PDA

View Full Version : String wear

RobD
12-20-2009, 10:33 PM
I have a 2009 Firehawk,Bought it brand new a month ago,probably shot between 100-150 arrows through it,Im seeing some wear on the string,on the top cam,n little on the bottom cam,most the wear is the string that roles off the cam, the worst part is about 1/8 inch that doesn't touch cams,Is this normal.How long is a factory string last.

RobD
12-21-2009, 12:37 PM
I have a 2009 Firehawk,Bought it brand new a month ago,probably shot between 100-150 arrows through it,Im seeing some wear on the string,on the top cam,n little on the bottom cam,most the wear is the string that roles off the cam, the worst part is about 1/8 inch that doesn't touch cams,Is this normal.How long is a factory string last.

Just went to Dicks Sportinggoods ,the Tex there said it is cam lean thats wearing my servers,he said Martinis known for this,said there not much i can do,that i would need a new string within 6 months,This is terrible,I'm calling Martin to see if they will do something about this. it's a shame i really liked this bow but changing strings every 6 -7 months is for the Birds,I had my Mathews for 3 yrs never changed String n it was still in good condition when i sold it,anyone have any suggestions before i sell this month old Bow?

timtim146
12-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Im sorry that this has happened to you and that you have had a bad experience with a martin bow. Even though i would not even shoot a mathews lol. Have you checked out the rytera bows?

jpermenter
12-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Rob, you might sand down the edges of the cams, this should help with some of the wearing on the string, it is a common problem BUT it can be fixed, also, you wouldnt have to replace the string, have it served if it is on already served or you can have it re-served. I wouldnt give up on it just yet, they are super nice bows. Im sure some of the more experienced guys on here can help you make that cam lean a little less. I wouldnt put so much weight on what a guy at Dick's told you. Just my advice.

RobD
12-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Im sorry that this has happened to you and that you have had a bad experience with a martin bow. Even though i would not even shoot a mathews lol. Have you checked out the rytera bows?Yes looked at them when i was bow shopping,was kinda scared of them since there new bows,fissured they would need time to get all the kinks out,It was a toss up between Cheetah n firehawk,Picked Firehawk for many reasons,compact,Fast,light,reasonable price,came with the STS ,CCS,the only thing i was concern about was the Dual cam,I really like this bow,I came off a little mad when i wrote my last Thread,i spent a lot of time chosing this bow
I called Martin about my String wear today,I explained what was happening,n sent them Pics of String They told me to go to a local Martin dealer ,Have them Go over my Bow, Tune n put new Server- string on if necessary,n they with pay for it ,Im very Pleased with the out come,Martin has very good costomer service

RobD
12-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Rob, you might sand down the edges of the cams, this should help with some of the wearing on the string, it is a common problem BUT it can be fixed, also, you wouldnt have to replace the string, have it served if it is on already served or you can have it re-served. I wouldnt give up on it just yet, they are super nice bows. Im sure some of the more experienced guys on here can help you make that cam lean a little less. I wouldnt put so much weight on what a guy at Dick's told you. Just my advice.

I,m not giving up just,Just got a little ticked when i seen it,its my new Baby, I have been very proud of it ,bragging to all my friends about it,Brag about it so much two of my fellows friends r getting the same bow.
I called Martin n there going to have it reserved for me n looked at,they have very good costumer service,Thanks for the info will talk with tec see,will keep the sand cams edges in mind.Thanks again. ROB

Jake-the-snake
12-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Martin isnt really "known" for the cams eating up the strings, as i can recall, Martin had a little problem with most of their 09 bows, and that was that the modules were quite sharp and tended to really wear the serving, however i do believe Martin has fixed this problem since, if the modules on your cams keep chewing up the serving, call Martin or go to your local dealer, and ask to get new modules. in the mean time, have fun shooting the bow:D

bfisher
12-21-2009, 06:10 PM
The string on my FireCat did what I think you are experiencing. It's right where the string comes off the cam, right? Not the cables? Well, what I did was draw the bow with one hand and one foot and while holding it this way I applied some string wax to the serving. I can't say for sure whether this helped or not. I just kept and eye on it.

This string set had been on my bow for almost 2 years. Along the way the serving finally started separating aroudn the same area--where the string just started onto the cam. I still ad no issues with peep rotation or anything else. Just the serving separation.

The reason I put this in the past tense is because, if you read my post on "New limbs for the Cat", I cracked a limb. I figured as long as I'm going through this and changing the cams, I might as well change the strings, too.
The old string will just be put on my jig and reserved.

Now will your string last that long? I can't say. You'll just have to keep an eye on it. If the problem is one of excess cam lean the only thing I can say is this is one of the pitfalls of ultrashort axle to axle bows. The present technology just hasn't caught up with the demand for short bows. Such is the reason I will not have one. In fact, I don't even like the length of the FireCat at 32 1/2".