 PM
The saber is a great bow for beginners. Have you looked at the bengal? That is also a really nice bow. A little more pricey but its worth every bit.

JohnnyThunder
12-14-2009, 08:05 PM
You'd love a Saber, I have one and its great. But I'm shooting my Firecat mostly these days.

My advice to you is choose the bow that makes you enthusiastic about shooting it and makes you want to shoot a lot.

Since I got my Firecat, I've totally had Firecats on the brain. I shoot it in the morning before work, I slip away form work at lunch time and shoot it. I get home and shoot it before dinner. Then I stay up most all the night and read about archery stuff online, shoot the bow, and watch bow hunting shows on television.

My family says I'm an addictive personality because when I get into doing something, I get very into it -- just go all out.

But I think that nothing is worth doing if you can't have a good time doing it, and doing it really well makes for having an even better time.

Well thats just my philosophy on it.

Get whatever bow makes you get excited and look forward to the next time you can go and practice. I think thats most important.

You'd love a Saber though, it shoots very consistent and draws really smooth. If you want to get a good deal and step up a bit from the Saber, maybe check eBay - I've seen a lot of MOABs and Panteras on there recently for a steal.

bfisher
12-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Had some buddies, and family who have dabbled in compound bows but nothing serious. I'd love to learn to shoot, been reading for a while realized i'm gunna need a 60-70#, close to a 70 weight. I'm a fairly big guy 6'3 250 so i figured it would be around my area if not lower.
I'm still confused as to which bow i should be looking for i know a 7''brace height is the best for a begineer but need some tips on bows to look at.
ps.- been looking and im starting to like the martin saber but any input is greatly appreciated

I would suggest getting out to some local archery shops and shooting bows. Get them set for your draw length and the weight you THINK you want. I would advise that you rethink that 70# thing. You thing you NEED 70#, but in reality there is nothing you're likely to hunt that requires more than 50-55# to slay so don't go overbowing yourself.

One of the worst things people do is buy bows with too long a draw and.or too much draw weight with the idea that they need tons of kinetic energy to hunt with, but it isn't so. They end up struggling with a bow and never achieve the accuracy potential they may be capable of because they can't handle the weight easily.

I'm not saying to buy a lesser weight bow. Just be sure that you can hold the bow straight out and just draw it straight back. No pointing toward the sky or elsewhere.

I've dealt with weight lifters on a few occasions with much the same expectations as you. Buddies told them to get a 70# bow. After working with one guy he finally settled on a 60# bow that peaked at 62# and he struggled with that a bit. Finally backed it down to 55# and he was much more comfortable. It's not that he wasn't strong. It's that the muscles were pulling in a different direction than they were used to. Over time those muscles will develop memory and more weight can be added, but slowly.

This being said, a 70# Martin bow can be reduced to 55# (15# weight range). This advice is more important yet if you are just going to be an occasional shooter. Make it easy on yourself and have fun. Archery is a sport that requires accuracy and I've found it's a lot more fun when I'm shooting more accurately.

copterdoc
12-15-2009, 05:34 PM
I think a 7" BH is going to be too short for you.

I recommend a "power stroke" of 20"-21" for most beginners, and no longer than 22" for hunting. Have a pro measure your draw length and subtract 20.5 from that number. If your DL is 29.5", your ideal BH would be 9".

Your forearm will thank me later.

beast1540
12-16-2009, 06:15 PM
cool cool, ty for all the positive feedback fellas, just got a laberal repair in my shoulder today so i wont be able to try it out for a while but ill be visiting my 2 local shops everyday to feel some bows. thankd again, its people like you all that make a sport like this fun and accessible to newcomers

bfisher
12-16-2009, 07:29 PM
cool cool, ty for all the positive feedback fellas, just got a laberal repair in my shoulder today so i wont be able to try it out for a while but ill be visiting my 2 local shops everyday to feel some bows. thankd again, its people like you all that make a sport like this fun and accessible to newcomers

YO BEAST, you take it slow, ya hear. I been through a lot with my shoulders, lower back, and neck so I can relate. Don't rush it.

Come around when you need anything. We're always here to help---and learn in the process.