PDA

View Full Version : New bow....Pro or Gold series?

drm11900
12-24-2009, 07:35 AM
My last new bow (Jennings Buckmaster) is now 18 years old. Wow how things have changed! I've narrowed my next purchase to be a Martin. I tend to research things to death so it's taken some time to land on Martin.

Now my main question to you all is should I go with a Pro series or Gold.
Does one have advantage over the other?
My budget is $500-$600 bare bow.

Shooting #60 with 30" draw mostly backyard target, some 3-D shots just because they're fun and deer hunting. I've been blessed with a lot of nice bucks. The old Buckmaster is a killer, but I just want to upgrade.

That's my main focus question but I have another. I recently bought a used Martin P3 dual cam bow. Heres a link to earlier post.
http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=5551

I cant seem to get the crazy thing to settle in with cam lean and timing. Even the pro shop guys can't get it quite right. There seems to be a lot of forum talk about dual cams and cam lean. My last bow was a single cam and I've never had to mess with it. That's what I like set it and forget it. With that being said are single cams more reliable?

Thanks in advance for the input and Merry Christmas to all.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-24-2009, 07:54 AM
It is mostly a matter of preference. As far as I know both single cam bows and dual cams bows both have their pros and cons. So if you like a single cam bow, then go for it. I currently shoot a single cam and have no complaints about it.:)
And as far as Gold Series or Pro Series, Gold Series shoot very well and so do Pro Series.

RogerSr
12-24-2009, 09:30 AM
I Like dual cam bows, all the bows I own are dual cam, and all but one are Martins, and all the Martin are shoot throughs, with a shoot through there is no cam lean, and dual cam bows are faster.

jpermenter
12-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I agree with Hutch, it is a matter of preference mostly to me. I shoot a single cam and a dual cam and I am going to buy a dual cam Rytera in a couple months. If you are a "set it and forget it" kind of guy (which I am for my hunting set up) I would go single cam. If you like to tinker then you might want to go with a dual cam. With today's technology I dont think speed is an issue with either type. Pro and Gold series have both single and dual cams I believe. I have heard really good things about the shadow cat but for me it would be a little long for a hunting rig. I like the firecat and it comes in both single and dual cams. I shoot a cheetah for hunting and I love it. Good Luck in your decision and I think you are definatly on the right track going with a Martin.

drm11900
12-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Right now I guess I'm leaning towards either the Firecat TR1 or The Pantera. Both Single cams. I test shot a 2008 MOAB Single cam and a 2009 Firecat Pro-X Dual cam. Both fast and quiet. I'm a little scared of the dual cam just because of my P3 cam experience. Although the TR2 brags to have no cam lean because of the new improved Cat2 cam system. It's just that this is a big purchase and I like every body else would like to make the best possible choice.

bowgramp59
12-26-2009, 04:38 PM
the firecat tr1 is the new name for the moab, i have a 2008 and a 2009 moab, both are very good bows you can get one for the money you have and you want go wrong

golfisserious
12-26-2009, 08:45 PM
if it helps any, I was shooting a 22 year old bow until about 5 days ago... I saw a martin after doing a lot of research, on ebay... and the poor guy let a poor description sell his item and I got it for a 150smackers... I am so happy with this bow... my old bow was a deer killer, but this thing is awesome for a lack of better words...

I can not wait... I am gonna take it in the field on monday...and I am looking forward to it, I was confident with my old darton... but these new single cam bows are so tunable and so incredibly accurate that, if you use it for hunting, I would recommend a single cam...where kinetic energy with a well placed shot is what matters... not perfection at 60yds that can't penetrate...

I would recommend getting refitted again for a new bow, because they are different... and clearances are much better... good luck... and fill those deer tags... cause thats the only thing that matters...

AlienX
12-27-2009, 05:29 PM
IMO you should try the Alien X awsome bow shoot it and you will fall in love

jpermenter
12-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Im waiting to get my hands on an Alien Nemesis, It will probably be Feb. in vegas before I do BUT I have a feeling it will be mine by mid-year. That skull camo dip they have is just awesome.