PDA

View Full Version : Which one?

txcookie
01-24-2010, 06:08 AM
I cant decide on wich martin to get. I have to order online do too my location however I have shot a couple of martins 08 Firecat FireHawk and an Alien. Like them all and alot. I am looking for a fast rig for hunting at lower wts. What are your opinions?

the poll is what I am really looking at.

Spiker
01-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Whats your DL?

txcookie
01-24-2010, 07:49 PM
29dl

I am looking reall hard at the wart hog just cuz of the ibo speed and what I have read about its accuracy? Would like as much input as I can get.

Rockyhud
01-25-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm a little biased, owning an 08 Firecat, but I think the Firecat TR2 would be my choice for hunting. I like the overall package of light weight, relatively small package, speed and accuracy my Firecat provides and mine doesn't have the benefits of the CAT-2 cams, new 5-layer limbs and improved limb cups the 2010 Firecat TR2 has. The Alien with Hybrix cams would be my other choice if you're willing to spend a little more money. These will give you more than adequate speeds at lower draw weight so they will be pleasant to shoot and still take game with authority.

txcookie
01-25-2010, 06:54 PM
awesome post there rocky and great points!!! I am just not diggin the alien as much as the Hog or kitty

JT38off
01-25-2010, 06:56 PM
im a fan of single cams so the tr1 is a good choice imo for speed and simpicity!

wisecane
01-26-2010, 04:18 AM
I own a Warthog, have shot a Bengal. I wouldn't trade my Warthog for anything. The extra ATA and mass make it hold better for me than the shorter bows. And with my 28" DL the speed is nice too.

fxdwgkd
01-26-2010, 06:40 AM
I can't really speak for any of the ones in the poll. However I can tell you I recently got a Firehawk and really like it. It is pretty fast and suprisingly quiet. The only con to my set up is with the short ata the sting is at an angle that I hve not been able to get my peep to line up properly. If I were to purchase another it would be the Firecat.

bfisher
01-26-2010, 07:45 AM
If I were so blessed as to have a 29" draw length my choice for a 2010 Martin would have been easy as pie. It would be a ShadowCat. Not the fastest of the bunch, but a fairly straight riser and 41+ A2A would make for a pretty forgiving bow. And if my 2004 Slayr can be used for comparison I would think speeds of around 320 would be possible. My Slayr was getting 299 fps at 27" draw and 53#, IBO rated at 325 fps.

alex
01-26-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm with Bfisher, but my problem ain't about the DL but monetary and concerning our lousy dealers :D

ezbite
01-26-2010, 11:51 AM
I loooooove my kitty, but also love my alien. got a friend who loves her warthog, i just picked up a new 09 cheeta for bowfishing. i dont think ive been any help to you because i just love all martin bows.lol:D

Spiker
01-26-2010, 01:01 PM
I cant decide on wich martin to get. I have to order online do too my location however I have shot a couple of martins 08 Firecat FireHawk and an Alien. Like them all and alot. I am looking for a fast rig for hunting at lower wts. What are your opinions?

the poll is what I am really looking at.

If you are an old bastage like most of us - I would tell you to buy the Firecat.
If you want a bow that shoots great and you can just hang on the wall in the off season - I would get the Pantera.
J my 2cts....

doczerothree@gmail.com
01-26-2010, 05:03 PM
I looked at a few and decided on a Saber.
________
marijuana vaporizer (http://weedvaporizers.org)

txcookie
01-27-2010, 02:32 AM
If you are an old bastage like most of us - I would tell you to buy the Firecat.
If you want a bow that shoots great and you can just hang on the wall in the off season - I would get the Pantera.
J my 2cts....

Well I am 29 yrs of age and in the military so fitness is not much of an issue I have however blown a shoulder in the past SO I shoot girly wts to ensure I can still shoot when I am an older Hunter!

This bow will be my first higher end buy ever and I shoot alot all yr when I aint in the middle of some deployment.

bfisher
01-27-2010, 05:23 AM
Well I am 29 yrs of age and in the military so fitness is not much of an issue I have however blown a shoulder in the past SO I shoot girly wts to ensure I can still shoot when I am an older Hunter!

This bow will be my first higher end buy ever and I shoot alot all yr when I aint in the middle of some deployment.

I notice your post count and see you're relatively new here. Welcome to the forums.

I also must comment that your choice to shoot a lwer weight and consider longevity is a good one. I have found that out the hard way.

As an older member of the USA I must also express my deepest appreciation for your participation in the military to ensure my way of life. Thankyou.

txcookie
01-28-2010, 01:39 AM
I notice your post count and see you're relatively new here. Welcome to the forums.

I also must comment that your choice to shoot a lwer weight and consider longevity is a good one. I have found that out the hard way.

As an older member of the USA I must also express my deepest appreciation for your participation in the military to ensure my way of life. Thankyou.

Well the pleasure is mine as far as serving the people of the USA. I am some what of an AT Junky but have been lurking around this forum a bit! I am really excited about getting me a new rig and am looking forward to letting that first arrow fly when I get back this march. This poll reflects exactly how I am feeling as well. more than likely I will be killing deer and 3d targets with that TR2 as I feel it will be the right mix of power and ease on the shoulder.

Montalaar
01-28-2010, 02:12 AM
I voted for the Firecat.

The Warthog is a great and i know what i am talking about because i owned one for some time. Considering you are somewhat shorter than me you could achieve great success with this bow. But as the Firecat is a tad shorter than the Warthog it might also suit you. The big difference is the pricetag on the bows and the ibo speed.

depending on what you are planning to do...

For hunting the Firecat might be a good bow.
For 3D and field the Warthog might be a tad better.
For FITA the Shadowcat might be the way to go.

In the end it all depends on your personal reference and what you like the best.

whman
02-05-2010, 09:12 AM
I own both the Bengal and the WartHog (09 model). So far the Wart Hog would be my choice......for the longer ATA and the speed. It also seems to be at least the accuracy equal of anything out there.

bfisher
02-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Now that I've seen and handled the three Alien bows, I'd have to say for an all-round critter my choice would be the "Z". In fact that's what I have on order right now.

It's 36" A2A puts it in the middle of the group and the riser isn't as reflexed as the shorter bows. Just my cup of tea. The only draw back might be the low brace height at 6.5", but being s shorter fellow I should be able to handle it. Besides, I've had bows with as short a brace as 5 3/4" and shot well. The "Z" has an IBO speed of 330 fps, in case nobody knows.

I see nobody has mentioned anything about string angle at full draw. For somebody with a longer draw this can be a major consideration, especially if wanting to use the "nose on the string" as an anchor reference. Longer bows make this easier without having to tilt the head into the string. Also, how far the peep is from the eye makes a difference, especially for hunting. Again, a little more length helps this.

I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned the Scepter. Longer length, straighter riser. Might be a very forgiving bow. I know the Scepter has had a very good reputation as a superb target bow, albeit at 43" long and different cams. How it would fare with the Cat cams is another matter.

Get's confusing, wouldn't you say?

bb11
02-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Tx Cookie: I am relatively new here as well. I am a new 2009 firecat owner. First, thx much for your service in defending this great country and our way of life.

Second I looked at the Aleins but went with a kitty do to difference in price, the 7" bace height making it more foregiving and the CAT2 cams for speed. Also its lenght is a little shorter than my previous MQ1 which is good for ground blinds, tree stands as well as long days hiking for elk..... but not too short to sacrifice some forgiveness. In the end I thought it was a good blend of tradeoffs. But its all up to what you are looking for and what is important for you.

I am nursing a rotator cuff injury right now and cant even draw my bow back right now. I am looking at the ripshot device. If you have a shoulder injury you may want to check it out. lots of discussussion on archerytalk.com.

Chees and be oGdspped getting home!

AlienX
02-07-2010, 01:55 PM
ALIEN X great shooting bow

copterdoc
02-07-2010, 01:55 PM
If I were going to buy a new Martin/Rytera, it would be the Nemesis.

It has the strongest riser and is the only Martin/Rytera bow with truly parallel limbs.

bfisher
02-07-2010, 04:41 PM
If I were going to buy a new Martin/Rytera, it would be the Nemesis.

It has the strongest riser and is the only Martin/Rytera bow with truly parallel limbs.

Well, you should be able to ask Spiker about the Nemisis. He just got his home from the shop. I'd expect a review within a day or two.

copterdoc
02-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Well, you should be able to ask Spiker about the Nemisis. He just got his home from the shop. I'd expect a review within a day or two.
I did say "if".

I am absolutely in love with the X-cam. It is the only cam system, that solves lateral nock travel and cam lean.

If I did buy a Nemesis, I would be putting NOS-X cams on it!

XSpot
02-08-2010, 08:31 PM
I bought this bow for hunting and I have a 28.5 draw and it draws 70lbs with a 410 grain arrow it is shootting 310 fps on my cron . It shoots better than I do its a real forgiving bow. Its that 7 in brace height . Try to shoot a few before you decide.