PDA

View Full Version : Think I messed up and need some help

Dark Halo
12-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I got a ccs and sts upgrade kit for my 09 cheetah for Christmas and tried to install it myself, this was problem no.1. I do have a rachet style bow press but I have never worked on one before. The only reason I tried it my self is I thought it couldnt be to bad and it is hard to find someone in my area to do bow work with out charging an arm and a leg. The problem is when I release the pressure there is slack in the cable which makes me think I have it on wrong. Does anyone know how to properly string this bow and do you have any idea what I am doing wrong? Photos would be a great help.

Dark Halo
12-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I was also going to add if I end up needing a new string from all this what is recommended?

brushrat
12-24-2009, 05:45 PM
I got a ccs and sts upgrade kit for my 09 cheetah for Christmas and tried to install it myself, this was problem no.1. I do have a rachet style bow press but I have never worked on one before. The only reason I tried it my self is I thought it couldnt be to bad and it is hard to find someone in my area to do bow work with out charging an arm and a leg. The problem is when I release the pressure there is slack in the cable which makes me think I have it on wrong. Does anyone know how to properly string this bow and do you have any idea what I am doing wrong? Photos would be a great help.

merry xmas...nice present. If you go on line to "martinarchery.com" and get on the 09 bow manuals there is a diagram that shows exactly how the string and cable are to be installed. Your string is probably ok if it doesn't have broken strands.

Several suppliers for replacement strings. personal preferance for sure. What ever you get you might consider extra serving around the area of the cam, the idler and the CCs. good luck:)

RobD
12-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Cool Christmas Present,That should give u some more speed ,and make your draw and release much smother.

Dark Halo
12-24-2009, 08:21 PM
The problem is when I put the string on, the cam does not fall into the right location and there is no tension on the cable. I have no Idea what I am doing wrong. I have used the manual but I do not know if you have to put one end on first or what. Maybe I screwed something up.

RobD
12-24-2009, 11:05 PM
this may help,go to top of the page ,click on martin tech forum then scroll down to [bow cam charts]at the bottom of the page it say down load bow manual ,find your bow on list ,and i think it shows how your Bow string is routed also i don't think you have to remove your string to put the CCS on.there's a C clip on the pin that runs threw the CCS,after removing that the roler comes out ,then u can pull string into CCS then put roller back on,don't quote me ,but looking at mine that seems the way i would do it,but work on finding string route first before putting CCS on.Hope it work for u.

Hoosieroutdoorsman
12-25-2009, 04:55 AM
Make sure when you hold the bow like you are shooting it the buss cable is on the left side of the CCS and the string is on the right side. If you feel you hooked the string and cable back to the cam wrong, the string will wrap around the outer edge of the cam the same way the main part of the string wraps around the inner side of the cam, if you hooked that up backwards this could be your prob.

Dark Halo
12-25-2009, 09:23 AM
I will have to take a photo and show you guys what I am talking about. I have it as per the manual but there is no tension on the cable for some reason I know they say if you want to get rid of the extra draw weight you need to extend the cable 1/2 an inch. I was looking foward to the extra weight for some extra speed but could this be the problem?

rjd
12-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Just a thought but are the cables differant lenghts if your using the cable slide as to the roller guide? Thought I read this somewhere about a differant brand of bow. Could this be the problem.

Dark Halo
12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
I got it fixed, not sure what I was doing wrong still. I do know they say to get rid of the extra 10# of draw weight get a cable that is 1/2 in longer. Just wonder if I go a 1/4 longer will it retain about 5 # of added draw.

bfisher
12-30-2009, 01:22 PM
I got it fixed, not sure what I was doing wrong still. I do know they say to get rid of the extra 10# of draw weight get a cable that is 1/2 in longer. Just wonder if I go a 1/4 longer will it retain about 5 # of added draw.

That would be a close approximation, but it will alter the draw length a bit also.