PDA

View Full Version : frozen module screws

ezbite
12-23-2009, 08:12 PM
wanted to shorten my draw length on my alien X, but i cant budge 3 of the 4 module screws. ive twisted up one allen wrench, broke another, bloodied my fingers, heated the screws with a soidering iron and soked the screws with wd-40 and still wont budge. any suggestions?

JohnnyThunder
12-23-2009, 08:56 PM
don't heat them - that makes metal expand and it will just make it worse

bigbob
12-24-2009, 01:53 AM
could try heating[ carefully ] again and then quenching with water to shrink them and break the seal. might help but I would be careful especially if they are fiber mods.

AlienX
12-24-2009, 04:15 AM
Hey Merry Christmas
Ive hade the same problem what i ended up doing is drilling out the screw and putting a diferent one in :( prolly not what you wanted to hear

golfisserious
12-26-2009, 05:26 PM
before they are fubar, go to your local auto parts store and find out if they have any easy outs, and invest in quality allens... make sure the pressure is off the limbs... could be putting side torque on the screws... typically allens are famous for stripping their intended screws... not the other way around... be sure you are using "standard" measurement allens... or you will be $%cked...worst case you might have to drill em and re tap them holes... but if you allen is slipping I would invest in a "quality" american made set before going any further... the correct allen should barely fit in the hole and have no wiggle what so ever...zip zero zilch... if it does, its 1. stripped or 2. not the right tool for the job. and/or possibly 3. just a plain old chinese junk tool

good luck

ezbite
12-26-2009, 07:09 PM
The one that broke was an "Allen" Allen wrench and the one that twisted is a craftsman. so I'm supposing their quailty tools. I'm 45 and have Learned over the years to buy quality tools and leave the junk tools alone. I talked to Joel at Martin the other day and it's covered by warrenty, so I think I'm just sending it in Monday. I'm to the point of doing more damage than good. Let the experts fix it. besides that, I don't have replacement screws.

golfisserious
12-26-2009, 08:09 PM
once you mail it, you won't see it for three weeks, I don't care what they say... as long as you are cool with that, then i would do the same

ezbite
12-26-2009, 08:39 PM
once you mail it, you won't see it for three weeks, I don't care what they say... as long as you are cool with that, then i would do the same

ive still got my firecat to keep me happy:D

golfisserious
12-26-2009, 09:43 PM
this is all to funny to me... I play golf, I bow hunt, and I own two 1969 el camino's ...I have two sets of taylormade golf clubs... and one old set of macgregors...

I can see the writing on the wall if you will... I am most definately going to need a back up martin bow...

my gf is going to think I am completely crazy

ezbite
12-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Two won't be enough :D

Spiker
12-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Sometimes its good to have a backup girlfriend too...:eek:

golfisserious
12-27-2009, 04:05 PM
never is...never is

ezbite
12-27-2009, 05:04 PM
never is...never is

Great reply, (she's reading this thread hun?)lol:D

Longrodder
12-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Try some spray such as KROLL or PB Blaster. Spray it on and let it set for about 20 minutes. Try the screws then. ;) WD-40 is a lubricant...not a penetrant.

ezbite
12-31-2009, 10:39 PM
did try some blaster also, same results

racknspur
01-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Got mine out w/a kit I bought @ Lowes specifically for removing stripped or stuck screws. You have to carefully drill out the screw a bit with the bit provided then use another bit in the kit (reverse threaded) and it should come out, but you will need a new Mod. screw. It worked very good, but you do have to be VERY carefull not to bore out the hole it the com. As far as I could tell, I didn't come close to the actual cam hole. Good luck. Oh, kit was about $20.00

Rockyhud
01-01-2010, 02:11 PM
I've had trouble with cam module screws sticking too. I thought it had something to do with using dissimilar metals - steel screws in aluminum holes. I had some stick almost to the point I wasn't sure they would release and just as I was about to give up they would snap loose. This would always produce a brief metallic odor kind of like what you smell when welding. I just thought that was normal. Another thing - I've always just given them a slightly snug final torque so it's not like I've been cranking down hard.

I recently decided to replace the OEM screws with stainless steel screws for a different reason. Last fall I hunted in rainy weather quite a bit and didn't wipe down my bow as often as needed to prevent rust. Consequently several black steel screws started rusting, including the cam screws. When I was taking the old screws out for the last time one screw just wouldn't break loose. I too tried WD-40 and put some serious twist in a Sears allen wrench. It finally busted loose after several attempts over several days.

So, is this something to be concerned about? Should I contact Martin to see about getting the cams and modules replaced? Would this, along with cam lean at full draw, be justification for replacing the cams, modules, limbs and limb cups like Barry did recently?