PDA

View Full Version : best string company?

Jake-the-snake
12-21-2009, 07:01 PM
So Ive put alot of shots through my bow and the strings look fine, actually almost perfect! but ive been thinking that in a few months i will change my strings after my club's archery league as i usually put 1000 or more shots through it in a few month period. my question is, what is the best string company out there? right now im kinda leaning towards Pro-strings as the prices are great, and they seem like a reputable company. also, what colors would you think would look good on my '08 Firecat? Im kinda liking Purple and yellow cuz im a huge Vikings fan:p But any thoughts or replies would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Jake

RogerSr
12-22-2009, 01:50 PM
I have used most of the string makers over the years, and all but one! have been very good, I think I like H&M the best.

bfisher
12-22-2009, 02:08 PM
I've only used three different brands. Prostrings, Winner's Choice, and Bucknasty. I could probably list Stone Mountsin Dakota also as that's what came on my FireCat. Of all these I liked Bucknasty the best with a tossup between WC and Stone Mt.

Winner's Choice is the oddson favorite of many simply because they sort of pioneered the idea of prestretched strings, but they hold a hefty price tag for the name. Bucknasty's I thought were just as good, but had a better job done to the servings.

Prostrings was OK, but I did get a bot of peep rotation, but this is before I knew what was going on so maybe if I had played with it I could have stabilized the peep. The one thing I noticed was that the string/cables had one twist per 2" of string length whereas the others had about one twist per 1 1/2" of string.

The Dakota string on my FireCat has held up well and the only issue I had was some serving separation where the string came off the top cam. Even being almost two years old the string and cables were still stable with no peep rotation--almost. About 6 months ago I did have to add 1/2 twist to the string as the peep had moved a few degrees, but the peep did not rotate during the draw. This was probably due to a very little bit of creep over those two years.

I have enough faith in the Dakota that I just ordered new ones from Martin and installed them on the Cat.

I had planned on trying H&M simply because of the reviews I've read and the price. Hey, somebody has to be a guinea pig for me and it may as well be me. Problem is I'll now have to wait till I have to buy new ones again.

SandSquid
12-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Learn to make your own, set yourself and your wallet free!

Jake-the-snake
12-22-2009, 07:35 PM
i would sandsquid, but the problem is im only 18, so i kinda dont have an open wallet, yet lol i do plan learning stringmaking later on though, so im kinda thinking winnerschoice or Stone Mountain right now thanks for all the replies guys:)

Oregonhunter78
12-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I have been using proline bow strings on my last 3 bows. I really like them. All 3 sets have been perfect.

bfisher
12-23-2009, 07:12 AM
i would sandsquid, but the problem is im only 18, so i kinda dont have an open wallet, yet lol i do plan learning stringmaking later on though, so im kinda thinking winnerschoice or Stone Mountain right now thanks for all the replies guys:)

For the price of WC you can almost pay for the string jig. The only reason I got WC is that I worked in a shop and got them on the shooter program. $45 for a set that would have retailed at nearly $140 for Nitrous X cams.