PDA

View Full Version : Need to determine model to change draw length

winddrift
12-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Purchased a Martin bow used and I am having a hard time understanding the model and cams used. The following is what I know in terms I have gathered from other posts. Elite limbs as they are marked "Elite" peak weight 65-80, let off is HL, string length 54.5, cable length 39, draw length 28, bow number 9223. The cams have 3HL on them.

I want to get to a point in which I can change the draw lenth from 28" to 29" and wouldn't mind dropping a few pound of draw weight but not willing to buy new limbs to get there. Does anyone know what I have and what I would need to do to change draw? Is it just a function of string lenth or doe cams have to change?

Thanks for any help.

RogerSr
12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
If you can post a picture of the bow, and one of the cam, it would help.

winddrift
12-30-2009, 05:45 AM
RogerSR,

I believe I uploaded the files correctly. Thanks for the help.

Winddrift

scepterman30x
12-30-2009, 06:11 AM
I believe your bow is a "Rage". You have Fury cams so your draw is what it is (other than about 3/8" either way by orientating the cams) but by the looks of how they are presently orientated you can't lengthen them any more. If you want 1" longer draw length from where it is right now you will need a #4 cam (if you want to stay with the same type cam system) and since you would be going up in cam size you would possibly lose some poundage but not enough to mount to anything or you might go to a #5 cam and under rotate you cam a little since now it is a little over rotated but it might still be a little long for you and by going two cam sizes up and under rotating the cam your DW might be where you want it. You will also more than likely need new strings and cables.

winddrift
12-30-2009, 06:23 AM
scepterman30x,

Thanks for the rely. Where is a good source of cams? You also said "If you say with the same cams" what would be my other choice in cams? Maybe I should just start over with a new bow.........

Thanks, Winddrift

scepterman30x
12-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Judging by your bows A/A and BH. I would say you need some NOS B cams...good luck finding some at a reasonable price. Or you could find some one who has a Fusion cam, Dyna cam or a M-Pro cam these are single cam systems but they are draw lenght adjustable with the correct module and the should be readily available to be bought or traded on ArcheryTalk.com. or right from Martin themselves. As far as staying with the same cam you will need to find out exactly what your DL is and find out what your bows exact DL is (with the cams orientated properly, they are over rotated at the moment) and order the next size cam up. Just remember each # up increases the DL by 1" so you may need 2 sizes up. On top of all this you will need new strings and cables. Best case senario if you want to stay with the same bow is to call Martin and see if they will exchange your present cams for some of the correct DL...they are pretty cool about that if you have a DL specific cam and who knows they may even throw in some strings and cables since they are for a bow not in production any longer. Talk to Joel, Dawn or Jeremy, not nessicarily in that order. All of them are great to deal with.

winddrift
12-30-2009, 07:30 AM
scepterman30x,

Thanks much I will start working from here. This will be interesting.

Thanks again,

Winddrift

scepterman30x
12-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Furious cams will work also if you want to go with the same type of cam with the ability to adjust the DL. They make a small and a large cam with the ability to use small medium or large mods for a wide range of DL adjustability.
If you want to go that route let us know you what your BH and your A/A length is and we can tell you if you need the small or large cams and with what mods. Shooting from the hip I would say the Large cams with either small or medium mods.