PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a 2009 Warthog...

loesshillshawkeye
01-21-2010, 11:20 AM
It is New in the Box. I have tentatively put a down payment on it. Hoping for some feedback on the bow and if I am going to like it....:D I have a 29.5 inch draw length. Currently have been shooting my 1990 fully restored Oneida Aero-force x-80. It just got too heavy for me at full draw. I was wondering if I get her cranked up to 65 to 70 dw....what folks would recommend for an arrow for her. I like the full metal jacket easton arrow...I have been shooting a 4 blade stinger. Any help would be appreciated. Any suggestions on sight and rest would also be appreciated. Thinking of a one pin sight...I hunt whitetails in Iowa....shooting distances never over 40 yards. Thanks I so look forward to getting the bow.

Brem
01-21-2010, 12:19 PM
I wanted a warthog but got the firecat(couldnt find one close for a good price) they are around $500 right now with '10 models at about $700. The adjusted IBO for you being 29.5"@65(350gr arrow) would be 335fps and at 70# 345. I figure that FMJ for 65# would need to be a 340 spine(roughly 470gr) and for 70# a 300 spine will be around 500 gr with a 100gr head. very heavy. Speed is going to be in the low 290s at 65 and 70# as well. I would suggest a lighter gr/in arrow that is a 340 or 300 spine. If you like Easton, a 340 spine Easton Flatline at 65#(around 385gr) would yield near 320fps and the 300 spine powerflight(around 430gr) would be around 315fps at 70#. Both would have more than enough KE for anything that walks.

baerman
01-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Hey Brother,
I have a 2009 WartHog.....so far it's been fantastic. I just bought a new rest for it today.....a Drop Zone.....hope it works as well as the TimberDoodle that I've had on it. Speed is great.....accuracy is great.....it's quiet...it's FAST.....I don't know what there is not to love. I did have a little trouble adjusting the STS, but now it's squared away. Good luck with your new bow!
________
Harley-Davidson Model JDH (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Model_JDH)

DB_43725
01-21-2010, 06:42 PM
I own a 2009 warthog and its a nice bow,,,but dont expect super speed outa of it,,not going to happen. IBO says 350,, maybe in a perfect world,, real world about 330,, depends how much you attach to the string. Mine is only a 50-60 lb bow but at 60lbs with a 300 gr arrow and a drawl length of 31 inches and cams tuned to max,,, nothing on the string but the D-Loop and a short one,,, is 329fps. I am using a ripcord rest and I really like it works super.
Thing is I can drop it down to 50lbs and lighter arrows and it shoots about the same speed... Makes shooting a little more enjoyable for me as age has taken its toll,,,LOL I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to get it over 330fps and nothing has helped it ,,except a lighter arrow but im not going under the 5 grs per pound IBO, dont want to cause damage to the bow. I also have been playing with my PSE X force,,, And it is a 60-70lb bow it also shoots about the same speed at 70lbs with a heaver arrow as it does at 60 with a lighter arrow...But just remember one thing using heaver arrows is not all bad as they will retain more speed and engery down range vs the lighter shafts.
Hope this helps,, just my finding with this box and im no expert. :eek:

copterdoc
01-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I own a 2009 warthog and its a nice bow,,,but dont expect super speed outa of it,,not going to happen. IBO says 350,, maybe in a perfect world,, real world about 330,, depends how much you attach to the string. Mine is only a 50-60 lb bow but at 60lbs with a 300 gr arrow and a drawl length of 31 inches and cams tuned to max,,, nothing on the string but the D-Loop and a short one,,, is 329fps. I am using a ripcord rest and I really like it works super.
Thing is I can drop it down to 50lbs and lighter arrows and it shoots about the same speed... Makes shooting a little more enjoyable for me as age has taken its toll,,,LOL I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to get it over 330fps and nothing has helped it ,,except a lighter arrow but im not going under the 5 grs per pound IBO, dont want to cause damage to the bow. I also have been playing with my PSE X force,,, And it is a 60-70lb bow it also shoots about the same speed at 70lbs with a heaver arrow as it does at 60 with a lighter arrow...But just remember one thing using heaver arrows is not all bad as they will retain more speed and engery down range vs the lighter shafts.
I am just curious. Have you tried removing the STS?

Brem
01-21-2010, 07:07 PM
copterdoc,
what would that accomplish?

DB_43725
01-21-2010, 08:34 PM
No,,but its away from the string,,,,,, I can try that later tommorow ,,because my lighter points should be in and I want to check it at 50lbs with a 250 gr arrow.

Oregonhunter78
01-22-2010, 01:25 AM
I have 2 warthogs. Great bow. Best bow i ever had. I dont care much about the speed, i just like the way they shoot. I have shot alot of different brand bows and the warthogs just seem to fit me perfect. Also, Martins customer service is awsome.

DB_43725
01-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Ok set the warthog down to 50 lbs and with a 258 gr arrow advaraged 317.5 fps down from 60 lbs and a 300 gr arrow at 328fps. So this bow seems to loose some efficency when set to lower poundages. But arrows few really well just like darts and bow was much more enjoyable to shoot at least for me it was ,,lol Only draw back I have with this bow is the draw length I have to fit the bow instead of the bow fitting me ,, I really need another inch of draw length but that not going to happen because its maxed out to 31 inches,, The x force is 32 in draw and fits much more confortable but poundage is to high,, but I think im going to order other limbs for it and see if that helps,as It dont even come close to the smooth draw of the warthog.

steelhauler34
06-26-2010, 09:20 AM

330 at ibo arrow with 60 is pretty good. just because IBO at 70lb says 350 you will not get same results with an ibo arrow at 60 lbs.....60 lbs wont overcome friction as efficiently.

Destroyer
06-26-2010, 11:50 PM
IBO says 350,, maybe in a perfect world

Agree, in a perfect world where manufactures are honest and we don't penalize them for doing so. Very rare for any bow to reach there quoted IBO speed. All manufacturers do it. Don't think any of them understate FPS.

330 at ibo arrow with 60 is pretty good. just because IBO at 70lb says 350 you will not get same results with an ibo arrow at 60 lbs.....60 lbs wont overcome friction as efficiently.

Agree totally. Plus 70lbs bow shot at 60lbs will sometimes be faster than a 60lbs bow that is shot at peak weight.