PDA

View Full Version : MOAB "buzz" noise?

racknspur
12-21-2009, 07:00 AM
When I rap on the top limb of my '09 MOAB there is a buzz coming from the area of the idler wheel. I put string wax on the axle clips, but hasn't gone away. Any ideas?

bfisher
12-21-2009, 10:09 AM
It's possible that the washers on each side of the wheel are not thick enough and there is a little play there. If so the washers are the cause of it, but I find this very rare. There really isn't much in this area that can cause noise.

Don't overlook the possiblity that it could be one of your accessories. Sight or quiver? These can often sound like something nearer the limb tips.

racknspur
12-21-2009, 02:59 PM
It's possible that the washers on each side of the wheel are not thick enough and there is a little play there. If so the washers are the cause of it, but I find this very rare. There really isn't much in this area that can cause noise.

Don't overlook the possiblity that it could be one of your accessories. Sight or quiver? These can often sound like something nearer the limb tips.

Definately coming from the idler. Yes, there is a little "slop" between the idler and one of the washers. What can be done?

bfisher
12-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Easy enough. Back the limb bolts out till you can remove the string from the idler. Use a small screwdriver and remove one of the E-clips holding the axle in place. Put another nylon washer or just one thicker one place of the one that's there already.

I don't know how anal you are about the noise or how mechanically inclined, but if it were my bow it would be torn down and thrown on a pile in the middle of the living room, inspected piece by piece, and put back together. But that's me. That's how I learned to work on compound bows starting 36 years ago.