PDA

View Full Version : Noise levels

Sagittarius
01-31-2010, 01:42 PM
I took my 09 Bengal and a noise level meter and logged some info that some of you might be interested in??? My bow has a stock STS, CCS and X string leeches. I shot my arrows W/ 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, 3" AAE Plastifletch Elites, 4" Easton vanes and stock 4" vanes on my Blackhawk Vapor Pros.

What I came up with is the 2" blazers were the loadest by a min. 2.7dB over the 3" & 5.4dB over the 4" eastons W/ the leeches and the string just off the STS
The 4" eastons were the quietest W/ the string leeches but only by .7dB on the 3" AAE's WO/ the leeches which IMO the difference picked up in speed would be more beneficial then the noise difference
The noise level WO/ the string leeches was less by an average of about 2dB
on the 2" & 3" vanes and loader by an average of about .9dB ???? Go figure??
So IMO I'm going to use the 3" AAE vanes WO/ the leeches for the speed and noise level dif and the also seem to be more accurate W/ my BHs

I also shot the arrows W/ the string @ 1/16" away from the STS and 1/8" away and the string being just off the STS was the quietest by about 1dB

I hope this might be beneficial to someone other then me if not OH WELL!!!
here it is anyway.....

bfisher
01-31-2010, 06:13 PM
I took my 09 Bengal and a noise level meter and logged some info that some of you might be interested in??? My bow has a stock STS, CCS and X string leeches. I shot my arrows W/ 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, 3" AAE Plastifletch Elites, 4" Easton vanes and stock 4" vanes on my Blackhawk Vapor Pros.

What I came up with is the 2" blazers were the loadest by a min. 2.7dB over the 3" & 5.4dB over the 4" eastons W/ the leeches and the string just off the STS
The 4" eastons were the quietest W/ the string leeches but only by .7dB on the 3" AAE's WO/ the leeches which IMO the difference picked up in speed would be more beneficial then the noise difference
The noise level WO/ the string leeches was less by an average of about 2dB
on the 2" & 3" vanes and loader by an average of about .9dB ???? Go figure??
So IMO I'm going to use the 3" AAE vanes WO/ the leeches for the speed and noise level dif and the also seem to be more accurate W/ my BHs

I also shot the arrows W/ the string @ 1/16" away from the STS and 1/8" away and the string being just off the STS was the quietest by about 1dB

I hope this might be beneficial to someone other then me if not OH WELL!!!
here it is anyway.....

Nice to know, Sag. And not some "I heard" remark or pure speculation. Nice to have some hard facts. Now when are you going to throw feathers into the mix?

Thanks for what you have posted---so far.

Sagittarius
02-01-2010, 09:52 AM
I'd do that for ya bfish but I don't have any right now, but I may be able to help you and others out there??? I'll try to find the site to download the noise level meter and let you know, so you can DIY .....

RLW
02-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks...I found that interesting.
Had a couple serious bowhunter friends tell me the Blazers were noticeably louder in the field.

Curious.....how much speed difference between 3" AAE w/o leeches and 4" Easton with??
(I use 4" AAE w/cat whiskers on my set-ups.........tried string leeches for a while, but went back to whiskers)

Sagittarius
02-01-2010, 02:47 PM
If your interested, try this site to download a meter on your laptop to use for yourself.... Maybe it will help us all with info to share ???

http://www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/meter.html

bfisher
02-01-2010, 06:40 PM
If your interested, try this site to download a meter on your laptop to use for yourself.... Maybe it will help us all with info to share ???

http://www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/meter.html

Bookmarked the website. Now I have to wait a while. Too many things going on around here.

Thanks.

Sagittarius
02-02-2010, 04:45 AM
Hey RLW I came up with about a .7dB diff the 3" being loader but I wonder how much speed would be picked up ????? I don't have a crono to check...

RLW
02-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Hey RLW I came up with about a .7dB diff the 3" being loader but I wonder how much speed would be picked up ????? I don't have a crono to check...
oh, I got the impression you knew speed difference.

My guess was overall fps differences were small........2, maybe 3 fps gain for vanes using 3" AAE vs 4" Eastons, then leeches might drop a couple fps.
Worse case I expected 4 fps, for which I'd take the lower noise over gain of +/-1% in speed for hunting........now if it were 10-15fps, I'll admit I'd probably go for the speed vs .7db drop in noise.

I haven't checked w/leeches vs w/o leeches on my Bengal, but did on two older Firecats I had.
Don't have the numbers now, but recall it only being less than 1fps to barely over 2fps (slightly less loss w/whiskers), depending mostly on where they were placed on the string. (typically avg 12 shots).

Now I don't even give it much thought, just tie whiskers on approx 3" down from cam/wheel, call it good and move on to tuning.

Sagittarius
02-02-2010, 12:55 PM
RLW not sure how accurate this downloaded meter is but 1dB isn't much...

I dropped a matchstick from 2" on to my coffee table it read 40dB
Broke the matchstick it read 45d
Punching keys on the laptop read 50db
Dropped a needle from 1" to the table top and read 6dB

So what I'm trying to get at is .7dB is not much the 4" eastons were reading
an average of about 57dB at 4' from my laptop. 5fps isn't much but IMO more of a benefit then a .7dB gain ????

RLW
02-02-2010, 01:22 PM
.........5fps isn't much but IMO more of a benefit then a .7dB gain ????
That is true......not enough difference to be heard by anything other than a meter.
Couple hunters thinking they're quietly whispering to each other is many times louder than that.

Sagittarius
02-02-2010, 06:14 PM
I would like to check how much quieter the whiskers are then the leeches ?? Oh well !! I'll try it sometime when I have more time ???

brushrat
02-02-2010, 07:21 PM
I would like to check how much quieter the whiskers are then the leeches ?? Oh well !! I'll try it sometime when I have more time ???

i would like to see how much differance leeches do in the cable....not just in the string:)

Sagittarius
02-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I'll see what I can do brushrat ??? The weather suppose to get worse here over the next few days ??? I hear 2 to 5 inchs which is good cause I do snow removal, but it'll make me real busy ??? So it'll take me even longer to get to that !!! Anyone else got any suggestions????

bfisher
02-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah, how about tests with and without the STS.

brushrat
02-03-2010, 05:44 PM
I'll see what I can do brushrat ??? The weather suppose to get worse here over the next few days ??? I hear 2 to 5 inchs which is good cause I do snow removal, but it'll make me real busy ??? So it'll take me even longer to get to that !!! Anyone else got any suggestions????

Ah, come-on...... do it for the Bengals!:D

Sagittarius
02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Its not just me i've got to have the boy help.. I'm an old man and need glasses to read up that close.. By the time I shoot, put my glasses on and focus on the readout it's gone.... I have to rely on the boy and he's 14 and always has something going on ???? I will get to it ASAP !!!!! Even if i've gotta do it in the snow...

brushrat
02-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Its not just me i've got to have the boy help.. I'm an old man and need glasses to read up that close.. By the time I shoot, put my glasses on and focus on the readout it's gone.... I have to rely on the boy and he's 14 and always has something going on ???? I will get to it ASAP !!!!! Even if i've gotta do it in the snow...

oh no ....don't do it in the inclimate weather. ANY time you can get to it would be just great. I just appreciate the trouble you're going through to do this. ;)

By the way , just for kicks I left the cat whiskers on the string and removed the sts and it ABSOLUTELY makes a differance. The noise was much more of a "boing" than a soft "wuff", if that makes any sense. It didn't take long to put it back on!:)

RogerSr
02-04-2010, 04:04 PM
oh no ....don't do it in the inclimate weather. ANY time you can get to it would be just great. I just appreciate the trouble you're going through to do this. ;)

By the way , just for kicks I left the cat whiskers on the string and removed the sts and it ABSOLUTELY makes a differance. The noise was much more of a "boing" than a soft "wuff", if that makes any sense. :)

You know I've shot a lot of bows in my life, and the quietest bow that I have ever shot is my 08 Bowtech Guardian, and right out of the box new!
the first time I shot it I thought there was something wrong with it at first all I could hear was the arrow hitting the target, the bow was just dead in my hand I could not even hear the string when I shot it, and I still have that bow! and that was without a STS on it, now it has one on it, and man it's quiet.

Sagittarius
02-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Well Gentlemen, I ran some tests and here's a quick breakdown...

best numbers W/ the 3" was the whiskers no STS worst was nothing but the CCS difference was only 1.9dB there was only .8dB diff W/ STS.

The 4" eastons worst was CCS only, best was W/ whiskers and STS W/ whiskers being the same results just diff sound from them a 3.1dB diff from best to worst

The cable bojax made about a 2dB diff in the 3" & 4" eastons I tried them 2 ways and putting them on the front cables made a diff the rear didn't do much

I need to try the cable bojax on the front cables and the whiskers together, the rear cables W/ the whiskers did little

The best set up W/ the 2" was just the whiskers the worst was the whiskers W/ the rear cable jax a diff of 3dB

The 4" Blackhawk Vapor Pros best was the Whiskers alone and the front cable jax alone, the worst was STS W/ the whiskers the diff of 4dB

A little note the whiskers I used were prob not standard amount. I only had about half of what I needed... I ran thru this the best I could for now. We only got 2" of snow. I wasn't to busy to get to this, but I need to shoot more arrows W/ each group to get a better AVG

Sorry I didn't get to the feathers but I don't have any !!!!! Nor do I have any other types of leeches, but if you'd like to send me some I'd be happy to do so!!!!!! I was going to shoot W/out the CCS to give a better baseline but I can't find my old cable rod and slide...

To give you an idea about the noise level the meter read about 73db W/ no noise. The loudest reading I received was 11.1dB the best was 18.5dB. Saying this the keys I was punching I had to barely touch to keep the reading down below 20dB......

brushrat
02-07-2010, 07:43 PM
saggitarious....Good info.

Just so we are thinking the same way regarding your definition of front and rear cables, i concluded the following:

I have a cable guard and my referance to front cable and rear cable would be as they are oriented on my cable slide. On a bengal the rear cable would have the "yoke" in it......correct? Your'e calling the actual string that goes from the idler to the cam the "front cable", is that correct? let me know if i'm NOT interpreting something correctly.

So, it sounds like the "whiskers" are the most effective with a slight benefit from the sts when used together. It doesn't sound like any "silencers" placed in the cable ("rear cable" , by your definition) have any benefit at all.

Is it safe to say then the most effective would be to have "whiskers" on the string, leeches or jacks on the "front cable" (which is actually the back side of the shooting string) and also a STS . thanks:)

Also how far from the cam and idler did you tie on the whiskers?:)

Sagittarius
02-08-2010, 09:36 AM
by the front cables I mean literally the 2 cables on the frnt of the bow. The back being the cables closest to the string. Yes what I came up with is the slipjax on the frnt cables installed to where they just ran up to the cam. The whiskers were set as close as I could get them to the serving for each cam. The STS gave little benefit to cutting down any actual dB limits, but the sound was sharper and crisper then W/out. The twang noise lasted longer!!!!

IMO it is beneficial to have an STS to shorten the noise and to keep the string from hitting the arm and/or sleeve of the shooter.... The STS should be set at optimal distance from the string for less noise. On my bow and the test i've ran it seems to be quieter at approx. 1/16" away....

Hope this helps and clears things up ????

brushrat
02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I already had whiskers on the string and one on the back side of the string. I just moved my sts out to about 1/16" and it did help, it was right up tight against the string. :)

Anyways, hope you got all the snow you were hoping for. :D

Sagittarius
02-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanx Brushrat, yes we got 3" and then couple days later got another 6" so i've been busy !!!! I was wondering does the whiskers slow down the string much more or less then the slipjax ??? Does the STS make any diff on the arrow speed ??? I don't own a crono otherwise i'd do some speed test too....I'm sure the slipjax on the cables won't make any speed change.. I'm just trying to get my bow as effective as possible for hunting...

brushrat
02-10-2010, 08:56 PM
i don't own a chrono either. Iv'e played with all kinds of little rubber "gadgets" and the "whiskers" were always "hands down" the quietest. At 45yds. (as far as i can shoot in my yard) there was never any differance in "up" or "down" on my target between any of them, so i concluded it could'nt make that much differance in fps loss. But the whiskers sure made a differance in sound! I don't even fret the speed anymore, i just want quiet.;):)

Sagittarius
02-12-2010, 06:04 AM
I agree, as long as there's not a huge loss and if you don't get any significant diff at 45yds then that's what i'm using!!! The only sure way to know is get a crono and I don't think the wifes gonna go for that xtra xpense right now...