PDA

View Full Version : speed

jesus1
01-08-2010, 05:36 PM
i am new to this. my question is how fast should my 2009 firecat with cat cams be shooting with a 300 grain arrow set on 60 lb with a 28 inch draw

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the forum. :)
As to your question, you will have to wait for a more experienced member to answer your question, because we haven't dealt much with compound bow speeds.

bfisher
01-08-2010, 07:07 PM
With a fairly normal setup you should be looking right at 300fps. Anything more would be a bonus.

jesus1
01-10-2010, 09:42 AM
thanks. for the answer. it showed on the chrony at 299. thank you. can i get any more speed out of it with my set up.

Rockyhud
01-10-2010, 11:52 AM
The short answer is yes. The easiest, regarding bow setup, is to increase draw weight and/or draw length, however you have to also consider whether either of these will make your bow exceed what you can comfortably shoot. You might also get some extra performance by tuning your cams for greater efficiency.

ArcheryTalk forums are another great resource and there are several threads that are specific to tuning CAT cams. I don't have the exact URL to provide you a direct link handy right now but a search for "CAT cam tuning" will get you very close to these. One that was a big help was one that gstudt (AT username) started and has LOTS of precise tuning advise along with photos to show what he's referring to. He's a recognized CAT Cams tuning expert and it shows in what he has to pass along. Another tuner is Nuts&Bolts and he has a very closely related thread that helped my polish off my tuning efforts and achieve the smooth draw and "bump at the end" issue I had.

jesus1
01-10-2010, 01:19 PM
thanks. our problem where we live (southwest virginia and east tennessee)there is not a good bow pro anywhere to work on bows. we are limited to what the factory does to them.

Rockyhud
01-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Jesus,
You really don't need a lot of expensive equipment to tune your cams, if that's what you're thinking about and adjusting draw weight or draw length is very simple. For the most part all you need is a set of Allen wrenches, either as a multi-tool or set of individual wrenches to do these adjustments.

If you're wanting to tune the cams, having a bow press is very desirable so you aren't having to constantly turn your limb bolts out and back in again each time you need to twist your cables and/or string. These can run $50 and up with some like bow shops use costing a few hundred bucks. I bought a BowMaster, primarily to have one I could take in the field if needed and I've found it to be quite adequate for my needs. This one cost me about $50 and does what I need, albeit not as quickly and effortlessly as an Apple or similar press. This uses a cable tensioning system to draw the limbs in and it takes several turns by hand to do this but again it does the job.

Another benefit of doing these adjustments yourself is, besides being able to perform them when you want or need, you learn a lot about your bow.

jesus1
01-12-2010, 04:07 PM
thanks for the info. i need to learn more about cam tuning and twisting strings. what should be the number of twists on my 2009 firecat string. i have done all i can do to enhance the bows performance. papertune,max drawlength for me, max weight for me, 300 grain arrow etc etc. any secrets out there.

Brem
01-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Jesus,
The CAT cam likes to be wrapped tight. Go to the Acherytalk.com forum and search for CAT cam tuning. there is a thread there that explains details and has pictures that show what it needs to look like as well as the steps you need to do to get it that way. I followed these and got mine nearly perfect.

jesus1
01-13-2010, 03:36 PM
thanks for the info and god bless.