PDA

View Full Version : Disabled hunter wants draw back info

Jack Magnum
12-20-2009, 11:48 AM
I had bumerous abdominal surgeries that led me to give my Martin bow to my son. Now a few yrs later I have the bug to go deer hunting again. My questions are I am limited to how much weight I can lift or draw back and hold. Is there anything out there that will draw the string back for me? Also what model bow do you recommend shooting from a ground blind ? Thanks in advance.
Jack

bfisher
12-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Jack,

I quite understand your situation. You don't want to bust a gut, right??? Pun intended. What's the weight you're limited to?

By the way, welcome to the Martin Tech Forum.

Jack Magnum
12-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Well, My weights are restricted to 5-10lbs BUT I have exceeded that many times and I couldn't pull my bow when it was set for 55lbs with 60% let off. I was thinking maybe if I had something to help draw the string back then I could hold 20-30lbs back. Any help is appreciated and also a bow for ground blind shooting. Thanks
Jack

ezbite
12-21-2009, 01:03 AM
I'm probably going to catch hell for this, but I suggest a crossbow with some sort of cocking device. If your limit is 5-10#'s I feel you would do more harm than good to yourself and in your struggle to draw, you'd never get a clean kill shot. This is strictly my opinion given the info you provided. If I'm off base, I apologize.

bfisher
12-21-2009, 05:17 AM
I'm probably going to catch hell for this, but I suggest a crossbow with some sort of cocking device. If your limit is 5-10#'s I feel you would do more harm than good to yourself and in your struggle to draw, you'd never get a clean kill shot. This is strictly my opinion given the info you provided. If I'm off base, I apologize.

You won't get any gripe from me, ezbite. This is probably the most logical alternative as I don't know of any device that would help with drawing a conventional tradtional or compound bow. Many of today's bows have 80% letoff so, for instance, a 50# bow would normally have a holding weight of about 10#, but you still have to roll those cams over that 50#.

There is a device called a Draw-Lock which holds the bow at full draw once drawn, but you still have to roll the cams over. Also to be considered is that this may not be legal for hunting in your state, if your intent is for hunting.

There are some other choices. Look at bows with easy roll-over cams such as Martin's MPro, M2Pro with a lower draw weight. You might be able to special order something with a draw weight of, say 40#, which could safely be backed off to 25# or a little less. It wouldn't be a very good choice for hunting and maybe not even be legal, but might get you back into the game of shooting.

That's about the best I can come up with at the moment.

jpermenter
12-21-2009, 08:09 AM
I am with Barry and EZ on this one, if what you want is to get back to hunting a crossbow may be the most logical as yes you could get a draw weight down low enough I think BUT in most states you have to have a minimum draw weight of 40-45 pounds to hunt, Again with 80% letoff you are only holding 8 pounds but you have to get it there. Good Luck getting back!

alex
12-21-2009, 10:18 AM
I've never tought that i'll say it, but...take a gun! If you're limited to 5-10lbs even a crossbow ain't a solution. Very few crossbow models can be used with a cocking device and as far as i know it needs about 15lbs, most crossbows accept only a cocking rope which gives you only 50% advantage - if the crossbow is 150lbs you pull 75lbs. As Barry said there are some gadgets for bows, but i'm not sure how you can hunt with them, even from a blind.

Jack Magnum
12-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys for the time and info.
Jack

bfisher
12-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Jack,

If a crossbow is not out of the question then your best option is a 10 Point model with a crank attached to the stock. This thing gives about a 40 to 1 reduction in the power needed to draw the bow. Think of it as a winch.

Horton and Barnett have cranks for some of their crossbows, but it an accessory that is bought and carried separately. Besides, I used to sell these two brands and would not own one. Junk is junk.

Jack Magnum
12-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the info. The crossbow is out anyway. Not legal unless your totally disabled without use of arms. I guess I'll justlook around I've got til next Sept. before hunting season starts again. I still hunt with a handgun but just wanted to hunt with the bow again and I know a farmer that will let me hunt his property BUT only with a bow. Thanks all.
Jack