PDA

View Full Version : Cat Cam Modification

bfisher
01-14-2010, 05:15 AM
You know. I was doing some thinking the other day. Sometimes this can be dangerous. Anyway, I was pondering this cam lean issue and looking at my FireCat I was thinking that it would be possible to alter the cabling system. Instead of slaving the cams to each other it would be possible to make a pair of split yoke cables to attach from the inner post and attach the yoke to the opposite limb. Make it more like a pure dual cam, so to speak. Of course it would take longer axles, but that's a minor issue. I've got lots of them in different sizes.

Wonder how this would work? Or might it put too much stress on the limbs? Take a look, guys, and see what you think.

I'm beginning to think I think too much.

Spiker
01-14-2010, 10:37 PM
I've thought about that too. And with just 'thinking' about it and not tearing things apart to experiment - I'm not sure it would work because of the cams not being identical. Then again ...???...

baerman
01-15-2010, 02:26 AM
That's an interesting thought, Mr. Fisher. The single cam bows are not identical at all, and they anchor off of the tip of one limb......You're the bow mechanic....why don't you give it a try. I've shot a lot of dual cams in the past that were not slaved and had very few timing problems.
Take care!
________
strain index (http://strainindex.com)

bfisher
01-15-2010, 07:02 AM
I think Spiker thought it through better than I. The two cams are not the same shape. It's as simple as that. Won't work.

Hoosieroutdoorsman
01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I would call Joel and find out how different they are, after all they do have to hold the same amount of rotation to insure proper nock travel and cam timing, it very well could work, may have to add or subtract a twist or 2 from 1 or the other to sinc properly.

copterdoc
01-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Don't do it!

It will over compress the limbs, and the draw weight will be MUCH higher than it is as a binary system.

The binary track feeds out over an inch of cable, that the "standard" cable track must take up, in order to compress the limbs. That is why the CAT cam's modules are so much bigger than the Nitrous cam's.

The limbs are designed to be compressed about 3" from brace to full draw. If you set up the CAT cams as a dual cam/split yoke, they will compress the limbs over 4" and could cause a catastrophic limb failure!

copterdoc
01-15-2010, 02:51 PM
You would also get less than 50% let-off.

copterdoc
01-15-2010, 03:05 PM
You CAN set up a LH and RH single cam up as a dual cam though....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=615500

The problem with the Vipro cams as a dual system, is that they have so much let-off, synchronization goes out the window, with the slightest amount of heel pressure on the grip.

Spiker
01-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks Copterdoc.
Guess I'll give that up and go look around my other bows and stuff to see what weirdness awaits...

bfisher
01-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Yes, thanks Doc. I knew there was a reason I didn't really want to do this. I guess that's why I'm not an engineer.

scepterman30x
01-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Brother don't cut yourself short...your still one of the more knowledgable ones on here.

bfisher
01-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Yeah well, wouldn't it be nice to have a rack full of limbs, cams, risers, and all the other goodies to play with? I'd build some bows people never even heard of. Now that would really be fun.