PDA

View Full Version : 2010 shadowcat

zoogie@verizon.net
12-23-2009, 04:18 AM
anyone shooting the new cat? any reviews?

Pic
12-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Waiting for mine...from what I heard, they are re-working the riser, making it a bit longer...it will be 41" ATA bow....I can't wait for mine.

Serge

JayBArchery
12-24-2009, 10:09 AM
This really concerns me, if i get one of the originals and find out the new disign is better i will be real fussy. Does any one have the low down on this??
i shoud be getting mine any time now.

zoogie@verizon.net
12-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Waiting for mine...from what I heard, they are re-working the riser, making it a bit longer...it will be 41" ATA bow....I can't wait for mine.

Serge

I thought it was 41 1/2" now? if they are making the riser longer are they changing the limb angle to make it shorter?

Montalaar
12-25-2009, 03:11 AM
I know some details but i am not supposed to tell you any of them.. :)

Afaik the will ship only the newer bows. I ordered mine 3 months ago and it is not even produced yet.

zoogie@verizon.net
12-25-2009, 05:44 AM
I know some details but i am not supposed to tell you any of them.. :)

Afaik the will ship only the newer bows. I ordered mine 3 months ago and it is not even produced yet.

I think they will be worth the wait!

Pic
12-27-2009, 05:44 AM
I thought it was 41 1/2" now? if they are making the riser longer are they changing the limb angle to make it shorter?

They were originally advertised as 39 ATA..now they are 41.5....should be a sweet shooting bow!! :eek::):D

Buckeye61
01-03-2010, 01:49 PM
I ordered mine 5 weeks ago and my dealer said they will be shipped around mid January. Can't wait to shoot it. I am glad they made it longer than 39 inch.

XSpot
01-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Ya I heard mid January to mid Feb. I am sad I wont have mine before Vegas. I just got on staff and will be going to Vegas shooting an other bow companys stuff until my shadowcat shows up.

michaelg
01-04-2010, 08:43 AM
I was told they went back into production a week and a half ago. the pro staff shooters will be getting theirs first is what they told me. should have mine this week or next.

TXN
01-05-2010, 07:14 AM
I've only been on this forum for a few days and have been trying to decide what bow I wish to purchase. I am leaning heavily toward the 2010 Shadowcat and have pretty well made up my mind that this is the bow I will get. However, I've found that information on pricing and availalbity is quite limited online. I haven't contacted any Martin dealers yet, but I intend to do so if I can't find a place to order online.

I'm hoping some of you guys who have ordered a Shadowcat might be able to help steer me in the right direction as to where I might find one. Do I have to actually go to a Martin Pro Series dealer in order to make a purchase or is it possible to just place an order with Martin and have the bow shipped to me? I live in a very remote area and there are no Martin dealers anywhere within several hundred miles of me, so I would much prefer to simply have the bow shipped to me. Any leads on where I might be able to place an order? Thanks!

scepterman30x
01-05-2010, 07:37 AM
The Shadowcat is a Pro Series bow therefore the only way you can get one (new) is through a Pro Series dealer.

TXN
01-05-2010, 09:06 AM
I just got off the phone with my nearest Pro Series dealer and he informed me that they can't be shipped at all and that I will actually have to come into the store and purchase the bow over the counter. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any in stock and says that he is at the mercy of the manufacturer as to when he will ever get any in. He says he already has six orders to fill and expects that the bows will trickle in one by one as they are produced, so it doesn't look like I'll be able to find one anytime soon. I assume my best bet will be to place an order with a dealer and then just wait and see how long it takes to get the bow. Pretty inconvenient, considering that I'll have to drive over 600 miles round trip to go pick it up!

C Bailey
01-05-2010, 09:47 AM
I think that is only partially correct. Last year Martin started a program allowing you to order a pro series bow through their online catalog and the order would be filled through the nearest pro series dealer who would presumably ship you the bow if you aren't close. The link below was a note that Ryan Martin posted on AT about this program.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showpost.php?p=7862432&postcount=37

I would definitely call Martin and ask about this before giving up. It would also be nice to hear from anyone who took advantage of this program last year to hear what their experience was. It would also be nice to know when the 2010 online catalog will be posted.

zoogie@verizon.net
01-05-2010, 10:26 AM
has anyone had a chance to shoot a bow with this cam? if so how is the draw?

JayBArchery
01-07-2010, 01:18 PM
lets keep the updates comming so i don't keep calling.

Spiker
01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I think that is only partially correct. Last year Martin started a program allowing you to order a pro series bow through their online catalog and the order would be filled through the nearest pro series dealer who would presumably ship you the bow if you aren't close. The link below was a note that Ryan Martin posted on AT about this program.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showpost.php?p=7862432&postcount=37

I would definitely call Martin and ask about this before giving up. It would also be nice to hear from anyone who took advantage of this program last year to hear what their experience was. It would also be nice to know when the 2010 online catalog will be posted.

I ordered an '09 Firecat this way last year. Took 5 weeks to receive the bow.
No problems with it.
Dont know when the '10 catalog will be online.
The '10 Rytera catalog is available now but only the 'X' is listed so far.
I have an Alien 'Z' on order now thru a dealer and he is willing to ship it to me when it comes in however it is only a 50 mile drive so I will just go pick it up.

TXN
01-07-2010, 02:48 PM
I called Martin about this yesterday and was told that the 2010 online ordering should be available in a week or so.

C Bailey
01-07-2010, 03:04 PM
I called Martin about this yesterday and was told that the 2010 online ordering should be available in a week or so.

It sounds like you are going to have to put some pressure on that dealer so you don't have to drive 600 miles. Or, maybe Martin will do that.

XSpot
01-07-2010, 08:32 PM
My Martin rep came down to my local shop in Dec, with some of the new bows. I shot it and loved it. The bow aimed great and had a hard wall and it was a smooth draw cycle. ,did i say no recoil or vibration. I orded 1 the next day. My buddys came down and shot it. They sold there 2009 bows of an other company. Here we all are waiting patiently. If you are thinking about ordering the bow just do it I was impressed ;) I would do it before the big ATA trade show the waiting list will only be getting longer.

TXN
01-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Actually, I miscalculated the distance to my nearest Pro Series dealer. I thought it was about 300 miles, one way, but when I checked the actual mileage, it is 384, so I would be looking at a round trip of almost 800 miles to go pick up the bow! I'm not exactly sure how it works, but after calling Martin to inquire about having a bow shipped to me, I was told that the online store for the 2010 models should be available in a week or so and that, at that time, I could place an order online. Apparently, the order is drop shipped through my nearest dealer, so he is still involved in the transaction, but the bow is shipped to my house. At least that is the way I understood what I was told on the telephone. If anyone has experience with this, I would be interested in knowing how it works.

When is the ATA trade show? I intend to place my order as soon as payday comes around, which is in 17 more days!

Montalaar
01-08-2010, 09:57 AM
That is right as far as i know.

The Shopatron (which is in fact Martins online store) will look up the pro series shop that is the nearest to you so you will be able to buy the bow from him. They will send the bow as a package to you.

TXN
01-29-2010, 09:10 AM
I finally got it all figured out and the Shadowcat is on its way! After all the difficulty with trying to find a way to purchase the bow, I just made a call to Martin and discussed some options.

According to the person I talked to, the online shop-a-tron is being updated with the 2010 models and should be on the website soon. How soon, they couldn't tell me. It was explained that the way shop-a-tron works is that once a person places an order, the info is uploaded to a system that Pro Series dealers can view. Any of them who has the item in stock or otherwise wants to process the order can accept it and make the sale.

Since they couldn't tell me how long I would have to wait to order online, they gave me a referral to a dealer who frequently drop ships bows. I gave him a call and he processed the order and told me he would get right on it. Two days later, I received an email with shipping confirmation and a tracking number, so the Shadowcat is travelin' now!

Spiker
01-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Thats great!
Let us all know how you like it and post some pics when you get it.

bfisher
01-29-2010, 07:49 PM
That good news. I'm glad to hear you got this thing straightened out beore you give yourself a heart attack. Let us know how this whole works pans out and how you like the bow.

zoogie@verizon.net
02-02-2010, 03:53 PM
are the titanium shadowcats shipping yet,I've been waiting 5 weeks!

Montalaar
02-03-2010, 12:36 AM
They are shipping.

And hey, you are behind me in the line i am waiting since october. ;)

zoogie@verizon.net
02-03-2010, 05:28 AM
They are shipping.

And hey, you are behind me in the line i am waiting since october. ;)

looks like I have a bit of a wait !

Montalaar
02-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I do not think so. Due to the way Martin handles their orders.. I will have to wait for some more months.

TXN
02-03-2010, 05:51 PM
The Shadowcat is here. UPS truck just dropped it off at my house about an hour ago. I called in my order last Wednesday and the bow arrived today, exactly one week later. I was expecting it to take much longer as I've seen that some of you guys have been waiting on Shadowcats for weeks, but I guess mine shipped right away because I ordered camo.

The bow looks great, but I don't know when I'll first get a chance to shoot it. I'm waiting on sights to arrive on another UPS truck that's scheduled to come on Friday and I'm also waiting on some new arrows. I purchased a rest, but am not sure if I'll use it. I'm still undecided about what rest I will use since I'll be finger shooting this bow. Any suggestions on that would be helpful.

Also. I'm a little disappointed that the bow doesn't come with more instruction literature than it does. I guess that is a disadvantage to ordering and having it shipped as opposed to buying from a shop. I'm completely unfamiliar with this type of cam system, so I suppose I'll just learn as I go. According to what I've heard, the let-off is very easily adjustable on this bow. I think I'm going to want to change it from 80% to 65%, but I don't know how to do it and there is no mention of it in the instruction booklet. If one of you guys can tell me how it's done, the info would be much appreciated.

It may be next week before I have everything I need to start shooting, but I will definitely keep you guys posted as to how I like the bow. I must say that when I opened the box and pulled it out, I could instantly tell that it felt good in my hand and I think I'm going to be quite pleased with it!

Montalaar
02-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Don't you have a manual with the bow? if not get the one that you can find online. There are basic instructions on the setting up. You will finde more advanced instruction on how to tune the CAT-cam at archerytalk.com.

To reduce the Letoff:
1) Set the bow up at your designated draw length (via the module) and set up the drawstop so you will have it touch at the moment you reach your perfect draw.

2) Tighten the draw stop, do not move it from now on. Maybe you should even make a mark at both sides to find the perfekt position.

3) Loose the module and change the drawlength to the next longer one. This will give you a tad more of a plateu in your draw force curve and will move the point where the letoff begins to the back. This results in less letoff at the moment where the drawstop contacts the limb.

4) if it is not eprfect you might want to play a bit around. But mark your starting position in case you need to reset it.

I hope this was understandable.

TXN
02-04-2010, 04:29 AM
Yes, it did come with a manual...it's the same one that is found at the website. However, it does not discuss adjusting the letoff. I had asked the dealer I ordered from to go ahead and set the draw length at 29.5 for me and I think he has already done this as well as set up the draw stop. When I draw the bow, it seems to me that I am going to need to re-set it to 30 inches because it seems just short of my anchor point.

Right now, the module is set in the 6th of 7 holes. If I move it to the last hole, what do I need to do with the draw stop in order to lessen the letoff? Your explanation was perfectly understandable, but I'm still confused about how this would be accomplished if I set the module out to it's maximum DL capacity.

Montalaar
02-04-2010, 05:04 AM
Well...

There are still those XL-Modules for the CAT cam. They will give you an additional drawlength of 0.5". They have only 2 slots, one for 30" and one for 30.5".

In your case you would have to set up the bow with the current module and a letoff of approx 80% and then get the other module-set and set the drawlength to 30.5". This should decrease the letoff again.

TXN
02-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Thanks for your help. Montalaar. I just looked through the catalog and I can't seem to locate the XL modules. I suppose I will have to call Martin on the phone to inquire about ordering them.

Because I just got the bow and don't have rest and sights installed yet, I haven't done anything other than draw it to see how the DL feels. It may be right on at 29.5, but it seems to me that I am having to slightly extend my face forward in order to put my finger at my usual anchor point. I went back and forth between my old bow and the Shadowcat, pulling them to full draw in order to compare and the Shadowcat's DL seems to stop just short of my anchor point. I think that moving it out to the next hole would make it perfect.

In your response, you stated that the XL module will have a hole for 30 and 30.5. The last hole on the current module should be 30, so I'm thinking that the XL should have holes for 30.5 and 31. Is that not correct? Either way, it sounds like that is an option I need to look into. Thanks again for your help.

Montalaar
02-04-2010, 07:46 AM
1) I just read that there have been slightly changes to the construction of the module so i am not sure if the XL-Module will fit. You need to call Martin CS and get Joel on the phone. And i need to know what you find out as i might need an XL-Module for my Shadowcat with CAT2-Cams, too.

2) I just looked up the specs from 2009 and you are right. The long draw mod will give an extra inch of draw. But has only two holes so it is always better to keep both sets of modules.

TXN
02-04-2010, 09:13 AM
I just got off the phone with Joel at Martin CS and he has confirmed that, yes, the longer module will be required in order to achieve 65% letoff if I extend the DL to 30 inches. He said it is a simple matter of ordering the new module and swapping it out. In fact, he said that Martin will probably just do a trade-in and I would only be responsible for a small shipping fee. He did say that it might be possible to extend the DL on my current module and still reduce the letoff through experimental tweaking, but I don't know enough about this system to understand what he was talking about. I think I'll wait until I have the bow set up to shoot and will test it out with the current module and then make a decision about whether to switch to the longer module. I don't know if this answered your question or not, Montalaar. You may have to call Joel also. If you learn anything else about this, please post here as I'm eager to have a better understanding.

Montalaar
02-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Yeeeeah, you got me my answer. If i need more draw on my future SHadowcat i will be able to get the long draw modules (Wow, 33" Draw. That should fit me..).

Just by the way:
I simply CANNOT call Joel. He es just about approx. 9h behind me in time. ;)

TXN
02-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Good, I'm glad I was able to get you your answer. I understand about the time difference as my wife is from Germany and talks to her family on the phone quite frequently. I think there is a 7 hour difference for them.

Montalaar
02-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Oh, that is pretty cool...!

Where is she from, or at least her family? I suppose you do not speak german? :P

TXN
02-04-2010, 10:19 AM
She is from about 20km north of Goerlitz, way over near the Polish/Czech border. I am expected to speak a lot more German than I do! Her parents do not speak any English and they have no desire to learn, so its up to me to learn their language. I am in the very early stages of learning, but have been given gifts of German language books and Cds from her family, so I'm expected to be making progress. We have a 5 month old son and she speaks only German to him while, of course, I speak English to him. I suppose I will be learning from him!

I'm going to be spending lots of time in Germany in the future, so I have asked her about the possibilities of bow hunting while I'm there. She says she knows absolutely nothing about hunting in Germany, so maybe you can fill me in sometime....maybe a PM so we don't deviate from the Shadowcat discussion here.

Montalaar
02-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I can tell you all you want to know.

Too sad that your family in law lives in eastern germany (I have been in Görlitz 2 times). If you visit more parts of germany just tell me some days before. Maybe there will be a chance to meet you. ;)

Congratulations to you and your whole family. It is a great thing when children can grow up with two languages.

TXN
02-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks, I've sent a PM to you.

TXN
02-04-2010, 04:25 PM
I called the dealer that I ordered the bow from and he is sending me the longer modules. I played around with the Shadowcat a bit when I got home from work today and I'm pretty sure that I need a longer draw length. It is almost there, but I can tell that I am having to adjust my shoulders or push my neck forward in order to get to my anchor point, so I feel pretty sure that another half inch or perhaps a whole inch is needed. Hopefully, the longer modules will do the trick.

TXN
02-05-2010, 09:12 AM
The more I have thought about this, the more I think I must be missing something. Maybe one of you guys can correct me if I'm wrong. As I have figured it, it is impossible to reduce the letoff on the Shadowcat if it is set for 30 inch DL.

The way I understand it is that in order to reduce the letoff, you must first set the module to your draw length, then adjust the draw stop to that point. Next, leaving the draw stop where it is, you move the module out to the next longest hole....correct?

If this is the case, then the last hole, hole #7=30 inches. Therefore, since there is not another hole, the letoff can't be reduced. Then, if I switch to the longer module, there are only 2 holes, #8=30.5 and #9=31. Again, there is no option to have a 30 inch DL AND reduce letoff.

Am I missing something?

scepterman30x
02-05-2010, 10:47 AM
The more I have thought about this, the more I think I must be missing something. Maybe one of you guys can correct me if I'm wrong. As I have figured it, it is impossible to reduce the letoff on the Shadowcat if it is set for 30 inch DL.

The way I understand it is that in order to reduce the letoff, you must first set the module to your draw length, then adjust the draw stop to that point. Next, leaving the draw stop where it is, you move the module out to the next longest hole....correct?
If this is the case, then the last hole, hole #7=30 inches. Therefore, since there is not another hole, the letoff can't be reduced. Then, if I switch to the longer module, there are only 2 holes, #8=30.5 and #9=31. Again, there is no option to have a 30 inch DL AND reduce letoff.

Am I missing something?

Well technically you should do the reverse however thats assuming the module is far enough (draw length wise) to allow you to reach the desired DL with the draw stop.
The way I would recommend you do it is to set the draw stop in the back portion of the slot (longest setting) then set you draw length 1" longer than desired then set your DS to your desired DL and you are set. However you may have to move the mod one space forward or back to tweek it. Then.................I won't even go into detail but you can tweak it even more by retarding or advancing the cam; be careful if you do this be cause they are engineered for optimum efficiency when set at a certain point.
I will let Bfisher, RogerSr or any of the other savants/pundits to impart their wisdom cause I'm tired o' typin. Goog luck.

bfisher
02-05-2010, 10:56 AM

Am I missing something?

While I have just enjoyed the conversation you and Simon (Montalaar) are having it's time to see if I can lend a hand with this letoff situation. When you talked to Joel he mentioned doing some tweaking with your present modules. What he was referring to is adding some twists to the cables to over rotate the cams a bit. This increases the draw length and adds some draw eight to the bow. You can decrease the weight with the limb bolts, of course.

Before adding any twists to the cables you want to set the draw stop with the bow on 30". Then add some twists to the cables. This might work just enough to get you where you want to be.

How much to rotate the cams is something you will find info about at Archery Talk. See if this link works:

www,archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=626601

scepterman30x
02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
While I have just enjoyed the conversation you and Simon (Montalaar) are having it's time to see if I can lend a hand with this letoff situation. When you talked to Joel he mentioned doing some tweaking with your present modules. What he was referring to is adding some twists to the cables to over rotate the cams a bit. This increases the draw length and adds some draw eight to the bow. You can decrease the weight with the limb bolts, of course.

Before adding any twists to the cables you want to set the draw stop with the bow on 30". Then add some twists to the cables. This might work just enough to get you where you want to be.

How much to rotate the cams is something you will find info about at Archery Talk. See if this link works:

www,archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=626601

This was the info I was refering to.:D

Spiker
02-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Am I missing something?

The module WILL NOT just stop the rotation at a certain point. 29" 30" whatever. Without the draw stop you can pull the string back untill the cams/modules roll over and lock up.
#7 hole on the standard module is 29" If you need a longer draw than that you need to swap them out for the LD mods.
Ok - now put the module on in whatever position is right for the draw length you want.
Ok - now if you set the Draw Stop so that it contacts the limb right at the point that the cables come to rest on the 'flat' of the module - you are at 80% let-off.
Now if you move the Draw Stop so that it contacts the limb BEFORE the cables rest on the flat - you just reduced the let-off!!!
You also shortened the draw length.
So -
If you want less let-off and need more length - you have to move the module to the next position.
That will give you the length back and keep the let-off less.

More confused now???

TXN
02-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Ok, thanks guys. I am still a little confused. I have to leave town for the weekend in just a few minutes, so I don't have time to keep working on this right now. However, when I get back, I will re-read all of your replies and see if I can REALLY understand. I will get it figured out one way or another:)

XSpot
02-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I have never shot a bow with high lettoff until I got my shadowcat. Let me see if I got this right. The draw length Is where like it. The stop has the bow at 80% and the draw length is good. I want 65 or 70 % lettoff. Would i now move my draw length module to the next size hole making it longer. Would I then twist the cabels to make them touch the modle in the draw length position..

bfisher
02-05-2010, 06:14 PM
I have never shot a bow with high lettoff until I got my shadowcat. Let me see if I got this right. The draw length Is where like it. The stop has the bow at 80% and the draw length is good. I want 65 or 70 % lettoff. Would i now move my draw length module to the next size hole making it longer. Would I then twist the cabels to make them touch the modle in the draw length position..

In your case NO. If you can get the draw length you like without twisting the cables then YOU are OK. Just like you asked, just set the module for the length you like. Then set the draw stop accordingly. Then move the module to the next longer hole.

The twisting of the cables was in referrence to TXN, who needs a little longer draw than the standard mods can get.

scepterman30x
02-05-2010, 06:15 PM

Yes and I would not twist the cables unless it is causing you not to find the sweet spot or they need to be twisted to orientate the cam for more efficiency.

bfisher
02-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Yes and I would not twist the cables unless it is causing you not to find the sweet spot or they need to be twisted to orientate the cam for more efficiency.

Scott, I t5hink we just said the same thing in a different way.

scepterman30x
02-05-2010, 06:56 PM
You are correct. I'm usually in the shadows reading the post's seldom chiming in because our minds seem to be on the same wave length and I enjoy reading your responses since they are very articulate almost eloquent if you will and I think you type faster me.:D

wildjim
02-05-2010, 10:50 PM
What is the price of the 2010 Martin Shadowcat?

Is is available in the US yet?

Montalaar
02-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Spiker just explained what i've said before. :P

bfisher
02-06-2010, 08:18 AM
What is the price of the 2010 Martin Shadowcat?

Is is available in the US yet?

Rounded off the MSRP is $799. Map price is $749. Map is pretty much the OTC price also.

TXN
02-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Ok, I'm back after being out of town for the weekend. I went by the nearest (150 miles away!) "archery" shop and discovered that they had a very poor selection of ANYTHING! They had no nocking pliers, no serving thread, only one bow square in stock, and a very limited selection of arrow rests. Even after explaining that I needed a rest for shooting fingers, the sales person insisted that I would be happy with a drop away rest or whisker bisquet. I guess I'll have to continue ordering everything online.

I haven't had a chance to look at the link to archerytalk, bfisher, because my work computer has a filter that won't allow me to access that site. I get a message that says it is forbidden due to discussion of weapons. I'll look at it when I get home.

So, as I understand what was said, I could possibly use the existing module and put twists in the string in order to increase draw length and still be able to reduce let-off? I think there may have been a slight discrepancy between what I asked about and the response I got from Spiker. In your reply, you indicate that the 7th hole is 29inches. I wonder if we might be referring to slightly different cams/modules as it is my understanding that the 7th hole on mine is 30 inches. Because of this, there is no way to reduce let-off when the module is set to the 7th hole. Then, if I go to the long draw module, it has only 2 holes, 30.5 and 31. Therefore, there is never an option for a 30 inch draw length AND a reduction in letoff. I'm assuming that after I read the thread on twisting cables, I will understand how I can make it work with the existing module....I'll read the thread at AT after I get home.

Spiker
02-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Am I missing something?

After a bit more research on the new Shadowcats and the 1.5's I will say that I was wrong about the draw length modules.
The longest (#7) position is 30" not 29" like on the previous C.A.T. cammed bows.
Ok - If you want less than 80% let-off (say 75%) and a 30" DL you need to install the LD modules in the 30.5" position. Then set the Draw Stop so that it contacts the limb and stops you at 30"
At this configuration, when the Draw Stop hits the limb, the cables will come off the 'flat' of the draw module right at 1/2" from the end.
Your DL will be 30"
Let-off will be right around 75%
To increase let-off even more - move the Draw Stop so it contacts the limb just a bit sooner.

I hope that helps some.
It is a lot easier to do all that than it is to try to explain it on a keyboard.

TXN
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Ok, I was able to follow that up to the point where the draw stop is set at 30 and the module moved out to 30.5. But, then if I want less than 75% letoff, i still have to shorten to DL to less than 30 if I move the draw stop again, right? Would it not work to set the draw stop at 30 and move the module out to the 31 hole? I think I've got a grasp of the basic concept....just still a little uncertain about how to get to 30DL with about 65% letoff. Is it the cable twisting that is going to get me there?

bfisher
02-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Ok, I was able to follow that up to the point where the draw stop is set at 30 and the module moved out to 30.5. But, then if I want less than 75% letoff, i still have to shorten to DL to less than 30 if I move the draw stop again, right? Would it not work to set the draw stop at 30 and move the module out to the 31 hole? I think I've got a grasp of the basic concept....just still a little uncertain about how to get to 30DL with about 65% letoff. Is it the cable twisting that is going to get me there?

TXN, for now just disregard the cable twisting idea. It might work, but there's a lot of tinkering involved and the end result might ot be what you want anyway.

Spiker's idea is the best solution. I think you said you have the longer mods coming anyway. So do as he suggested and see what the letoff is. And if you still want less letoff you can move the module to the longest setting while leaving the draw stop as is (set for 30") and see what you end up with.

Montalaar
02-09-2010, 12:14 AM
It is kind of fun to see that around 4 people say basically the same thing.

Set up the drawstop and move the mod. :D

alex
02-09-2010, 01:43 AM
OK, may be i'll make the dumb comment, but can't you live with the high let-off? :D So much trouble for 15% ;)

Montalaar
02-09-2010, 04:38 AM
Alex, there is a BIG difference!

With 80% Letoff you can really see how you can twist the string and torque it to the left and right. Especially when shooting fingers this can cause big problems with consistent shooting. 65% Letoff will give you also some more speed and a much smoother draw as the valley is less abrupt.

So you see that 65% Letoff has loads of advantages!

TXN
02-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Ja, Montalaar, I do see that the same thing is being said by everyone, but I guess I'm having trouble understanding the specifics concerning the switch to the long draw modules. If I'm understanding correctly, I can install the long draw mods and then set the draw stop at 30 inches even though 30 inches is not one of the options on the long draw modules. That's the part I didn't get.

Another thing I was curious about is that after I told you what Joel had said on the phone, you indicated that this would mean you could get a 33 inch DL. I don't understand that either. If the long draw module only has 2 holes, one for 30.5 and the other for 31, then how will you get to 33? Perhaps I'm missing something or you are referring to a different long draw module?

And yes, Alex, 15% seems quite significant to me. I have never shot an 80% letoff bow before as the bow I've been shooting for the past 30 years has 65% letoff. Since I'm shooting fingers, I am hoping to be able to take advantage of every option available and get the letoff reduced to 65%.

TXN
02-09-2010, 06:12 AM
I just looked back to post #33 in this thread, Montalaar, where you say that the long draw modules have 2 slots,,,one for 30 and one for 30.5. If that is the case, then it seems quite simple to set it up at 30DL and move the module out to the next hole. However, it is my understanding that the 2 holes in that module are for 30.5 and 31. That's where I was getting confused because that would not leave an option for 30DL while moving out to the next slot. If the draw stop can be set to thirty with the long draw module, then I can see how to do it.

OK, I just read it again and what you are saying is to set the draw stop at 30 with the current module and THEN install the long module at 30.5. That makes sense! Sorry for not getting that a long time ago!

Montalaar
02-09-2010, 07:03 AM
I was wrong in post #33.

The LD mod has two slots for 30.5 and 31" draw. I think i have corrected this later in another posting.

I ordered the Shadowcat with the CAT2.0 Cam not the CAT1.5. The CAT2 is larger and will give you much more draw length. I guess it ranges from 29" to 32" + 1" via the LD mod. Unfortunately it is a custom order so most people do not know that it is possible. :)

If you look at the bottom cam you see the draw stop. You will also see that the slot for the stop is fully machined so you can set it up at every position you want. This makes it possible to set up the drawlength and change the module afterwards. :)

TXN
02-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Ok, I think I finally have a really good understanding of what I have to do. It all seems so simple now. I appreciate that you guys so patiently explained this, over and over until I got it. I think I totally missed it way back about 3 pages ago when Montalaar explained it perfectly and I just didn't realize that the drawstop could be set at 30 with the current module and then left there while I switched over to the long draw module. Thanks for all the help. I started experimenting with shooting the Shadowcat yesterday and must say that I have a new appreciation for how much bow technology has advanced since I last purchased a bow 30 years ago:)

bfisher
02-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Hey, 6 pages, 7 pages? Who's counting? So long as we get you straightened out is what matters. Patience is a virtue and we learn that more and more as we get older.

And Alex, the poor soul. Young guys have never had the privilige of shooting a bow with 20% to 50% letoff like some of us oldies. And fingers? God forbid they should build up any calluses. Just razzin ya, Alex.

Montalaar
02-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Hey, 6 pages, 7 pages? Who's counting? So long as we get you straightened out is what matters. Patience is a virtue and we learn that more and more as we get older.

And Alex, the poor soul. Young guys have never had the privilige of shooting a bow with 20% to 50% letoff like some of us oldies. And fingers? God forbid they should build up any calluses. Just razzin ya, Alex.

Ever shot a bow with 0% Letoff? I assume it to be called 'Recurve'-bow and i have done that for approx 7 years. ;)

Oh, and i really like my bows with 50% Letoff. :P

alex
02-10-2010, 01:38 AM
:D Guys, i must confess that have no idea what's the let-off of my MOAB - i've adjusted the draw stop in the midle of its track and the bow feels good - thats enough for me :) My other compound bow has a rounded small cams and i guess its let-off is 50% and i also shoot a mongolian horsebow and some selfmade bows, so i know the 0% let-off too.

Montalaar
02-10-2010, 03:55 AM
Did i mention that i oredered my second Shadowcat in crimson tide yesterday? I am very curious which on ewill show up first. The one in titan from november or the one in crimson from february.

TXN
02-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Ok, now I have another question about this. I received the longdraw modules that I ordered today, but they just look so different from the original modules that I'm concerned that I may have received the wrong modules. Is there a way I can tell if these are the correct modules?

First they are a totally different color. The originals are black like the cams and these are gray. Also, these have the letters C.A.T. stamped into them, while the originals don't. But the bigger differences are that the channel in the longdraw mods seems slightly wider and tapers in a different way. Also, the general shape of the whole thing is different. Could these be CAT cams that are different from the CAT 1.5? The receipt that came with it says, longdraw modules for CAT 1.5, so I know the guy was aware of what I needed....and maybe these are correct and I just didn't realize how different they would look??

Montalaar: hope you get one of them soon!

Montalaar
02-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Got a pm from Martin today that my order is "in rotation now". Whatever that means.

The LD mod has to look different to provide you the additional length. I guess you simply received an LD-Mod from 2009. I do not believe that they changed the design of the mod from 2009 to 2010 and the color of the module in 2009 was ash grey as you desribe it. Also the description of the wider cable track and the stamped 'CAT' sounds like the 09 module. I am pretty sure that they have not changed that lot in the design. I really prefer a wider cable track as it reduces friction and cable wear. The only negative is that they changed the color of the 2010-module to black..

TXN
02-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks Montalaar. I have held them up next to the current modules and I can visualize how the holes will line up and it appears that they will work, so I think you're right. I wish they had sent them in black though. The bow is totally camo and I intend to use it for hunting, so the silver grey modules will certainly stand out against the rest of the bow.

Do I understand correctly that switching to the longdraw module is simply a matter of removing the old one and installing the new one in it's place and that no bow press will be needed? I probably won't attempt to do it for at least a couple more days and I want to be sure I know what I'm doing before I attempt it. Is there anything I should be aware of or pay particular attention to when switching them?

And another question. I'm thinking about the need to set the draw stop and am wondering about the process for doing it. If it needs to be set to stop when the bow is at full draw, then how can I possibly mark where it needs to be if I'm drawing the bow? Do I need to have another person there to mark it while I draw the bow? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I've never dealt with this type of system and really don't know how to do it. I want to be very precise about it and can't imagine how to do it while I've got both hands on the bow.....just loosen it and let it slide???

Montalaar
02-12-2010, 12:36 AM
You should be able to switch them without a bow press. The only problem could be that one of the screws is behind a cable or the limb. In this case you might need further assistance (from us - of course... ).

I guess you could paint the modules by yourself or let it powdercoat. I painted one set of my Nitrous Cams from grey to black some months ago and apparently it works. Just in the case that you are too worried about that outstanding color (which should not matter to the deer. They wont even recognize it..).

The best method would be to use a drawboard. Unfortunately most people do not even own one and my own broke. If i understood you right your draw stop is already set up from the pro shop so i would recommend to just remove the cap and loosen it a bit to move it some mm (i think that is something x/16" or x/8"), tighten it and draw the bow. If it fits you can stop by now, if not you will have to do it again until the draw fits to you.

XSpot
02-12-2010, 06:13 AM
I set my draw stop short ar first the move it back a little bit at a time , until the lettoff to to you likeing. A little goes a long way. I would have someone watch the cabels and have them tell you or look below how close you are to hitting the flat part on the module.

Montalaar
02-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Something completely different:

Has anyone received a crimson cat yet?
And does anybody know the stirng and cable length for the Shadowcat with CAT2-Cam?

TXN
02-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks for your help! I'm not really too concerned about the color of the module spooking deer, it would just be nice for aesthetic purposes if it were all black. I probably will be busy all weekend and won't have a chance to work on the bow until Monday, but at that time I will certainly hit you guys up for more help if I run into any difficulties. I'm impressed with the helpfulness of the people on this site. Not having any archery experts nearby makes it quite difficult to learn anything, so you guys are much appreciated.

Spiker
02-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQQOGXNzL8

After you install the modules mark them like they show when they check the cam timing and then set your Draw Stop so the cables are coming off the mods at that 1/2" mark when the Stop contacts the limb.
That is a great place to start.
The bow they are setting up is a Rytera Nemesis but the cam timing and draw stop is the same for the C.A.T. cams.

Thanks for your help! I'm not really too concerned about the color of the module spooking deer, it would just be nice for aesthetic purposes if it were all black. I probably will be busy all weekend and won't have a chance to work on the bow until Monday, but at that time I will certainly hit you guys up for more help if I run into any difficulties. I'm impressed with the helpfulness of the people on this site. Not having any archery experts nearby makes it quite difficult to learn anything, so you guys are much appreciated.

TXN
02-14-2010, 01:14 PM
I just made an attempt at switching out the modules and now I'm pretty sure that the longdraw modules I received are not the correct modules for these cams. After setting the original modules to the last hole, for 30" DL, I moved the draw stop to corrospond. Then, I removed the modules and tried to replace them with the longdraw modules. That's where I discovered a problem....there is no way to line the holes up! When I line up one of the number 8 holes with the hole in the cam, then the other number 8 hole is about an inch away from where it needs to be. I looked it all over and double checked everything and I see no possible way to make these modules work. They must be for CAT cams rather than CAT 1.5. That's what I'm thinking anyway.

update...I called the dealer that I ordered them from and they are going to send the correct modules, so maybe I will get them this week.