PDA

View Full Version : Razor X up and running

bigbob
02-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Just thought I would give an up date on the Razor x I bought 'new' but old stock.Finally got it set up and had a few shots. Man am I impressed as a life long finger shooter. After setting the pins and a couple of shake down shots I put three arrows in a one inch group at 20 Meters! It has a vapourtrail limbdriver rest ,Truglo 5 pin sight, S coil stabilizer and jim fletcher peep and I am very pleased with it, ---BUT the only sour note is serving damage at the cam / module join, - when I contacted Martin they said it was 'normal' and not to worry about it. It is not so much the serving seperation as the string being flattened or distorted at that spot. Dont want to have to re string it every few weeks.I sent Martin another email to that effect but no reply.

brushrat
02-16-2010, 08:43 PM
how bout some pics..........;):)

bigbob
02-16-2010, 10:04 PM
what pics -the bow or the serving damage? In any case, I will have to wait until my daughter comes home as I'm not the best on uploading stuff .

brushrat
02-17-2010, 09:35 AM
i was was just curious as to what Martin calls "normal".

Don't worry bout pics if your not set up to do that.......its, no "biggy". :)

bigbob
02-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Here's a look at the serving and string. Macro lens wouldnt pick it up properly , but you might see the string is flattened where the serving is spread.Can only see it getting worse not better.

brushrat
02-18-2010, 05:17 PM
i disagree with Martin. That looks like more than what i would consider normal. I am not an expert on strings and servings, but even with a very sharp bend on the modual that still seems excessive. Maybe someone else has an opinion?

That looks like it will make a real fine hunting bow regardless.:)

bigbob
02-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks. I agree that it seems excessive. Perhaps I better email the pics to Martin.Havent been able to use the bow out hunting as yet as I have difficulty being able to access suitable areas where I currently live, but am working on it.I have a cougar elite I use barebow for comps., and dont intend to go to this bow for them, as I get too much enjoyment from hitting the same zone as some one with all the gear.Not that I always do of course, but when I do, I get more from it than I would with sights etc.Hope some others might make a comment on the string damage, although it is not quite as obvious in the photos as it is really.

bigbob
02-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Any body else got an opinion on the serving and string damage?

Dave308
02-20-2010, 01:54 AM
Yeah, that seems like way to much damage for that little of shooting. Do you have another mod for it? If not maybe one of us here can round one up for you.

bigbob
02-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Just put another metal mod on it to replace the previous one, both F7 to suit the dyna cam and made no difference as far as I can tell

Dave308
02-21-2010, 12:44 AM
Thats messed up. Try calling them, I know their not to good at replaying to e-mails.

bigbob
02-21-2010, 02:33 AM
Thought about that but I am in the land of kangaroos and koalas and there is the time differences to consider too.I sent Martin an email with the same pics and am waiting to see if they respond . I am a Martin fan and hear so much about their customer service being so great, I just hope it is.Due to the distances involved, the fact I bought it from the States, and my nearest local Martin dealer being over a hour away anyway, makes things a little bit harder too.The bow is every thing I wanted but it loses a bit of appeal if it mangles strings.

bigbob
02-22-2010, 01:49 AM
Is B. Fisher and Roger around to make to make a comment on this at all?Would like to hear your opinion as well.

bfisher
02-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Is B. Fisher and Roger around to make to make a comment on this at all?Would like to hear your opinion as well.

Yeah man, I'm here now. I have read down to here and taken a look at your pics and am in agreement with you. For a couple weeks of shooting that is too much serving separation.

However, over the years it has been very common, especially with single cammed bow and higher letoff where the rollover of the module is sharper. Is it normal? Well, I hate to use that term, because serving separation is not normal. It is quite common though, especially with poor string construction.

I've had lots of bows in the past that experienced the same thing. It is one of those unfortunate things we consumers have had to put up with. It is changing as strings are getting better as are construction methods.

You are in a bind. You have a couple of choices. If you get new strings from Martin (maybe) you'll probably end up with the same problem. If you buy some generic strings from a bow shop you'll probably end up with the same problem.

If you have the capability and tools you could remove the cable and reserve it yourself. Or you could get it done elsewhere. This would work for a while. In the meantime order a good set of custom strings from somebody like VaporTrail, Prostrings, Bucknasty or others. You can find further information about string makers on AT.

Much as I hate to say it, this is one of the problems that has not been dealt with completely by most of the bow manufacturers. It's changing slowly, but you happen to have a slightly older bow that didn't have strings that were up to snuff.

bigbob
02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks Barry you have basically confirmed my deductions. Incidently those photos were taken after no more than 30 shots went through the bow.Far too much damage for that, and what I am most concerned about is although the photos dont show it adequately, the string is flattened or mashed as well. What's more annoying is I sent those shots to Martin and havent had any reponse, apart from the answer to my first email about it, where their reply was its just 'normal'.Guess I 'll just have to get it re served again for now, until I can afford a custom string. Very annoying.

brushrat
02-22-2010, 05:10 PM
bigbob.......As bfisher said strings and cables have gotten better through the years....more people doing it, better material, stretching as they build the string.

Back in the days when those strings were made for those bows they just weren't that great . If you can't get Martin to own up to a bad string and at least OFFER to send you a replacement sting/cable set, then i would just buy a $20 replacement cable through one of the company's that bfisher listed.

Your string is new so you don't have to mess with re-setting you're peep, loop and your string silencers.

After you shoot out that set,then you could order up a new custom set with the "newer" materials. I think you will have much better luck with a custom set and forget Martins strings.:rolleyes:

bigbob
02-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks for your comments Brushrat and B.Fisher. As usual I put the cart before the horse, of course it is the CABLE we are talking about. Am going to get a good set once my limited budget allows, but would still love to hear SOMETHING from Martin . After all even though the bow is a few years old it is still brand new, bought as left over stock and no bow should do that sort of damage after so few shots. Over to you Martin people.

RogerSr
02-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Hey Bob, the older string and cables are not as good is the ones we have now but that is not right to have one come apart that soon, you can try to have it reserved, I hope Martin helps you out on this.

bigbob
02-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks to all for your replies on this, appreciate it but never heard anything from Martin at all .Not good.

bigbob
02-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Finally heard from Martin in response to my pics, and they still insist damage to serving is 'normal'. It's not so much the serving separation as the cable being flattened or squashed I am worried about. If its doing that, no after market cable will remedy the problem. You have seen the pics , so one can make up their own mind as to whether its 'normal' or not.Not very happy.

bfisher
02-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Finally heard from Martin in response to my pics, and they still insist damage to serving is 'normal'. It's not so much the serving separation as the cable being flattened or squashed I am worried about. If its doing that, no after market cable will remedy the problem. You have seen the pics , so one can make up their own mind as to whether its 'normal' or not.Not very happy.

I did forget to comment about the cable getting the flattened area. I'm only working on theory with this but I think it happens because the cable wasn't twisted enough before it was served. One that has enough twists will tend to remain more round, especially once it is served. In and of itself that flattening is not a major concern so long as you don't see abraded or broken strands.

Here again, it's just one of the details that have come to light and is becoming more commonly known,,,,,,and addressed as bows and all accessories improve over the years.

If and when you replace the rigging on the bow you shouldn't see any of the issues you now have so long as you get decent aftermarket rigging. Almost any good string maker will guarantee for one year against serving separation and/or peep rotation so this should give you some idea of how much better most are in comparison to the older factory strings.

brushrat
02-25-2010, 05:04 PM
bigbob...i know you're not very happy and i don't blame you. You should never have to replace ANYTHING on a bow that was purchased new. I think you got a substandard cable when it was made,the serving was not drawn tight and that allowed it to elongate. The good thing is, it doesn't sound like any of the strands are cut so i don't see any reason it still can't be used. Granted we all know its not right.

the new strings and cables that are not made by Martin are stretched and served at around 200-300 lbs to keep the finnished string and cables round and not to elongate. They can be purchased off the internet for as cheap as $15 (if you don't mind black). One place that comes to mind is on E-bay , they go by RRCHERRY.COM.

Good luck

bigbob
02-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks, Barrie and Brushrat,
I agree with all your comments, and one should not have to replace the rig so soon on any new bow. Have seen quite a few string makers on AT with reasonable prices and know they pre stretch their strings and cables so that is what I will do. Looking at the cable and string on it , although new it doesnt seem to have enough twists, as you mentioned, so could be most of the problem. Thanks to all and have a great day.

Robert58
02-28-2010, 03:57 PM
It is common for Martin strings to have serving seperation or at least all of the Martin strings I have had on my bows. Three sets. I now have one, not factory, set that I shot for two years and replaced but am keeping for a back up. The set I am now shooting on Martin A Cams that are pron to separated where the cables hit the draw module have no separation. Both sets were made buy the man I bought the Scepter II riser and A Cams from. 20X on AT I think. And he is not in the business of making custom strings.

Robert

bigbob
02-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all your responses guys, I am just gonna wait now until I can amass enough readies to get some good custom strings. Too many things to get and too little where withall. [ dont have enough money] Funny thing though, since I have set this bow up, the razor x, although it is my first bow with sights, release, etc, and I am pretty accurate with it I still much prefer to use my old cougar elite and fingers for comps.Get far more from just looking at a target and letting go than i do from using all the gear. Seems one expects to hit what you are going for with sights, whereas with fingers and barebow it is always a little suprise to get it most of the time.If that makes sense.