PDA

View Full Version : Wheel on Pantera appears to be leaning

guntercb
03-18-2010, 05:29 AM
I have a new Pantera and really love it. The idler wheel appears to be leaning. It appears to lean such that it points to the CCS and it appears maybe Martin designed it to "lean" a bit. Does anyone know if this is correct? Or should the wheel be plumb when the bow is plumb? If it should be plumb can I try to fix it somehow? Or if the bow seems to shoot fine should I just leave it?

Thanks,
Chris

deanrm
03-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Chris,

You can adjust the amount of idler wheel lean by removing the 'long' side of the cable yolk and adding a few twists. You can check the amount of lean by putting a straight edge on the side of the wheel, and run it along your string. They should be parallel.

Dean

guntercb
03-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Chris,

You can adjust the amount of idler wheel lean by removing the 'long' side of the cable yolk and adding a few twists. You can check the amount of lean by putting a straight edge on the side of the wheel, and run it along your string. They should be parallel.

Dean

Dean,

Thanks. I will be sure to adjust the yolk and get the wheel to be parallel with my string. Any clue how it got off kilter from Martin?

Thanks,
Chris

bfisher
03-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Dean,

Thanks. I will be sure to adjust the yolk and get the wheel to be parallel with my string. Any clue how it got off kilter from Martin?

Thanks,
Chris

It's just the way they are assembled. They don't take the time to align the idler wheel. Doing so is kind of trial-and-error and they can assemble another bow in the time this takes.

You're going to find that what we call cam lean is actually the limb tips being twisted to the side that the cable guard and slide are on. The yokes on the cable are the same length. The yoke going to the oppostie side as the cable guard needs to be longer to straighten out the idler. Well, strings aren't made that way so what you have to do is twist up the near side yoke to make it shorter.

It's most prevalent in single cam bows, but almost all bows with a cable guard are susceptable to it. Some are worse than others. The only way you get totally rid of it is to get a bow with a shoot through cable system like Martin's X cams.

russ65034
03-18-2010, 06:36 PM
my fuzion cam leans to the right, i have a left handed bow. does that mean i have to twist the left cable to straighten it. one more thing, do you check lean at rest or full draw. thanks

guntercb
03-19-2010, 04:45 AM
BFisher,

Thanks for the response. It is great to get the support from this forum.

Russ,

You can see my cam lean at rest. Checking lean at full draw sounds dangerous to me. But maybe someone else can is chime in on your question.

Cheers,
Chris

elkslayer4x5
03-19-2010, 08:13 AM
" Checking lean at full draw sounds dangerous to me"
Have someone stand behind you while you draw your bow, if no one is avaible, try standing with your back to a mirror, draw the bow and look at the suspect cam.

brushrat
03-19-2010, 09:58 AM
This is a very common problem with single cam bows. Not having this problem with my dual cam bows it really freaked me out. I got help on this forum and twisted up the yoke about 8 twists and stopped the string wear immediately.

Having said that..... I think bow manufacturers should realize (and i guarentee they do) that customers may need to deal with idler lean adjustment and just dedicate a space in their "bow owner manuals" , because not everyone has access to a forum. ;)

guntercb
03-20-2010, 05:30 AM
OK, I fixed my idle wheel lean and looked at my bottom cam and it is leaning too. Is there any way to correct this bottom cam lean? Or do I have to live with it?

Thanks,
Chris

guntercb
03-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on if I should worry about my cam leaning? What degree cam lean would be out of specifications?

Thanks,
Chris

oncechance
03-22-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm no pro but what I have read there should be no cam lean. I picked mine up from the pro shop that corrected this for me. You should take a ruler and put it on the side of the idler wheel and it should be parallel with the draw string. If not, you need to twist the cables to get it to line up.

guntercb
03-23-2010, 04:51 AM
My upper idler wheel is parallel to the string; however, my lower cam is not parallel. How much lean is considered too much for the lower cam which does not seem adjustable?

Thanks,
Chris

bfisher
03-23-2010, 08:26 AM
My upper idler wheel is parallel to the string; however, my lower cam is not parallel. How much lean is considered too much for the lower cam which does not seem adjustable?

Thanks,
Chris

If you hold a straight edge along the side of the cam there shouldn't be more than about 1/2" gap at the nocking point. Any more than this and the limb is being twisted too much or one fork of the limb may be weak. There's no way to adjust for the cam. It might be a warranty issue. One way to tell is to swap the limbs from one end to the other.

It's also possible the machining is off where the bearing is pressed in. It doesn't happen often, but very once in a while........

guntercb
03-23-2010, 08:54 AM
If you hold a straight edge along the side of the cam there shouldn't be more than about 1/2" gap at the nocking point. Any more than this and the limb is being twisted too much or one fork of the limb may be weak. There's no way to adjust for the cam. It might be a warranty issue. One way to tell is to swap the limbs from one end to the other.

It's also possible the machining is off where the bearing is pressed in. It doesn't happen often, but very once in a while........

Bfisher,

Yikes. I am pretty sure that the gap from the nock to the straight edge is greater than 1/2", I will check tonight.

Swapping limbs, I will have to read up on how to do that so I don't make a mistake.

Thanks,
Chris

bfisher
03-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Bfisher,

Yikes. I am pretty sure that the gap from the nock to the straight edge is greater than 1/2", I will check tonight.

Swapping limbs, I will have to read up on how to do that so I don't make a mistake.

Thanks,
Chris

A little hint. Take pictures of the cams, cable/string routing and anything else you might want to remember. It's not hard. I can do it in about than 1/2 hour, but I've done a few limb/cam changes in my life.

guntercb
03-23-2010, 10:03 AM
A little hint. Take pictures of the cams, cable/string routing and anything else you might want to remember. It's not hard. I can do it in about than 1/2 hour, but I've done a few limb/cam changes in my life.

Bfisher,

I plan on taking lots of photos. I just need to find a night to do the work now. I just hope the bearing was pressed in such that the cam / wheel will sit paralell to the string. I guess I will find out shortly. I found a YouTube video on swaping out limbs so I think I am good to try it. I will report back on what I find.

Thanks,
Chris

guntercb
03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Bfisher,

I just got off the phone with Joey with Martin's technical support and he said not to worry about the cam lean. He said unless it is rubbing against the limb, cutting the string, or causing some other issue that it is fine. Joey said that Martin does not even measure the degree of cam lean.

The bow seems to be shooting fine and I don't have much free time these days; therefore, I plan to just keep the lean as is.

Cheers,
Chris