PDA

View Full Version : Fixing cam over-rotation

hunt123
03-07-2010, 09:44 AM
I noticed a post from a few years ago stating that there should be about 3/8" space between the end of the cam groove and where the string contacts the cam. The post was about noise issues someone was having.

I just measured mine and I have 5/8" space. Is that within factory spec or is it over-rotated and I should remove some twists? The ATA is exactly where it should be so removing twists would change that slightly.

The bow shoots fine, it's just that I like to do every little tweak possible to quiet it down. 09 Bengal. Actually, now that I think about it, that'll slow it down if I remove twists. Takes some of the pre-load off. Not good. Especially since I shoot 437 grain arrows.

Anyway, what do you all think? Leave it alone? Change it? I can't comment regarding the noise level because I don't have much of a background shooting other bows to compare it to. Maybe it's as quiet as can be expected, maybe it isn't. I just can't tell.

bfisher
03-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Your bow has a different cam on than the earlier models discussed before. What the gap should be between the cam groove and the string I don't know.

My suggestion would be to have someone else listen to your bow as you shoot it and see what they think. You could also have someone else shoot the bow and you listen to it. Bows somehow always sound louder when you are the one doing the shooting.

As for twisting? You don't say what you want to twist. Twisting the cable would roll the cam back more (over rotate) making the string/groove distance shorter. Also making the draw weight go up and the draw length longer. Twisting the string does the opposite.

Measure the A2A and brace height and if they are both close to specs then I'd just shoot the bow. If there is no noticable hand shock or other vibration I'd leave it along for now.

Don't overthink things. Save the brain power for concentrating on shooting form and shot execution.

hunt123
03-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I was thinking of twisting the string when I wrote that. OK, well I know the ATA is right, I'll measure the brace height, then leave it alone. Thanks. :)

treadwayc
03-07-2010, 04:45 PM
My bow sounds loud when I SHOOT IT. However, if someone else shoots my bow it sounds very quiet. The folks I shoot with comment on how quiet it is, but when I shoot it for whatever reason it sounds loud. ??????

bowgramp59
03-07-2010, 05:46 PM
thats normal , has happened to me also, a lot quiter when someone else shoots it. the gap on the m-pro and the m2-pro are different. it is longer on the m2-pro.

bowgramp59
03-07-2010, 06:34 PM
i have a picture of my 09 moab cam the hole that the arrow is pointing to is where mine is when i think it is timed properly.

bowgramp59
03-07-2010, 06:37 PM
notice the edge of the hole is flush with the bottom of the limb.