PDA

View Full Version : Serving for Idler Wheel?

oncechance
03-18-2010, 09:54 AM
bfisher/Montalaar,

Is it a good idea to serve the string where it goes over the idler wheel? I just purchased my Firecat this year and I keep the string waxed good. I get paranoid about threads that I read and this one is making me paranoid. Should I or just let it go and enjoy the bow? Please help ease the paranoia.

Thanks,

Montalaar
03-18-2010, 10:34 AM
As long as you experience no problems with string wear i would not serve it. A friend of mine had a Bengal without serving on the idler and had no problems (now she has a new string with serving..).

If you want to assure yourself that nothing happens you can apply a serving. I do not see this as a necessary thing just as an option. As long as there is no wear around the idler there should be no problem.

oncechance
03-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback Simon.

bfisher
03-18-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm not laughing at you, but I do find this a little off-key. Are you asking about the FireCat? It doesn't have an idler wheel. It's got two cams.

Now if you are asking about a single cammed bow then I can see Simon's point. However, last year I had a Moab with the single M2Pro cam. The string was not served where it rolled over the idler nor were the cable znd string served where they roll through the CCS. The first thing I did was serve both places.

I agree with Simon in that there is no need if you don't have a problem area there, but I'd err on the side of caution and do it first thing. Once you start noticing wear in these areas the string and cable have already been damaged to some extent. Why take the chance?

Montalaar
03-19-2010, 01:43 AM
Oh, come on Barry...

In 2010 there is a Single-Cam Firecat TR1 and a Twin-Cam Firecat TR2. Do not tell me that you forgot about that! ;)

Ehunter
03-20-2010, 01:13 PM
I've shot a Moab for 2 years with no serving on the string around the idler wheel. Not a bit of string wear showing. I think if everything is set up right and looking fine, you should have no worries. If it does bother you, no harm in serving it.

bfisher
03-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Oh, come on Barry...

In 2010 there is a Single-Cam Firecat TR1 and a Twin-Cam Firecat TR2. Do not tell me that you forgot about that! ;)

Sorry to say, Simon, but that did slip my mind. Guess my mind i slipping.

bowgramp59
03-20-2010, 08:43 PM
the next time i have strings mad for my moabs there will be no serving around the idler wheel, as a mater of fact ther will be no serving anywhere that isn't nessary. martin wouldn't put a bow out without serving if they thought it would cause a problem, i shot a moab for quit a time that wasn't served, no problems. i'm not sure we need it where the string contacts the sts, all that serving slows the string down and IMO makes more noise.

bfisher
03-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Gramps,

You're entitled to your opinion, but I have requested the shortest serving I could from several custom string makers and gotten the same suggestion from them. Serving over the idler does not slow the bow down to any extent because it's not near the center section where the nock (loop) is located. Same can be said for the end servings on any string/cable or where the string rolls through the CCS rollers.

I would agree that having a long center serving that extends all the way to the factory STS is totally unecessary. In fact, any center serving longer than about 3" is totally unnecessary.

As for the idea of Martin not putting serving over the idler section? I'm not always so sure I'd "take their word for it" that it's not needed. Just generally speaking, we consumers become guinea pigs for a lot of "innovations" that may or may not work out in the real world. Somebody has to do the experimenting and the engineers at factories don't have the time to shoot thousands of shots out any given bow to what works or doesn't. That's what we're here for.

golfn4me2
03-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Sorry Gentelmen, I,m new to this forum and can't figure out how to start my own thread. Have a question for anyone...Are the modules which accompany a new bow for real or just to determine the proper draw length. I'm being told that "real" (used for shooting) modules are metal and these plastic ones should not be used permantly. Any help will appreciated. Thanks in advance

Spiker
03-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Sorry Gentelmen, I,m new to this forum and can't figure out how to start my own thread. Have a question for anyone...Are the modules which accompany a new bow for real or just to determine the proper draw length. I'm being told that "real" (used for shooting) modules are metal and these plastic ones should not be used permantly. Any help will appreciated. Thanks in advance

You shouldn't have any problems using the composite modules however if you are concerned you can purchase a metal one thru your dealer when you know which one suits you best.

bfisher
03-22-2010, 11:42 AM

As said you can order a metal one, but the composite modules have been in use for many years. They usually hold up well unless you get careless and crossthread one.