PDA

View Full Version : Slayr specs

hotrod26
12-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Just bought a 05 Slayr SE with Nitrous C Cams and can't seem to find any info on the factory ATA and brace height. currently it is at 38 1/4 ATA and 6.75 BH. need to know if this is correct. I am getting ready to put a new string and cables on and want to make sure everything is back to specs when I am done.

Spiker
12-15-2009, 03:04 PM
The '05 catalog says 37.75" and 6.75".

RogerSr
12-15-2009, 03:34 PM
My 05 SlayR is A2A 38" BH 6.75"

C Bailey
12-15-2009, 03:35 PM
You can find string specs here: http://www.martinarchery.com/chart/2005chart/nitrous.php

The slayr is the m-96. You can also still download the 2005 catalog here: http://www.martinarchery.com/2010web/catalog.php

copterdoc
12-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm gonna tell you all a little secret.

ATA and BH, aren't critical, unless you really care that the module matches the DL that it is "supposed" to be. You can fudge it at least an inch either way, as long as you don't over pre-load the limbs.

RogerSr
12-15-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm gonna tell you all a little secret.

ATA and BH, aren't critical, unless you really care that the module matches the DL that it is "supposed" to be. You can fudge it at least an inch either way, as long as you don't over pre-load the limbs.

That my friend is no secret, most of the time the guys that worry about the spics are just worrying about nothing, I've been building bows for a lot of years and know that most of the time an inch one way or the other does not mean much.

bfisher
12-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Thankyou guys. I've been saying this stuff for years, but it seems the younger set don't know how to set up their bows unless they have numbers in front of them.

I have always been one to look at what specs the factory sets and then set my bow to where it feels the best and is the most accurate, for me and my form.

The same goes for all this stuff about cam orientation, what some call cam timing. I do know that they way cams are engineered these days they do have a sweet spot, one where they get the most level nock travel and/or the greatest speed, etc. But I have always said this stuff is not all that important as tuning can control most little "imperfections". I think it's much better to, if necessary, twist strings or cables to match the bow as close as I can to my optimum draw length and let the ca, orientation take care of itself.

After all this is done I measure everything on the bow, mark the side of the cams, and record all this for future reference; changing strings or something.
These are then the specs for MY bow.

Now you tell me. Am I missing something?

copterdoc
12-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Thankyou guys. I've been saying this stuff for years, but it seems the younger set don't know how to set up their bows unless they have numbers in front of them.

I have always been one to look at what specs the factory sets and then set my bow to where it feels the best and is the most accurate, for me and my form.

The same goes for all this stuff about cam orientation, what some call cam timing. I do know that they way cams are engineered these days they do have a sweet spot, one where they get the most level nock travel and/or the greatest speed, etc. But I have always said this stuff is not all that important as tuning can control most little "imperfections". I think it's much better to, if necessary, twist strings or cables to match the bow as close as I can to my optimum draw length and let the ca, orientation take care of itself.

After all this is done I measure everything on the bow, mark the side of the cams, and record all this for future reference; changing strings or something.
These are then the specs for MY bow.

Now you tell me. Am I missing something?
I doubt you are really missing anything. Orientation (timing) only effects the nock travel of single cams. With hybrid, dual or binary cams, the nock travel will be as level as it can be, unless the cams are out sync with each other.

I don't think advancing or retarding the cams does much, other than changing BH and possibly DFC at the beginning or the extreme end of the draw cycle. Obviously, it effects DW/DL, but when I set that back to where it was before, I haven't been able find a way to increase speed, without finding out later, all I really did, was increase the length of the power stroke.

RogerSr
12-15-2009, 09:39 PM
I think the two of you are right on the money!