PDA

View Full Version : Montalaar Strings

Montalaar
02-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey! I just made my first prestretched string for my Razor-X. I will make one set of cables tomorrow also so i can show you the results. I must admit that i am pretty pleased with the result. The final string was absolutely the right length and really prestretched. THe only thing i am a bit worried of is that it seems as if there are 2 strands in the string that broke during the stretching and serving process.

If you are itnerested i will post some pics tomorrow of my blue/black/green set. :)

bigbob
02-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey there. Post a pic, I'm sure a lot of people would like to see your efforts. Bit of a worry about the broken strands though.

flytier17
02-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi Simon,

Nice to see you have ventured into the string making! Thats pretty neat. Post a pic, I'd like to see.

Alec

bfisher
02-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Hey Simon, please post the pic. Of course we're interested. You bugged the heck out of me long enough about posting pics. Now it's my turn.

Montalaar
02-12-2010, 12:29 AM
I just have to finish the servings on two of the cables. After that i will make some pictures. :)

Nice to see you back here Alec. I was wondering what happens to you. Much work to do for you?

Montalaar
02-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Here we go. :)

TXN
02-12-2010, 08:19 AM
That looks nice, Montalaar. I'm just curious as to why people make their own strings. Is it that you can get better performance or just because you enjoy the satisfaction of being able to do it? I'm still at the point where I'm learning how to adjust my draw stop, so I think string making is a little further into the future for me:)

Montalaar
02-12-2010, 12:23 PM
For me there are approx. four reasons:

1) I really enjoy to do anything possible myself. Fletching and cresting arrows, tuning the bow and accessoires and so on. It means alot of fun AND recreation to me to do so. Also i know that i can count on anything at a tournament. That is why i also use a catfish loop directly mounted onto the string instead of one of those standard loops.

2) Making my own strings gives me the chance to try things out. I have done this while i was a recurve shooter and i am really happy to be able to make my own compound strings now, too. I just order some colors i like and combine them into a nice set of string. It is just great.

3) It is much easier for me to make my own string than to order a set of strings form anywhere in the world. There are few good string makers in germany (i really trust them, one of the two is ht eowner of my Martin Pro shop) but as always strings are not that cheap and not always the way i want them.

4) Making my own strings (and also for friends) is much less expensive. I can order the material for around 4 sets or more and pay less than i would have to pay if i just order one set of a string with two cables.

Mainly it is just because i CAn and i LIKE it. :)

TXN
02-12-2010, 12:52 PM
"because I can and I like it" works for me. I do the same sort of thing with building fires with flint and steel, tanning my own leather, curing meats, etc. I could easily pull out a match or a butane lighter to start my fire, but there's something quite satisfying about building a fire from a spark:). Making strings seems like a really worthwhile skill for someone who is dedicated to archery, so it may be something I'll take an interest in learning someday. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Montalaar
02-12-2010, 01:08 PM
When my crimson Shadowcat arrives i will make a set of mountainberry/orange strings with orange and black servings. At least this combination sounds good to me. I just need to order the orange serving.

brushrat
02-12-2010, 01:50 PM
sweet! :):)

Spiker
02-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Nice job Simon !!!

flytier17
02-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah, too busy. Had to hang up the hunting bow halfway through the season because I didn't have time. Shot the S4 a little indoor, and practiced in my basement about twice a week, but I really haven't had time to shoot that much. I've had even less time to fool around on the Internet, so I haven't been here for a while. I should be here more from now on.

Very nice strings. I like the job you did on your loop. Can you move it to tune, or do you have to build it perfectly in place from the start?

Alec

I just have to finish the servings on two of the cables. After that i will make some pictures. :)

Nice to see you back here Alec. I was wondering what happens to you. Much work to do for you?

alex
02-15-2010, 03:33 AM
Very good strings, Simon! Do you take orders? :D

Montalaar
02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Sorry for the delay. I took some days off in northern germany. :)

Thanks Alex.
I fear that it is a bit of too time consuming at the moment.

Thanks Alec,
The loop is tied in place but it can be moved up and down on the serving as long as there are no nocking points.