PDA

View Full Version : long draw moab.

bigbob
12-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Being 6'4'' and dragging my knuckles on the ground when I walk can any body see any problems if I elect to get a used moab for hunting. Thinking about any problems lining up peep etc. I havent as yet tried peep, release, and sights as I shoot a long axle 2 axle cougar with fingers. Its about 42 1/2 Ata and the moab is about 32 1/2.Any thoughts on the matter?

Dave308
12-30-2009, 10:37 AM
I shoot a 31.5" DL on the Moab. It takes a little getting use to because of the short ata but it gets the job done.

bfisher
12-30-2009, 01:35 PM
My personal opinion would be to stay with a longer ATA bow. I know the rage these days is short, shorter, and shortest, but it's not always the best.
You will find the string angle at full draw to be quite acute, which means maybe you won't be able to touch your nose to the string--unless you anchor pretty high and/or increase the draw length substantially, which isn't happening. The peep will be farther from your eye which may make sighting difficult.

I'd say try the bow if you can or something with a similar ATA to see what you think, because altimately you're the one who has to live with it. Personally, I"d set the Cougar up to shoot a release and see how it feels. You're talking about a lot of changes and going from fingers to release is not always easy for some. Add to that a new, short bow and, well, you know what I'm trying to say.

Now consider this info is coming from a guy 5'8" tall, 26.5" draw. I have a couple short bows (2008 FireCat) and they both shoot well, but I still get better stability and accuracy with bows 36" long or longer. Also I've come up through the ranks and shot compounds for 35 years, back when a short bow was 48".

bigbob
12-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks Dave 308 and bfisher.
Cant change cougar to release as I am a contrary type and want to keep shooting fingers at comps. Take your points about short bows, but on one point, dont bring string to nose now as I anchor at corner of mouth. Would I have to do so to align peep with eye?

RogerSr
12-30-2009, 03:05 PM
You big guy's have it hard when it comes to bows that will fit your draw, one of my sons is 6'6" and the best hunting bow that I could put together for him is a Razor X with 14" SE limbs, he tried to shoot some shorter bows like a Cheetah I had, but he is just to big for them, and can't sight them right, and the draw is way to short, I'm only 5'10" and have owned some short bows but sold them all, the shortest bow that I have right now is
33 3/4" ATA that i use for hunting, I just shoot the longer ATA bows better, and at your size you will to.

bigbob
12-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks roger,
Looks like its back to plan A which was a Razor x or Slayer

RogerSr
12-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks roger,
Looks like its back to plan A which was a Razor x or Slayer

Bigbob,
you could do a lot worse, the Razor x and Slayer are both great bows, and I think you will shoot them better, good luck Roger.

bigbob
12-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Going to go that way Thanks for the help, Roger , over and out.

bigbob
12-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Just an update , bought a used razor x se so will be keen to see it in a about 10 days or when it gets here.

bfisher
12-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Just an update , bought a used razor x se so will be keen to see it in a about 10 days or when it gets here.

Good for you. I hope it meets your expectations. Stop back if you need any help.

bigbob
12-31-2009, 07:22 AM
We get it early . Happy New Year!

alex
12-31-2009, 09:21 AM
Happy New Year to all! :)