PDA

View Full Version : Cat cams cutting serving on my cables

morgun
12-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Is there anything I can do about this to make it so it does not happen? I have a 09' Firecat. Is this a common problem?

bfisher
12-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Contact customer service at Martin. They did have a problem with the cables rubbing the modules and wearing on the serving. I'm pretty sure they redesigned the modules and should replace those you have. Essentially, from what I can understand, they machined them 1/16" narrower to give clearance between the cable and the mod.

ezbite
12-22-2009, 07:37 PM
i got the new thinner mods and also took a fine grit sandpaper(i think 340) and knocked the edge off the grove and everywhere else on the modules, then got a green dish scrubber (the green nylon on the back of a sponge) and really buffed them smooth. not more fraying.

the-beagle
12-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Call martin. They sent new cams and modules in under a week.

slayer73
12-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys....i posted this under a guest name because I could not remember my password lol. I have emailed them and asked what they can do for me. Thanks again!

bfisher
12-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys....i posted this under a guest name because I could not remember my password lol. I have emailed them and asked what they can do for me. Thanks again!

Don't count on an email. Things are probably closed for the Xmas holiday, but make the phone call. It's more sure and quicker. 1-800-541-8902

rjd
12-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Mine are doing the same thing chewed through the upper cam serving . Have got to call . Is there anyone who a person should ask for?

bfisher
12-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Mine are doing the same thing chewed through the upper cam serving . Have got to call . Is there anyone who a person should ask for?

I have always dealt with Joel or Jeremy.

rjd
12-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks B" I'll be giving them a call on tuesday.

slayer73
12-30-2009, 01:06 PM
they told me that I was supposed to bring it into a dealer to have it checked out.

bfisher
12-30-2009, 01:10 PM
they told me that I was supposed to bring it into a dealer to have it checked out.

That is the proper protocol, and I should have told you so. They require a dealer handle the warranty work as much as possible.

slayer73
01-04-2010, 11:01 AM
I had my dealer check it out on sunday. He says he doesn't see anything wrong with it. I thought it is excessive wear, but he says it is just how they are. He said he could re-serve the cable and I could shoot it again and watch it for awhile. I told him since it isn't a warrantee issue that I wanted a new string and cables on the bow. I will have him re-serve the old cable so I have a backup set. He said that the stock strings and cables are not very good and I should have better luck with the ones that he makes. Does this sound like right to you?

bfisher
01-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Hate to go against your dealer, but that is not how they are. That's how they were. Martin redesigned the modules and made them slimmer giving a little space between the module and the cable. Maybe he isn't aware of it.

Reserving is just a bandaid on a problem. It's isn't solving the problem. I think he should just make the 1-800 phone call and order new parts. Martin doesn't have a problem with this. Why should he? It only takes 5 minutes to change the modules.

If you have a micrometer or dail caliper you can see if you have the old style or the new. The old ones Miked at .245" and the new ones are .220".

For 2010 the modules have been completely redesigned with rounded grooves and all. I'm pretty sure these would fit your cams.

rjd
01-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Will the new '10 modules fit my 08' firecat. Or is there something else to be done.

slayer73
01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
He watched me draw back and said he couldn't see any rubbing of the cable on any parts. when you look at the top cam from the top, the cable on the right and the string on the cam to the left, the serving is wearing on the right edge. He was watching to make sure that the cable was not rubbing against anything as I drew back on the cam side of the cable, but the serving is fraying on the right side....weird? Is the module where the cable rides or sits in when the bow is not drawn back or? Sorry for the stupid question but I just want to make sure.

bfisher
01-06-2010, 01:54 PM
No, the module is the part that the cable rolls onto as the bow is drawn. It's easy to see. It's got two countersunk set screws holding it to the cam and it's a different color, probably a silver or aluminum finish whereas the cam is black.

And don't say it's a stupid question. You don't know so you ask. We answer and you learn. Learning is smart.

Something else you might try is removing the module and using a real fine file and fine grain sand paper round off the outside edge of the module a bit to remove the sharp edge. It doesn't take much, but sure can help.

I'll check later to see if the 2010 mods fit that cam. I'm pretty sure they will. Won't be back till 9:00 pm or so.

pipercub17
01-06-2010, 03:09 PM
i am having the same problem too with my fire cat
i have made 5 shots or so out of it and the strings are all chewed to crap
so i called them and the guy on the phone said said that thay made no changes to the modules and seemed very grumpy .
he said to take it to my nearest dealer i am in canada and there is not much for martin dealers up hear . my nearest dealer is a 3hr drive
so going to be some time tell i ever get there
this sucks i just want to shoot this bow !

bfisher
01-06-2010, 06:57 PM
OK, it's almost 10:00. I checked and 2010 mods fit the earlier Cat cam.

rjd
01-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks B' . I'll have to have Ron from Extrme Bowstrings call Martin. I will just have him reserve the factory string till we get there answear.

pipercub17
01-08-2010, 12:16 AM
:Dso i talked to a canadian rep and thay are sending me out 2010 mods and a new string