PDA

View Full Version : Firecat TR1 and Pantera

g1huntn
01-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Does anyone know what the difference is between these two bows? Specs are almost identical and they look very similiar. Thanks.

Patrick

Spiker
01-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Pantera will be $100 (or more) less than the Fircat.
I shot a new Pantera a couple days ago and was really impressed with it.

JohnnyThunder
01-27-2010, 04:59 PM
how will the Pantera be less than the TR1 when the Pantera has things as standard equipment that are upgrades on the TR1 ?

Spiker
01-28-2010, 04:54 AM
how will the Pantera be less than the TR1 when the Pantera has things as standard equipment that are upgrades on the TR1 ?

I did a quick internet search for shops that are selling both models and the places that I found have the Pantera marked for less than a TR-1.
TR-1 is also a Pro series while the Pantera is in the Gold series.

g1huntn
01-28-2010, 05:39 AM
I understand that the TR1 is a Pro and the Pantera is a Gold, but what does that mean? Is there a difference in the quality of the hardware, limbs other components or technology. I guess what I am trying to find out is if there is enough difference in the two , quality or performance, to justify the additional cost of the TR1 over the Pantera. Thanks.

Montalaar
01-28-2010, 06:08 AM
The Pantera can be sold via all archery shops. The Firecat can only be sold via Martin Archery Pro Series Dealers.

Furthermore the Pantera has stock strings on it while the Firecat has the more advanced StoneMountain/Dakota strings.

C Bailey
01-28-2010, 10:46 AM
I thought they were both about 499 MSRP? You may me able to get the Pantera cheaper because lower margin box stores can carry them at prices that undercut your local pro shop.

g1huntn
02-02-2010, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I will try to find a shop that has both, so I can shoot and compare. If the only difference is the string, then cost will be a big deciding factor. I notice a number of people on here talking about ordering the Pantera already, so I guess it has something going for it.

JJHACK
02-03-2010, 07:52 AM
My "go to" bow for hunting is my Mathews Switchback XT. I am a Professional Hunter in South Africa. I needed a bow to take and leave in South Africa for my hunting there. I did not want to take my archery kit back and forth each year.

I searched for quite a while to find something I liked that was similar to the Switchback as it is the best bow I've ever used. When I shot the Moab from Martin I thought I had found the bow that was identical to the SBXT and wanted to buy one. That was 2009. No more Moabs in 2010. But the Firecat TR1 was the functional replacement.

I picked up my Firecat last week. Within a couple dozen sight in arrows I was grouping with arrows touching at 20 meters. The draw is as near identical to the SBXT as I have ever felt it is a bit lighter, and it is very smooth and has a perfect solid wall.

I can pick up either bow and shoot without any difference in Accuracy or "feel" The only difference that I must sort out is the quiver noise. The SBXT quiver by Mathews has no sound at all on the bow. The Martin Quiver is causing some noise. I am not sure why the vibration is there yet but I'll figure that out.

My struggle now is in deciding which to bring to hunting camp in RSA. I really like the Firecat TR1 and the SBXT now. My Firecat was made in all black with carbon fiber limbs. It's a nice looking and excellebnt shooting bow.

bfisher
02-03-2010, 08:02 AM
My "go to" bow for hunting is my Mathews Switchback XT. I am a Professional Hunter in South Africa. I needed a bow to take and leave in South Africa for my hunting there. I did not want to take my archery kit back and forth each year.

I searched for quite a while to find something I liked that was similar to the Switchback as it is the best bow I've ever used. When I shot the Moab from Martin I thought I had found the bow that was identical to the SBXT and wanted to buy one. That was 2009. No more Moabs in 2010. But the Firecat TR1 was the functional replacement.

I picked up my Firecat last week. Within a couple dozen sight in arrows I was grouping with arrows touching at 20 meters. The draw is as near identical to the SBXT as I have ever felt it is a bit lighter, and it is very smooth and has a perfect solid wall.

I can pick up either bow and shoot without any difference in Accuracy or "feel" The only difference that I must sort out is the quiver noise. The SBXT quiver by Mathews has no sound at all on the bow. The Martin Quiver is causing some noise. I am not sure why the vibration is there yet but I'll figure that out.

My struggle now is in deciding which to bring to hunting camp in RSA. I really like the Firecat TR1 and the SBXT now. My Firecat was made in all black with carbon fiber limbs. It's a nice looking and excellebnt shooting bow.

Hey, JJHACK, welcome to the forums. Thanks for the nice comparison review. Hope the bow works out well for you.

g1huntn
02-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Well. Now i'm really confused. I always assumed that because the TR1 was a Pro Series bow, it would be the more expensive of the two. Guess I was wrong. Just looked at the online catalog and the Pantera is $60 more. I guess it goes back to my original question. Does anyone know of any real differences between the two? Has anyone had the chance to shoot both back to back and if so, any difference? I guess it just seems odd to me that the two bows are so close in appearance and performance specs. Hopefully the Martin Dealer nearest to me will have both soon so I can compare in person. I still want to try the TR2 also. Never owned a dual cam, though.

Spiker
02-13-2010, 07:49 AM
I am kind of shocked at the price too. I suppose it is because the Pantera riser costs more to machine. It is alot like the Alien X riser.
I shot the Pantera and the TR-1 back to back and I have to say that the Pantera held better and was a bit quieter.

C Bailey
02-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I saw that too. I wasn't really surprised at the Pantera cost, but couldn't believe the Firecat was less than $500. It makes no sense to me to have two nearly identical bows with the Pro Series bow being the cheaper of the two. Something must be a bit more expensive to build on the Pantera, as I can't imagine the net difference of $60 after you add the cloaked parts and subtract the cheaper strings. It would be nice to hear from a Martin person what the logic is here. I think $550 is still a good deal for the kind of bow the Pantera seems to be, but it is just a bit odd.

JohnnyThunder
02-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Well. Now i'm really confused. I always assumed that because the TR1 was a Pro Series bow, it would be the more expensive of the two. Guess I was wrong. Just looked at the online catalog and the Pantera is $60 more. I guess it goes back to my original question. Does anyone know of any real differences between the two? Has anyone had the chance to shoot both back to back and if so, any difference? I guess it just seems odd to me that the two bows are so close in appearance and performance specs. Hopefully the Martin Dealer nearest to me will have both soon so I can compare in person. I still want to try the TR2 also. Never owned a dual cam, though.

well yeah the Pantera comes standard with stuff thats an upgrade on the Firecat

haven't had a chance to shoot a Pantera though

g1huntn
02-14-2010, 06:43 PM
I was guessing the riser was the difference too. Maybe because it is new and the Firecat risers are not? Plus the TR1 and TR2 share the same riser, I believe.
Spiker, thanks for the comparison. Hopefully I will find a pro shop with both.