PDA

View Full Version : What's going on w/Archery talk?

racknspur
12-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Anyone else having problems logging on lately?

copterdoc
12-15-2009, 05:04 PM
The site seems to have crashed.

bfisher
12-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Yep, just tried it and it's definitely down. Now what am I going to do the rest of the evening? Oh well, guess I'll watch "Rudolph and the Island of Misfit Toys".

bigbob
12-15-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm running around like a headless chook with A.T down. So I thought I might get a few questions answered. As I mentioned in previous posts I am a lifelong finger shooter, no sights etc., but going to another bow with the lot after xmas just for hunting. Would like a Moab or razor x [ second hand] As my draw to the corner of my mouth gives me an arrow length measured from bottom of nock groove to back of field point is 31 1/2'' and all these late model bows stopping at 31'' [ if your lucky] where will I have to anchor even allowing for a longer 'd' loop? I might add that my arrow is only 1/2'' past my rest as it is. Also never as much as looked through a set of sights nor drew back on a bow with a release aid.

Rockyhud
12-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Bigbob, you might consider the Anchor Sight. It basically mounts directly to the riser and is an alignment device to help you anchor to the exact same position time after time while also helping the shooter to detect any torque. Also, since the shooter isn't looking through a string peep, which limits the amount of light that enters the eye, you get about 15-20 minutes addition shooting time. Plus it reduces the amount of weight on your string so you can get a few more fps too. You can check out this product here ( http://www.archeryinnovations.com/ ).

I have an similar product called the No-Peep that apparently isn't available any more but does the same thing. I can't imagine using a string peep ever again due to all the advantages the things have.

bigbob
12-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Rockyhud,
Thanks for that info on the anchor sight as it seems it will help me with 2 problems, anchor and a big problem with me in bow torque with my present bow [2000 cougar] as I am an instinctive shooter and actually cant the bow which brings the string closer to my forearm. Each time I get too wrapped up in the shot i forget and cop a belting on the arm from the string. I will have to wait until i have actually bought another bow just for hunting to see if it comes with sight etc.

bfisher
12-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Bob,

Are you shooting a release at all now or have you tried one? It's different from finger shooting.

The string creates a nice round radius when drawn with fingers. This isn't so with a release so most often to establish good anchor points the draw length of the bow has to be about 1" shorter than shooting with fingers.

I made the switch some 35 years ago and my shooting suffered for almost three years till I got a good coach to help me. First thing he did was shorten me up. Since then I've shortened up even more. wheras I started out shooting 28 1/2" I'm now down to bout 26 5/8" depending a bit on the bow.

I could give a big long disertation about shooting form and all, but you can get much better info from Nut&Bolts on AT when it gets back up. Search "shooting form" and see what he has to say. He's really good. Don't forget to look at all his drawings. Check out the one on hand position and such.

bigbob
12-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi Bfisher,
In answer , no I 've never so much as handled one, but am very interested in the fact that it will shorten my draw length as I have severe limitations on bows available to me as it stands.I've seen guys i could whap on the field course go to sights and turn the tables. I am a great judge of distance so that may help. Figured that with the infirmity that comes with 'mature' age I need to make all my shots count while hunting, hence the reason to convert to sights etc, at least just for hunting.

copterdoc
12-15-2009, 07:31 PM
AT, is back up and running.