PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show

bfisher
02-02-2010, 08:06 AM
For anybody that's in the neighborhood, I'll be working at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, Pa next week.

Please forgive me, but my sales rep asked me to help one of his dealers sell 10 Point crossbows. OUCH.

I have no idea of what days or hours I'll be working, as there have been some little emergencies arise with my part-time job (schoolbus driver) so I'm sorely needed there also.

To find me I guess you'll just have to look for the guy with the Martin shirt and hat. I'll try to update with further information as I get it.

Simon and Alex, I don't imagine you'll make it. And "NO" I'm not buyuing any plane tickets. LOL.

bfisher
02-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Guess nobody cares. haha....

ezbite
02-02-2010, 07:13 PM
oh we care, u just didnt say when your gonna be there yet.

brushrat
02-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Guess nobody cares. haha....

its just a little off the beaten path for me. You probably shouldn't expect me:D

RogerSr
02-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Fisher,
I would love to come, but can't think of a way to get there and back without the oldlady knowing i went.

alex
02-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Barry, i'd like to come, but since you won't buy the plane tickets... :D By the way if you'll sell the 10 Point with a Martin shirt won't that make the 10 Point guys a little nervous? I wanted to buy a good crossbow 2 years ago but the prices of the Ten Point here are unimaginable. So i've bought a Barnett QUAD 400 and then took my MOAB and haven't shot a single bolt from the crossbow :(

wildjim
02-03-2010, 05:15 AM
I heard this show is big?

Any deals to be had?

I may try to make it there since I am near in Maryland : )

bfisher
02-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the cmments fellows. I do know that Oregon or California, or even Germany or Bulgaria is quite a haul for you guys. You western guys probably have some sort of show out your way anyway. I'm just putting out the info for anybody that's close enough and never been there.

Be forewarned that there is some cost involved, though. These rascals charge $10 a car to park and it's about $15 to get in. It's a really big show with thousands of vendors from all types of sports--the outdoor type. The archery section is held in the large arena.

The archery club I belong to actually has, for years, set up an indoor 3D shoot at the one end. Targets are set up on the ground and up in the stands (roped off of course for safety). It's a week long affair with different divisions and classes just like other 3D shoots. There are shots as long as 50 yards and there gets to be some stiff competition with the last Sunday being "shoot-off day".

I have never seen what I'd consider any great deals on equipment or such. Just a huge place where you can see almost anything archery related under one roof.

Boats, fishing, camping, outfitters from all over the world, you name it. If you've never been to it it might be worth the trip. I don't go but once every five years or so, although I only live about 10 miles away. It becomes quite redundant to go every year. Only reason I'm going this year is because my sales rep volunteered my time and got me free pass. I believe it starts this Saturday and runs till the following Sunday (feb. 6-14).

Anyway, I'll post up some days and times I'll be there as soon as I find out something solid. If I remember I'll post a pic of my ugly old mug so you know who I am when you run into me. If nobody shows then so be it. We're still friends.

Alex, BARNETT????? Nobody gets a Barnett. There are only two good crossbows on the market. Ten Point and XCaliber. There is a slight money difference though. I won't hold it against you.

bfisher
02-03-2010, 06:26 PM
OK, here's me just so anybody might recognize me at the show.

alex
02-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Now we all know you, Barry :) About the Barnett - i took it for about 650$ and the Ten Point was 1700$ - had no choice. I'd like to get rid of it, but now in this crisis nobody here buys such toys.

bfisher
02-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Alex, a lot of American guys don't know how good we have it. Seems like many Europeans take it on the chin when buying toys. Canadians, too.

Ten Point just came out with a new line this year. Kind of like Mission is to Mathews or Diamond to BowTech. Less bells and whistles with a lower price. Supposedly two crossbows; one for $399 and one for $499 USD. They still have their normal lineup with the Titan being the starter bow at about $600 and the top end being a complete Phantom package at $2500 (ouch). Then there's one called the Defender with recurve limbs that goes for $519 I think.

I just came from seeing my sales rep and it seems I'll be coming and going as I please at the Outdoor Show, floating between 5 different dealer booths. Weaknecht Archery and Weaver are the two big ones. No set schedule so for anybody going to be there just keep an eye out for me. Gonna feel funny wearing Martin shirt and hat and selling Ten Point.

tood s
02-04-2010, 09:14 AM
bfisher i'll be down at the show on Feb 13th looking for some more carbon arrows for my firecat. i wanna try to get close to 300 gr total arrow for 3d this summer... help me out if i can find you...

Todd

bfisher
02-04-2010, 09:32 AM
bfisher i'll be down at the show on Feb 13th looking for some more carbon arrows for my firecat. i wanna try to get close to 300 gr total arrow for 3d this summer... help me out if i can find you...

Todd

Might be able to recommend something right here. What's the bow's draw length and how long do you need the arrows? I assume 60# for 3D. Inserts and field points or target points? Price range?

Can't help you on the 13th. I'm leaving for a tropical island that morning on a scuba diving trip.

alex
02-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Barry, the hit is not in the chin but in another, more painful part of the body (you can guess where ;) ) :D Just to tell you that when i've bought both my bows an crossbows my salary was about 200-220$ :cool:

bfisher
02-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Barry, the hit is not in the chin but in another, more painful part of the body (you can guess where ;) ) :D Just to tell you that when i've bought both my bows an crossbows my salary was about 200-220$ :cool:

Yeah, I got ya bud. Bend over, right?

Hey $200-$220. That's per day, right? Before I retired I was a millwright in a steel mill and making just about $1600 per week. Of course I had to put in the hours. I had a few times where I worked 20 hours on a holiday and made $1000 for the day. I liked those days. Money for new toys.

The last 15 years I worked I averaged 63 hours per week. Funny how I had time to do the yard work and house repairs and still shoot my bows.

tood s
02-05-2010, 12:08 PM
well 63# 28" draw right now im using Cx terminator lights with blazers and 100 gr FP shafts are 27 1/2 so im not sure of the total arrow weight im at right now but im sure i could drop some weight for 3d..... HELP

bfisher
02-05-2010, 01:03 PM
well 63# 28" draw right now im using Cx terminator lights with blazers and 100 gr FP shafts are 27 1/2 so im not sure of the total arrow weight im at right now but im sure i could drop some weight for 3d..... HELP

Which Terminator Lite? 4560 or 6075. Either way it's a heavy arrow for your specs and wanting speed. 4560 comes in at about 385 gr. 6075 would be about 25 grains heavier.

To get the maximum speed and stay within the 5 gr/lb rule you can drop down to 315 gr. Dropping 70 gr would give you about 25 fps more speed. This shouldn't be so hard to do, but you'll have to switch arrows.

You obviously need a 400 spine so finding a lighter shaft is the ticket. If you're stuck on CE then you want to look at the Maxima 250 (7.3 gpi). Go with an 75 gr tip and it'll come in at about 320 gr. Close, but at $130/doz.

Another option is GOld Tip Ultralite 400 (not pro series). Get on their website and click on "Products" then "Build Your Own Arrow". Click on Target, then Entrada 400, 85 gr tips and you end up with an arrow weighing 316 grains. Right in the ballpark. You can get these for about $70/doz.

Also, clean your string. No tube peep. Use just a loop or ties-on nock set and Fletcher True Peep. No string silencers---rubber deer don't jump the string. Shorten the center serving to about 3-4".

Ther might be some other options, but these come to mind real quick.

Hope this helps.

Barry

bfisher
02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
OK, guys, looks like for now I'll be working the Sports show the 6th, 7th,
8th, 10th and 11th. Mostly all day most days. Friday the 12th I'm taking off to pack all my gear for the scuba trip.

I'm looking forward to anybody that may run into me. Chow.

Barry

tood s
02-05-2010, 09:14 PM
i figured i was in the 415 gr area i have the 60/75 great hunting arrow set up and i don't need any silencers on my string for this arrow. I just have a loop and a tubless peep on. im getting 270fps with my current setup whick is nice with 1 pin out to just over 30 yds. i go lighter and i could get the 300 fps i'm looking for just to see what its like to shoot that fast.....!:D

alex
02-06-2010, 03:41 AM
Yeah, I got ya bud. Bend over, right?

Hey $200-$220. That's per day, right? Before I retired I was a millwright in a steel mill and making just about $1600 per week. Of course I had to put in the hours. I had a few times where I worked 20 hours on a holiday and made $1000 for the day. I liked those days. Money for new toys.

The last 15 years I worked I averaged 63 hours per week. Funny how I had time to do the yard work and house repairs and still shoot my bows.

:D 200-220$ per month... Now the average salary here is about 350-400$ and only the people with good connections have well paid jobs. These are the little pleasures of life in a post-communistic state :rolleyes:

wildjim
02-06-2010, 05:58 AM
No show for me this weekend as I am in the Baltimore region of the Arctic Circle : ( Its continues to snow and blow it appears I am in a snowed in cabin somewhere in Alaska : ) Even the windows on the second floor are covered in snow a third of the way up!

bfisher
02-06-2010, 08:24 AM
No show for me this weekend as I am in the Baltimore region of the Arctic Circle : ( Its continues to snow and blow it appears I am in a snowed in cabin somewhere in Alaska : ) Even the windows on the second floor are covered in snow a third of the way up!

After all the BS I've written so far I won't be there Saturday the 6th either. It's already today and there's 1' or more of snow on the ground. Some of the roads aren't too bad (I've been out), but Harrisburg mayor has announced a state of emergency so no vehicles except emergency ones are allowed on the city streets.

The Sports Show is obviously closed.