PDA

View Full Version : Cable slider

jasonrkba
05-14-2010, 03:47 PM
I've got an old Bobcat that I practice with and I'm having trouble with the oval plastic slider for the cables. It keeps popping out of place and now has completely popped off and is lost in the back yard. Now I'm going to get my third one in a month put on, does anyone have a suggestion? Maybe a different kind will work.

jasonrkba
05-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Hmmm.....Lets try this again. It's the plastic slider that rides the string suppressor.

bfisher
05-15-2010, 06:03 PM
I hear ya, but I still don't get what you're talking about.

jasonrkba
05-15-2010, 07:02 PM
It's the cable slide. I'm going to get one that slides on the suppressor similar to this.
http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Archery_Equipment_-_Supplies/Cable_Slides_-_Guards/Winners_Weather_Tamer_Cable_Delrin/Page_1/CGS3085707.html

bfisher
05-15-2010, 07:23 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion ou have some other problem other than just the cable slide. They usually stay on the rod and last for years. What's going on with yours? Is it pulling off the end of the rod when you draw the bow?

Personally, I would suggest a trip to a local pro shop and let them look at it. Without seeing the bow or pictures of it I'd just be guessing at what's going on. Besides, that's what shops are for, and you can get a cable slide there, too.

jasonrkba
05-15-2010, 11:13 PM
New arrow rest +old bow thats probably the isue. We will see I am taking it to my local shop.

Thank you.

alex
05-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Or may be the rod is short - i can't see no other reason for a popping slider. By the way i don't think the oval cable sliders are a good items - yes, the friction would be less, but the cables could slip - and this gives me another idea - if the cable realy slips it's possible after the shot on its way back to shoot the slider off the rod. Can you post a picture of you bow, may be it'll be easier to find out what's wrong.

jasonrkba
05-16-2010, 09:15 AM
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll254/jlbeck182/DSC00893.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll254/jlbeck182/DSC00891.jpg

alex
05-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Well, at least now we know it's not a short rod :) You have a classic bow! I'm quite surprised to see a drop-away rest on it. You'd better use a new slider - there are a lot of options, but i guess you need something older and simpler. I have one probably made by the taiwanian Perfect Line - "Cobra", it's only 2 euros here. I believe it can work well for you.

bfisher
05-16-2010, 06:41 PM
WOW, I didn't expect to see such an older bow. And as Alex said the rod isn't short. You did not fill out your profile so we don't know where you're from. Maybe it's possible for one of us to send you a new one that might work.

jasonrkba
05-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Ahhh...I'm in NC.

bfisher
05-16-2010, 07:37 PM
OK, PM me with shipping information and I'll send you a couple new slides. That means your name and address.

Barry

jasonrkba
05-16-2010, 07:49 PM
PM sent thanks everyone!

bfisher
05-17-2010, 05:55 PM
PM sent thanks everyone!

Gotcha covered. Three new ones on the way tomorrow.

jasonrkba
05-17-2010, 08:53 PM
YOU ROCK! Thanks again.

KStigall
05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Look at the pic and you can see that the cables are too far forward on the cable guard rod. His setup uses a slide that presses against the rod rather than having the rod pass through the cable guide.

If you can do so on this model bow loosen the cable guard rod and try to slide it forward towards the bow. Move it just enough so the cables are on the straight part of the rod and not at the "dog leg". Draw the bow slowly to be sure the cables are NOT going to come off the back of the rod at full draw. Put a new cable slide on and you are done.

If you can't move the cable guard rod forward then something else has gone askew. It could be a few different things. Did this suddenly start happening? Any decent bow shop should see what is up right away.......

bfisher
05-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Good point, Kent. I didn't notice it. In other words what's happening is that the cables are moving too far forward during the shot and the slides ends up with no tension to hold it in place. I think this is an adjustable rod. Couple clamps hold it in place so it can be slide front to back and/or rotated. If it can't be slid there wouldn't be anything wrong with taking a hacksaw and cutting a couple inches off. The thing is plenty long.

At any rate, the slides I am giving him can be used to hold the cables on either side of the rod.

And Jason, my apologies young man. I haven't gotten to the Post Office yet. I'll try my best tomorrow.

jasonrkba
05-19-2010, 08:59 PM
No problem Bary I probably wont be doing much shooting this weekend, I'm afraid we have to have the family dog euthanized Saturday so I'll have to give the wife a little extra attention. He has been a good dog.:( But I will try moving the rod it makes a lot of since that this could be happening. Thanks for the advice Kent.

KStigall
05-20-2010, 08:37 AM
No problem Bary I probably wont be doing much shooting this weekend, I'm afraid we have to have the family dog euthanized Saturday so I'll have to give the wife a little extra attention. He has been a good dog.:( But I will try moving the rod it makes a lot of since that this could be happening. Thanks for the advice Kent.

You're welcome. Pull the cables off the back of the guard rod before loosening the rod screws. By the way, you want the cables as close as possible to the arrow and you can do this by rotating the rod after its loosened. Of course you do not want the arrow fletching to contact the cables.

bfisher
05-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the dog. Same thing happened to me a few years back and that beagle was my hunting buddy. I bawled like a baby and think about her often. I think I could have parted with my wife easier. Such is life. Now I'm too old and travel too much to get another one and the wife would kill me if I did and I'm not ready to die just yet.

By the way, the cable slides just went in the mail.

Thanks again to Kent for seeing what I didn't. Get that rod positioned right and your troubles will be over.

jasonrkba
05-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Sound great Bary, Thanks again. Having a time and date makes it a little harder to deal with but the little guy is 13 years old and has had a good life. He is blind, def and becoming incontinent with testicular cancer. We have had a very rough 7 years and he has been a joy for us in those times so I cant bare to watch him suffer. We also have an English Bulldog that's about 8, I hope she handles it OK. A quick question about the rod, I moved it forward about an inch and still have about another quarter inch I can move it so were good there but Kent said to adjust it so that the strings run as close as possible. I can pretty much turn it so that the bend is either straight up or straight down....which should it be? I would think down but I'm not sure. Also will this change my knock position for the arrow?

-Jason-

bfisher
05-21-2010, 07:42 AM
I usually turn a rod so it's closer to the center of the string. It's just a theory on my part, but I think this balances out any torque between the limbs if you know what I mean. So in your case I would angle it for about 5 o'clock as viewed from the back.

What Kent was saying was that you only need to turn the cables out far enough to achieve fletching clearance and maybe 1/8" more. Pulling the cables farther to the side only adds side torque to the limbs, twisting them.

With your bow, it the side load would be minimal because of the overall length of the bow, but no reason to add more than necessary.

You say you can move the rod forward another 1/4". Go ahead and do so. Just be sure you don't slide it too far forward so that when you draw it the slide and cables pull off the back end. Once you draw the bow if there's about an inch or two of rod left then that's plenty..

When you get the new slides if you have any questions on how to install one let me know.

jasonrkba
05-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Will do. Thanks Bary.