PDA

View Full Version : How do you Measure a bow String???

jcautrey
03-01-2010, 02:49 PM
I have a Martin Friecat with the megawheel and the string looks a little worn. what would be the best way to measure the string so I can get a new one?? And the Pro Shop here is worthless they don't help they take your money and throw you out the door.

bfisher
03-01-2010, 04:58 PM
The proper way is to remove the string from the bow, attach each end to a 1/4" post, and stretch it to 100# pressure. Then measure to the outside of the posts (inside of the end loops).

Not everybody can do this so I'd say to remove it and measure from end loop to end loop as best you can with a tape and add 1/4". This is just an educated guess.

Does the bow have a sticker on the inside of the bottom limb? If so the info for string/cable length should be on the sticker. Of course, with an older bow it may be faded.

Do you know the year of manufacture? Maybe somebody on here has the specs for the model you have.

jcautrey
03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
The sticker was faded but I think it said 69 but I am not sure I bought the bow before december and been trying to get it going for next hunting season. The year I have no Idea when ever Martin was using the Mega wheel. The last owners manuel I could get was from Decemebr of 2005 when Martin was using the Tri draw wheel, the quik change energy cams, or the force wheels. i have called Martin Archery several time and they don't have and more info on this bow.

jcautrey
03-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Right Now I really like the bow but I am considering selling it and getting a new one. (MAYBE) I like practicing with it. I think it is a good bow for me to learn the in and outs on. Because it is and older bow things are a little more difficult.