PDA

View Full Version : Feathers or plastic

J758
02-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Time to re fletch my arrows don't really know the diffrence between festers and plastic and will feathers change my sighting

J758
02-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I have shot both really saw no diffrence opinions anyone

jcautrey
02-28-2010, 05:18 PM
I use NAP Quikspin st 2.25" I really like them I have never shot feathers

stickflngr
02-28-2010, 08:36 PM
out to 40 yards or so the feathers will shoot faster and after that they will eat youre speed some..... Kenny

giltyone
02-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I've always been a feather guy. I use either 3" round back or 5" round back. Slight right helical.

Ehunter
03-01-2010, 05:53 PM
I have used feathers, and vanes both over the years. I would recomend plastic vanes if they are for hunting arrows. Feathers, even when "waterproofed" have always tended to shoot a bit funny when wet for me. I have used Blazer vanes for several years, shooting up around the 300 fps mark, and with fixed blade braodheads. I use the Slick Trick heads, never had a planing problem.

DeepRiverBowman
03-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Just to demonstrate how everyone sees things differently, I've shot both over the years and prefer feathers for hunting.

Feathers weigh less and shoot faster. Because they have a rough surface area they slow down more than vanes beyond 40 or 50 yards (my average shot is 12-15 yards). Also because they have a rough surface area, they stabilize the arrow better - this is why I prefer them for hunting. They are more stable and forgiving and able to correct arrow flight better.

You can also shoot feathers when they have been shredded by lots of shooting and hitting other feathers without signifigant loss of stabilization. If you punch a hole in a vane, it makes more noise.

They do get wet and mat down. Cover them with a sandwich bag (or shoot vanes) in the rain. I don't hunt when it's raining.

Also consider your shots. At less than 25 yards AND with a properly spined arrow and broadhead combination you should be able to shoot with no fletchings. The bottom line is that it doesn't matter what you shoot if your equipment is properly matched and tuned. The fletching is just there for when have a less than perfect release.

Either one you choose will be just fine. You can also play with helical (more or less), offsets (for better clearance), and size (high/low profile, length, number - 3, 4, 6? etc.)

Rockyhud
03-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Check out the fletchings review on the Archery Report website (archeryreport.com). He tested several types of plastic vanes and feathers and even graphed the speed drop results over 40 yards. The feathers are fastest out of the bow but start slowing down the quickest as well. One of the best vanes at retaining speed was the Fusion.