PDA

View Full Version : which one should i chose?

kbaird83
01-03-2010, 05:14 PM
i currently have a oppertunity to purchase either a 09 martin cheetah or 09 martin bengal for very good prices. which one is the better bow?

bfisher
01-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Well, either is OK, but I know me and I'll take the longer bow every time.

kbaird83
01-03-2010, 05:52 PM
the cheetah is 339 and the bengal is 319. both bare bones both 09's and both ship for free

bfisher
01-03-2010, 06:24 PM
No doubt about it. Take the Bengal. You'll be happy.

RogerSr
01-03-2010, 07:01 PM
When it comes to bows longer is better, like bfisher says.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
I would have to agree with them. My Bengal is great!!!!:D

tommyhydro
01-04-2010, 03:11 AM
well i guess that im gonna have to be the lone defender of the cheetah in this post......:D

that's weird that the Bengal is cheaper than the cheetah, never seen that before. myself personally i like the short ATA of the cheetah, but to each his own, either one would be a great buy:D

mudnation 1
01-04-2010, 04:40 AM
Ive shot both and own a cheetah but I blind hunt for turkeys so I went with the cheetah but they felt and shot the same to me.

jb24333
01-04-2010, 06:34 PM
i would take the Bengal

kbaird83
01-04-2010, 06:53 PM
i bought the bengal just waiting for it to show up at my door. seemed to be a great price for the bow everywhere else i was seeing between 400-470 bucks. im planning on setting it up with a NAP capture rest the one with the small brushes, a tubeless peep, string leeches, a d loop, and im shooting beeman ICS 9.1gpi arrows with 3 inch vanes. any idea of what type of fps it should be shooting at? oh yeah and a 29" draw at 65#'s. also would you recommend the sts system? and the CCS or cable slide? i have never bought a new bow and was suprised to see that the martin matched up in every way with the diamond i was looking at except the price. having a hard time retiring my high country though.

kbaird83
01-04-2010, 06:55 PM
also i bought the 60# bow i have seen that martin runs in 15# increments. this means its adjustable from 60-75#'s right?

Spiker
01-05-2010, 04:44 AM
also i bought the 60# bow i have seen that martin runs in 15# increments. this means its adjustable from 60-75#'s right?

It will be 45#-60# range if it is a 60# bow.

kbaird83
01-05-2010, 04:23 PM
guess i should of checked that one out first. haha oh well. i know alot of bows you can actually get a extra 2-3 lbs over the max draw weight. can you do that with these bows? i wanted to shoot 65 but could live with 62-63. can you get that extra out of it or is it either top out at 60 or buy the 70# limbs?

davydtune
01-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Both are fine bows but I'd go with the Bengal. It's longer ATA will be a little my forgiving. I have an 08 Bengal as a back up and it is a great bow, one of the best shooting I've ever had.

davydtune
01-12-2010, 05:08 AM
guess i should of checked that one out first. haha oh well. i know alot of bows you can actually get a extra 2-3 lbs over the max draw weight. can you do that with these bows? i wanted to shoot 65 but could live with 62-63. can you get that extra out of it or is it either top out at 60 or buy the 70# limbs?

If you at the very top of the draw length range then yes you could get a few more than max but that isn't a good practice. I'd suggest never going over what the limbs are rated for. If one does they are just inviting limb problems.

baerman
01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Hey Kbaird,
I recently bought a Bengal after being out of archery for about 12 years. WHAT A GREAT BOW. I agree with what Mr. Fischer says about more length.....as a matter of fact, I've added the 35" ATA Wart Hog to my collection of Martin bows.
Hope it turns out for you!
________
roor bong (http://roorbongs.org)

baerman
01-12-2010, 01:43 PM
By the way, KBaird, I think that you'll be very happy with a 60# bow.....a couple of pounds more isn't that significant, but the additional shooter comfort and ability to hold your shot could mean the difference between success and failure. Sounds like a very nice bow.
________
Harley-Davidson Model 10 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Model_10)

Spiker
01-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Yes - do not get hung up on a number. Shoot a little less weight, use a little lighter arrow and the speed will be the same - except - it will be much easier for you to be accurate with.

kbaird83
01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
i bought the bow and so far i love it. so much that i have been out in 8 inches of snow shooting it. i cant stop shooting it. they really are amazing shooting bows. and i could shoot all day with the smooth draw cycle. awesome bow. just waiting on my sts system to get here. and special instructions for setting that up or does it pretty much just slap in place?

jpermenter
01-12-2010, 03:37 PM
pretty much slaps in place, slide the rod in the back sts hole and tighten the set screw from the side. Congrats on the new bow. glad you like it.

kbaird83
01-12-2010, 05:03 PM
before i bought it i shot a couple new mathews, bowtech general, and the diamond ice man and the rock. as far as im concerned this was the better bow. it wasnt the fastest by any means. but speed only matters so much when your hunting. it had hands down the smoothest draw in the group. and durring late season in michigan when it can be in the single digits a smooth easy to draw bow beats a extra 30-40fps any day. it has almost no hand shock or grip twist when shot. and it was the quietest (although the mathews were pretty quiet). the string made a little noise when shot but i think the sts will solve this. and it was either the lightest or sencond lightest in the group (the rock was pretty light). it also, i thought, was the best looking. the new mathews risers look like milk crates. and the kicker it was the cheapest by over a hundred bucks. to make a bow in the 400-450 dollar range that more than hold its own with bows in the 600-800 dollar range is quite impressive. martin has my vote. and everyone said they have the best warrenty and service in the industry.

kbaird83
01-14-2010, 02:50 PM
picked up some 8.4gpi beman ics 400's. noticed the difference right off in speed. the guy at gander mountain opened the case and just dropped his jaw at the bow. then about hit the floor when i told him the price. when getting it paper tuned he shot it. stopped and looked at it. drew it. looked at it. shot it again. looked at it some more. then started walking back to 10 yards shot 20 yards shot by this point i realized he was just playing with it. when i finally got him to give it up he told me that he couldnt believe how great the bow was. and he also said that it was better than any bow they sold and he was going to go check into buying one. haha