PDA

View Full Version : Sandsquid Strings

Montalaar
01-23-2010, 05:53 AM
Hey Mr Sandsquid! ;)

i am not sure if you had no time to answer my question yet but... I hope you will:

I orderd 1/2 lb of BCY452x yesterday because the information that you make your own strings animated me to do so. I know how to do all the stuff, have my one string jig and some experience with recurve strings. The only question is how to prestretch the string to make sure there is no peep rotation? I would be glad if you could share some of your knowledge!

bfisher
01-24-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm sure Johm will answer you sooner or later. I just wanted to say to tie one end to your house and the other end to the hitch on your truck and start pulling. 4WD won't be necessary.

OK, I'll go away quietly now. LOL.

Montalaar
01-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Don't laugh but i thought about something like that. I could tie the string to my window and thourgh the other end with a block of solid metal out of the window... :D

RogerSr
01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
they sell string stretchers that go on a string jig, they have a hook and a spring on a bracket that pulls the string tight, they come in different spring weights.

Spiker
01-25-2010, 06:19 AM
Screw a hook into a ceiling joist about 6" out from the wall and mount a cheap winch (just like for a drawboard) below it at the bottom of the wall - then put one end loop of a string or cable on the hook - hang a scale on the other end - and attach the winch line to the scale. Then you crank the winch, watch the scale and put whatever amount of tension on the string you want.

RogerSr
01-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Screw a hook into a ceiling joist about 6" out from the wall and mount a cheap winch (just like for a drawboard) below it at the bottom of the wall - then put one end loop of a string or cable on the hook - hang a scale on the other end - and attach the winch line to the scale. Then you crank the winch, watch the scale and put whatever amount of tension on the string you want.

it will be hard to serve it under tension this way.

Spiker
01-25-2010, 08:05 AM
it will be hard to serve it under tension this way.

Why is that?
I used that setup a long time. Now I built basically a long-thin 'draw board' just for strings that works just the same, but isn't attached to my house.

SandSquid
01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Making strings is easy... Any goober with a spool of string material and some serving, a 2x4 and some nails can make a shootable string
Making good strings takes time, skills, and equipment.

Everything you need to know about string making you can learn

here: http://www.archerylive.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1921
and here: http://www.applearchery.com/shop/basic_string_making_dvd.php

SandSquid
01-25-2010, 12:08 PM
The basics for making a GOOD string are, laying out the bundle w/ fairly even stand tension and tying off. Then you need to put the bundle under tension. This is NOT "stretching" this is evenening out the tension in the various bundles. Now serve the loop ends while under tension. This "locks" the various strands in and equal tension so you don't get ballooning of strands... Now you can close your loops. Some people close the loops and serve and then twist, some donít, I do! Basically set your jig posts inline, apply about 200# of tension and twist your bundle, then burnish and serve the ends. Finally serve the center and you are done. This is a very basic overview of the process... I can go MUCH more in-depth if you wish.

Montalaar
01-25-2010, 12:48 PM
The basics for making a GOOD string are, laying out the bundle w/ fairly even stand tension and tying off. Then you need to put the bundle under tension. This is NOT "stretching" this is evenening out the tension in the various bundles. Now serve the loop ends while under tension. This "locks" the various strands in and equal tension so you don't get ballooning of strands... Now you can close your loops. Some people close the loops and serve and then twist, some donít, I do! Basically set your jig posts inline, apply about 200# of tension and twist your bundle, then burnish and serve the ends. Finally serve the center and you are done. This is a very basic overview of the process... I can go MUCH more in-depth if you wish.

Okay. Thank you so far.
Just one detailed question. How do you apply the 200# of tension? If i would try to apply that lot of tension to the string i fear that the jig posts would bend?

Spiker
01-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Making strings is easy... Any goober with a spool of string material and some serving, a 2x4 and some nails can make a shootable string
Making good strings takes time, skills, and equipment.

Everything you need to know about string making you can learn

here: http://www.archerylive.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1921
and here: http://www.applearchery.com/shop/basic_string_making_dvd.php

I dont make strings - I leave that up to you guys that do know what your doing. But I do use my "tensioner" to hold strings tight to re-serve them if I need to.

Spiker
01-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Sorry - I should have re-read Simon's OP. I thought he was just talking about how to apply some tension if he were to re-serve a string. My 'string board' is obviously not the way to build a string. I haven't and wouldn't try to make a string on it. It does however work very well to check the length of strings and to hold them tight to re-serve them.

Montalaar
01-25-2010, 03:15 PM
After taking a look at GRIVs string jig i will have to consider to get a new one. That is the jig that i always looked for... Beside the price of 550$. Well... looks like i will have to find out how to build something like that myself.