PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Slayer

rjd
01-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Looking at picking up a 05' Slayer 60# max. left hand. Has the Nitrous cams. Newer string/cables. I've shot it really like it. Was wondering what everone else thinks of there's? How they are to tune? They are fairly fast right. Any comments either good or bad .

Thanks
Roger

rnfrazier
01-01-2010, 03:43 PM
I have never owned a Slayer, but I have owned 3 or 4 bows with the nitrous cams and they are great and not too bad speed wise. I was getting 280fps out of a 60# bow and a 27" draw.

bfisher
01-01-2010, 04:15 PM
I had a 2004 SlayR, very similar to the 2005 only about 10 oz. heavier. Tell ya what. If you like speed you gonna like this bow. Those Nitrous cams are speed burners. The rest of the bow holds very nicely, too.

I had a 60# with B cams and at 27.5" draw shooting an IBO weight arrow it smoked at 308 fps. Backed it down to 27" draw and it still did 299 fps.

RogerSr
01-01-2010, 04:49 PM
I have a 05 SlayR and it is a shooter, mine has Nitrous C cams and is a shoot through, at one time it was the fastest bow I owned, and it still holds it's own, it was my hunting bow, but now I use it for 3D,
it is the bow that I'm holding in my Profile picture, it is a sweet shooter,
at one time I had #60 limbs on it, now it has #50 limbs and it 's max is #53
I guess I'm getting old.

rjd
01-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys I'm shooting a Firecat now. The speed sure will be a nice bonus.This one will be left handed so I'll be starting over. . I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

Desmond
01-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Slayer is the way to go. :D I won't trade mine for anything. :cool:

davydtune
01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Looking at picking up a 05' Slayer 60# max. left hand. Has the Nitrous cams. Newer string/cables. I've shot it really like it. Was wondering what everone else thinks of there's? How they are to tune? They are fairly fast right. Any comments either good or bad .

Thanks
Roger

I have one and love it! I actually have 05, 06, 07, and 08 Slayers and the 05 is my favorite. :D

rjd
01-06-2010, 12:41 PM
So are there any tricks to wring all the extre speed out of these Slayers?

badger561
01-06-2010, 01:28 PM
So are there any tricks to wring all the extre speed out of these Slayers?

You can put a couple of twists on the string. Gains of a couple pounds will speed things up a little.

bfisher
01-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Not the string. Twisting the string shortens the draqw length and drops the draw weight. And it under rotates the cams. The cables are what you need to twist. Of course you get more speed. You just made the draw length and weight go up.

To tell the truth, if my 2004 SlayR was any example there wasn't much need to try to wring more speed out of it. The Nitrous cams were one of the better cam designs ever developed.

There are things you can do, but you should have a chrongraph available to check any adjustments. For one, you can a string made from a lighter material than stock. BCY 8125 is one of the fastest you can get. Shorten the center serving to an absolute minimum. If you use a loop keep it as short as possible and shorten the center serving to no more than 3".

Maybe work with a couple brass nocksets and use them close to the cams as speed balls. This is where the chrono comes in handy. You have to see how many are needed and just where to locate them; usually within about 2" from the cams.

Shoot the lightest arrow you can, staying within the 5 gr/lb rule if you're worrid about a warranty. If not then try using the AMO minimum arrow weight chart. Here again, if you are shooting ASA or IBO shoots then there are rules that apply. ASA is no problem. You'll have to slow it down to be legal in ASA.

Twisting the rigging here and there can optimize the cam position and gain some there. Find and install a set of 65% modules. Try to shoot the mods at the highest draw length setting, keeping in mind that proper draw length is more important than extra speed by overdrawing.

That's it for now. Maybe more after you get the thing and try it.

rjd
01-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Well sounds like I'll be likin' this bow as much as my Firecat . Ron has a new string going on it for when I pick it up. I think he has it set up pretty good now 54# 27" draw getting 280 fps. So I'll just see what we can wring out of it.

RogerSr
01-06-2010, 08:30 PM
My 05 SlayR max's out at #53 I have 3 speed nock's on each side of the string about 1 1/2" from the cam,'s a 3 1/2" center serving, I shoot GT Ultralight 500s 29" with 80Gr nibs low profile vines, for a total weight of
282Gr. I use this for 3D, and it works great, and it's shooting in the 290s.
and a small D loop is all that is on the string, forgot about the peep sight.