PDA

View Full Version : Cable Guard clearance issue

O man
05-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I just went to 2" blazer vanes and I noticed that I'm getting a clearance problem now. Should I just bend or try and move the cable bar/guard or should I go back to a lower profile vane:confused:

alex
05-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I doubt you can bend the cable guard, you'd better go back to the old vanes.

bfisher
05-08-2010, 12:51 PM
You need to say what bow you have and whether it has a straight cable rod or a dog-legged one. If it's a straight one you're kinda stuck with the rod, which isn't going to bend. You could go to a shop and play around with different slides. Some pull the cables a little closer to the rod which might give you the clearance you need.

The only other option I can see would be to change vanes to a lower profile type. Although Blazers seem to be the rage these days they do have a higher profile and can and do give clearance issues with some bows. Just because they are popular doesn't mean they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. You have to adapt to what works sometimes.

Possibly you could use something like Duravane LP400 vanes or maybe even LP300 if you tune the bow real well. I have found the LP400 to be only a couple grains heavier than Blazers and very consistent in weight. The lower profile might also make them be a little stiffer than a standard vane.

O man
05-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think going back to my lower profile vanes is most likely what I'll do. The cable guard looks like hardened steel. I didn't think bending it was a good idea. I'm glad I asked.