PDA

View Full Version : Target Bow and plastic vanes

frankm
03-07-2010, 11:18 PM
My kid has a simple black Martin 30 lb. target bow. I have some arrows (Vapors) with plastic vanes that I would like him to use. Should I let him use them as is, or should I get feathers put on them? I guess I want to know if they'll really affect his accuracy as he learns. I don't want to discourage him. Thanks.

Montalaar
03-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Plastic vanes are absolutely okay.

As you will see all FITA archers will use plastic vanes on their arrows. If you plan to let him shoot farther than around 20 yds a feather will slow the arrow down too fast. Esspecially at 30 lbs.

frankm
03-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Oh, I forgot, there is no arrow rest, only the shelf. Is that still ok?

willow ms
03-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Plastics are great, however if he is is using a side mount stick on type rest feathers would be better. If the rest needs changing to use vanes, I would just swap the rest. That's just an opinion. Hope to have been some help!Willow

willow ms
03-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Off the shelf or with a shelf type rest I would recomend feathers. Is there a rest mounting hole on the bow? If there is, get him a rest that will allow him to shoot vanes. He will be much more accurate and will enjoy learning to shoot all the more. They are our future!

frankm
03-08-2010, 10:19 AM
No, there is no rest. It's a generic target bow with the ambidexterous handle that you buy for about 30 bucks anywhere.

Montalaar
03-08-2010, 10:23 AM
I see no problem with plastic anyway. The archers paradox will bent the arrow aroudn the shelf - no matter what vanes you use.

willow ms
03-10-2010, 09:05 PM
You are correct Simon, but when we shot off the shelf or shelf type stick on rest, we always prefered feathers. I prefer to shoot vanes altogether. They hold up under adverse conditions and give you added downrange speed. I,m with Simon I would stick with the vanes! Does he use a mechanical release?

frankm
03-11-2010, 10:18 AM
No, he's shooting with fingers. The bow looks like this.

Montalaar
03-11-2010, 10:47 AM
My vote goes for plastic - again and again and agaaain and .. :))

DeepRiverBowman
03-12-2010, 08:47 PM
IMHO - Any bow shot off the shelf should be using feathers for best flight.

Having added my .02 cents worth and out of respect for the vane people, dust the sight window and shelf with some powder or a few strokes with lipstick and shoot the vanes. This will show if you're getting the necessary clearance with the vanes.

mike

Montalaar
03-13-2010, 12:52 AM
That is a very good suggestion!

frankm
03-13-2010, 10:38 AM
That is a very good suggestion!

I'm going to try it. Thanks!

frankm
03-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Wow, on my kid's target bow, the powder was taken off of at least a third of the rest. You could also see the back of the arrow kick up on the release. I shot his bow from 5 yards out and the arrow stuck in the target with its back end up! I had him shoot some of my feathers and they flew straight. That sealed it, his arrows are in the shop for feathers now. Thanks for the suggestion!:)