PDA

View Full Version : Silencing X-cables

C Bailey
01-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks to Copterdoc for selling me a LH riser and getting a pile of parts (limbs, cams, mods, strings, axles, etc.) from a guy on AT, I just put together a Rytera Bullet X with Nitrous C cams and X-system. The parts came with both long and short axles so I put the long axles on bottom and the short axles on top to give some space between the cables. I have read that as a trick to reduce wear from the cables touching. However, I think this results in the cables being spaced just perfectly, about 1/8" apart, to vibrate like nuts.

My question to you shoot-through experts is if my problem is common and what I can do about it? I served some felt onto the outside cable at the point of intersection and it seems to work but looks a little trashy and defeats the purpose of preventing the cables from touching. I looked at the Simms Cable Leeches and thought those may work to reduce the vibration of the individual cables. I also thought that maybe it would be better to just allow the cables to touch and just serve the intersection to prevent wear? The two cables being apart, but so close together, really emphasizes the noise.

I would appreciate any advice you can provide. Thanks.

scepterman30x
01-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks to Copterdoc for selling me a LH riser and getting a pile of parts (limbs, cams, mods, strings, axles, etc.) from a guy on AT, I just put together a Rytera Bullet X with Nitrous C cams and X-system. The parts came with both long and short axles so I put the long axles on bottom and the short axles on top to give some space between the cables. I have read that as a trick to reduce wear from the cables touching. However, I think this results in the cables being spaced just perfectly, about 1/8" apart, to vibrate like nuts.

My question to you shoot-through experts is if my problem is common and what I can do about it? I served some felt onto the outside cable at the point of intersection and it seems to work but looks a little trashy and defeats the purpose of preventing the cables from touching. I looked at the Simms Cable Leeches and thought those may work to reduce the vibration of the individual cables. I also thought that maybe it would be better to just allow the cables to touch and just serve the intersection to prevent wear? The two cables being apart, but so close together, really emphasizes the noise.

I would appreciate any advice you can provide. Thanks.

Some folks emphasize them not touching to eliminate wear. However let me say...I do a lot of shooting and I mean a lot and as long as you keep the cables waxed you should hardly notice any wear where they meet (because of them rubbing) or no more than what you would get from a cable slide (wear from fletching contact is another story). From my experience they will need to be replaced because of normal day to day use before needing to be replaced because of wear at these points.

C Bailey
01-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks. I swapped the axles so that both are long axles. The cables definitely rub but the vibration is gone. I'll keep an eye on it, but I suspect you are correct that it isn't much worse than rubbing inside a cable slide. I have only just pulled off a few shots in the basement, but it is a huge difference.

Thanks

copterdoc
01-28-2010, 01:06 PM
I tried all sorts of axle and spacer combinations, before I decided that letting them touch and keeping a lot of wax accumulation at the intersection, is the best way to go.

RogerSr
01-30-2010, 07:41 PM
I tried all sorts of axle and spacer combinations, before I decided that letting them touch and keeping a lot of wax accumulation at the intersection, is the best way to go.

I have also tried one long and one short axle, and two long axles, I have found that two long axles are quieter but for some of my target bows I don't care, and as for wear I don't think it is all that much just keep them waxed.