PDA

View Full Version : need help with noisy Bengal

aldar
01-23-2010, 05:10 AM
got my '09 Bengal set up with a QAD rest, a tied in nock and a loop. when I shoot it, it has a real loud twang and thump. I've repostioned the sts several times, even took it off. I added string leeches and shot without them. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the string as all other add ons are solid. I've checked all the screws and have them as tight as I can get them. this bow is very accurate, but just too loud.

Brem
01-23-2010, 07:22 AM
light arrows maybe? sts may be the cause. the shaft on my firecat is too short for the position i have it in so i stuck some wading in and flattened the spot where the screw seats on it so vibration wouldnt turn it as it loosened. then a little lock tite and it was much quieter.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-23-2010, 08:36 AM
got my '09 Bengal set up with a QAD rest, a tied in nock and a loop. when I shoot it, it has a real loud twang and thump. I've repostioned the sts several times, even took it off. I added string leeches and shot without them. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the string as all other add ons are solid. I've checked all the screws and have them as tight as I can get them. this bow is very accurate, but just too loud.

My Dad's 07 Bengal was extremely loud as well. He moved his custom STS close
to the bottom cam, and took the string silencers off, and that seemed to solve the problem. He discovered that the more weight on the string, the noisier the bow was. Here are pics of his bow.:)

aldar
01-23-2010, 09:28 AM
I've shot both the new lighter arrows, and my old heavier ones and theres no real difference. i even bought a sims cable bar silencer and put it on the sts.

brushrat
01-23-2010, 09:54 AM

heres what you need to do. Get a pack of those cheap bear whiskers . Take a whole pc. and wrap it with an overhand knot to your string. Then slide them out to about 4 inches in from the cam(seperating all whiskers). Do the same for the idler. If it is string related.... this will stop it! If you do not like them, simply untie them and your out $2.99. I tryed numerous little rubber "GADGETS" in my string that did not help at all, or very little. Do not worry about the weight on your string. Your arrows will impact exactly the same spot as it did before.;):)

aldar
01-24-2010, 04:49 AM
i did some searching here and now think that the bow might be out of tune. I made some measurements and found the ATA to be pretty close, but the brace height is way off. would that make the bow real loud?

bfisher
01-24-2010, 12:18 PM
I was going to mention that cam timing could be off, which would cause more vibration and thus, more noise. Does the bow seem to have some felt vibration when shot? There should be little to none.

aldar
01-24-2010, 01:21 PM
yes there is some vibration. I'm using a X coil stabilizer but can feel vibration for a second or two after a shot

bfisher
01-24-2010, 02:45 PM
OK, we got this far. You can obviously take pictures so now take a couple of the cam and showing a little of the bottom limb. Don't get so close that everything is blurry.

Need a picture of each side of the cam and one from the back, but slightly angled so we can see the string groove and just where the string is leaving the cam.

Also I need you to post the serial nimber of the bow located on the limb sticker. Reason I say this is you are saying this is a 2009 Bengal, but looking at the cam doesn't prove out. 2008-2009 bows would have a black cam that has M2Pro in the side and have a slot for a draw stop machined into the cam. This cam is from a 2007 model.

aldar
01-25-2010, 05:06 AM
serial number is #0913xxxx. here are some pics of the cam

bfisher
01-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Oooops, I'm really being brain dead on this. The pics were from another member. Your's is an '09 so disregard my previous post.

To me it looks like your cam is under rotated. There should only be about 3/8" to 1/2" of groove showing where the string comes off the cam. You can correct this by adding twists to the cable and/or taking twists out of the string. While doing so your going to notice a change in the brace height and slight shortening of the A2A measurement. The draw length will get longer and the weight will increase.

You can easily decrease the weight by backing out the limb bolts. You can correct the draw length to a degree by changing to the F5 module. When you get the cam oriented then measure the A2A and brace height again. If you have to readjust then pay more attention to brace height than A2A. Although these measurements don't have to be exact they should be close.

I'm not guaranteeing that this will solve the problem, but getting back to basic specs should help and give us a base line to start with.

And for anybody else reading, if you have any additional info then please chime in.

aldar
01-25-2010, 11:17 AM
I put about 8 twists into the cable, and took 2 out of the string. how do these look? I did shoot a couple in the garage. there is still some vibration, but I cant really tell on the noise. It does seem quieter, but I cant shoot outside today

aldar
01-27-2010, 07:11 AM
how is the cam orientation now?