PDA

View Full Version : Strings and cables

Ehunter
03-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Got my Firecat to the right ATA and BH, everything is going great, except now one of the cable servings has come undone (broken). What are some good brands of cables to use? Also, since it took 13 and 15 turns to get the ATA right, what length should I get? Seems a bit shorter cables would prevent alot of the turning, and subsequent serving problem. Thanks for any and all help! I'll eventually quit bugging everyone, I promise! lol

bfisher
03-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't get a new cable(s). What you have is Stome Mountain Dakota strings and they are pretty good. I'd just reserve the end that is broken or have it reserved by a shop. Adding the twists probably made the bundle smaller and loosened the serving. Cost for reserving should be minimal. Cerainly less expensive than a new one.

Ehunter
03-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the reply bfisher. I'll start looking for a shop to reserve the cable. Just wasn't sure if that was the way to go or not. Thanks again!

bfisher
03-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Seriously, not that I'm sticking up for Martin, but I just replaced the strings on my 2008 FireCat with those from the factory. I usually give factory strings a try to see how well they hold up aginst creep and peep turning, but eventually end up getting aftermarket strings.

The Dakota strings that came on my "Cat" seemed to be just as good as any custom ones I've used so I just ordered them when I upgraded the rest of the bow with 2010 parts (except the CCS). It's only been a couple months, but so far these are showing signs of the same stability.

The act of twisting strings does make the whole bundle tighter, which will loosen the serving, no matter who makes the string or the material it's made of. Just depends on how many you have to add and the length to begin with.

If you don't already have the tools I would recommend getting a good serving tool and some serving material. This way you can try doing it yourself. I often strinp the center serving and replace it with a different diameter serving just for better nock fit.

For what it's worth I shoot a rope release with the rope right against the bottom of the nock. In 22 years I've never worn a serving out to the point of needing replaced. Sometimes they get loose or bad nock fit. That's why I have the tools. Lets me fix things without having to travel or waste my time. I do it when my schedule allows. And a spool of serving material lasts a very long time.