PDA

View Full Version : Speed Knocks???

Louis
01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
The 09 firecat that I am shooting has, I guess they are called speed Knocks and the two on the bottom of the string have come off and riped through the heat shrink tubeing. Is this going to mess anything up on my bow? Also should I replace them. Do they realy speed up the bow?

RogerSr
01-18-2010, 04:37 PM
I would either replace them or take the other ones off, and yes they do add a little speed.

brushrat
01-18-2010, 06:00 PM
The 09 firecat that I am shooting has, I guess they are called speed Knocks and the two on the bottom of the string have come off and riped through the heat shrink tubeing. Is this going to mess anything up on my bow? Also should I replace them. Do they realy speed up the bow?

when you remove the old shrink tubing make note of where it was on the string, as placement is critical to best performance.:)

copterdoc
01-18-2010, 06:24 PM
....the two on the bottom of the string have come off and riped through the heat shrink tubeing.....
Hmmmm.....

Dryfire?

RogerSr
01-18-2010, 06:55 PM
when you remove the old shrink tubing make note of where it was on the string, as placement is critical to best performance.:)

I just put new string & cables on my Guardian, the new string didn't come with speed knocks, so i put them as close to the cams as I could, but I re timed the cams on my draw board before I put them on,but these binary cams have to be timed just right if you want it to preform.

copterdoc
01-18-2010, 07:06 PM
I used to use speed nocks, but my chrono showed me that I got just as much speed by using Super Leeches and it made my string twang go away as well.

I don't like the S shaped leeches, they don't last long enough, but the "crossbow" style Super Leeches last a LONG time.

Rockyhud
01-18-2010, 09:49 PM
An interesting thing I read in the past few days came from the Strother Archery website. I came across this while researching speed nocks. I read Strother is using what are called No-Glove Oscillation Reducer as a combo speed nock and string leach. Here's what they say.

"We wanted a product that would double as a speed nock and reduce the string oscillation at the same time. A product that we came across is the No-Glove, it is typically used to wrap your fingers around and pull back the string, on particular bows. In this case, it is used where you usually would see the speed nocks. They add a little speed to the bow, quiet the string, and reduce the oscillation of the string. Not only that, they are easy to set in place, and they look very nice on the string."

So, while I was at Sportsman's Warehouse this past weekend I found they had some there and cheap. These rubber items come in a package containing one longer piece with two curved sections and one shorter piece with one curved section.

I haven't installed these yet but hope to this weekend. If I do and the weather cooperates I'll shoot outside and see how they work. I'll come back with a report if I do.

Spiker
01-19-2010, 07:59 AM
Hmmmm.....

Dryfire?

Hmmmm ????????
Anyway...

I use 'Eliminator buttons' instead of the brass nocksets.
On an '09 Firecat installing 5 E-buttons in place of the stock 'speednocks' resulted in the exact same speed and took all the string noise away.
I dont have any silencers on the string or limbs and my bow is really quiet.

ezbite
01-19-2010, 08:49 AM
An interesting thing I read in the past few days came from the Strother Archery website. I came across this while researching speed nocks. I read Strother is using what are called No-Glove Oscillation Reducer as a combo speed nock and string leach. Here's what they say.

"We wanted a product that would double as a speed nock and reduce the string oscillation at the same time. A product that we came across is the No-Glove, it is typically used to wrap your fingers around and pull back the string, on particular bows. In this case, it is used where you usually would see the speed nocks. They add a little speed to the bow, quiet the string, and reduce the oscillation of the string. Not only that, they are easy to set in place, and they look very nice on the string."

So, while I was at Sportsman's Warehouse this past weekend I found they had some there and cheap. These rubber items come in a package containing one longer piece with two curved sections and one shorter piece with one curved section.

I haven't installed these yet but hope to this weekend. If I do and the weather cooperates I'll shoot outside and see how they work. I'll come back with a report if I do.

just wondering if you can post a photo of this product.

Spiker
01-19-2010, 12:52 PM
The No-Glove...

bfisher
01-19-2010, 06:06 PM
just wondering if you can post a photo of this product.

How long you been shooting? I thought everybody had seen these things. They've been around for at least 40 years. Seriously, nobody uses them much any more except some traditional shooters. And of course those who have found a new use for them with compounds.

Does sound interesting, don't it? Sometimes I'm amazed at some of the ideas archers can come up with.

RogerSr
01-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Hell I used them back in the 1960s before compound bows, when I shot long bows.

Rockyhud
01-19-2010, 08:48 PM
I used to shoot a Ben Pearson 50# recurve WAY back in my youth but never saw or used anything like the no-glove. I didn't even know they existed. I just used a 3-finger glove like most everyone else I knew who shot bows. I just happened on these and was intrigued that Strother was using them as speed nocks/string silencers. It makes some sense as they have a little weight to them and are made of rubber. The hole through them is small enough they won't slip from where you put them. Like people have often said about clothing fashions - if you wait long enough the old stuff comes back into style again. Maybe Strother is onto something new with this old school item. I should know pretty soon. :)

Rockyhud
01-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Over the weekend I had some time to do a little experimentation/tweaking by removing the Martin installed speed nocks and replacing them with no-gloves. I installed the double size units, centering the middle raised section over the same center location of the speed nocks. When I shot the bow outside it seemed to have a little less noise than before - not a lot less but noticeably less. While I don't have a chronograph (yet) to see if there was any actual speed difference there didn't seem to be as the point of impact didn't change from the 20 and 30 yard shooting distances I tried. Once it gets a little warmer and I have more time I'll get to shoot at longer distances to fully confirm whether there is any speed change but judging from the results today I believe Strother has discovered a new use for the no-glove. I give them a thumbs up.

bb11
02-01-2010, 08:37 PM
one use of no gloves is by guys bowfishing with recurves. If anyone here hasent tried it, you should. I have never shot more in a day! its a blast! anyway, sorry to be off point.:D

I just bought a 09 Firecat with CAT 2 cams. Its not set up yet. The string has the speed buttons and its so new I would not replace them yet. But I would love to know how well the no gloves work to silence the string!

BTW thanks for a great post!

RogerSr
02-01-2010, 09:21 PM
I have not used them in years, but just ordered two sets of No Gloves I'm going to see how they work on the string noise, I love trying new things.

Spiker
02-02-2010, 05:55 AM
I used 'eliminator buttons' (5 at each end) in place of the brass speed nocks when I changed out the string on my Firecat. Shoots the same speed as with the brass and the bow is much quieter. No other silencing products on the limbs or string...